Dylan - Shot of Love

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by duggan, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

CORRECTION : Please excuse my error in my post above...
    The "Shot Of Love" Precision Lacquer acetate of side two has four (4) songs - (prior to adding GSWATA).

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Agreed! And track 1 is kinda right for things that are happening right now, is it not?

Icicles hanging down, indeed!

3. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

To me, Shot Of Love truly is an amazing album! The out-takes are also excellent and well worth seeking out. Actually, that whole era (1979-1983) makes up for yet another strong period in Dylan's career.... Pretty strong singing and deep, meaningful lyrics throughout! A Bootleg Series set covering those years would be more than welcome, if you ask me.

Maranatha5585, duggan and Beaneydave like this.
  4. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Agreed about the rankings of the albums. "Heart of Mine" is lovely and needs more respect in Dylan's output.
    "Lenny Bruce" is over-rated.
    "The Groom's..." would definitely pick up the album, I used to enjoy it as the 7" and wonder why it didn't get onto the album.

5. davers

davers Forum Resident

Indeed, 1979-1983 is my favorite Dylan era.

duggan likes this.
  6. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Adamski777 and duggan like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

8. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Pretty good album. Toning down the Christianity message. One of his more varied albums maybe, from Property of Jesus to a tribute to Lenny Bruce and the epic ballad "Every Grain of Sand", it's top ten favorite Dylan songs for me.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

He was becoming indecisive at that time. He was passionate about what he was singing and writing. But people couldnt have have cared less. Didnt get what he was doing at all. I can see why he changed styles to a more slick sound. Which was a mistake in some ways, because he second guessed himself a lot. And though some pretty strong songs were left off of Shof Of Love, the pattern got even worse with Infidels.

Dylan has admitted since that he was pretty much going through the numbers and lost his way by the mid 80s. Shot of Love, though imo a very good album, started the fuse to the keg of haze. I dont think he cared what people thought during the Gospel trilogy. Which is one reason that period stands up as good as it does even if many dont like the style and substance. At least Dylan was being real and himself. Which is what he did from the beginning of fusing heavy poetic surrealism to "going electric" to country Bob etc etc. Shot Of Love may have been the last time he did that until Time Out Of Mind.

Fender Relic likes this.
  10. Shot Of Love
    In The Summertime
    Grooms Still waiting At The Altar
    Angelina
    Caribbean Wind
    Need A Woman
    Yonder Comes Sin
    Every Grain Of Sand
    END

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Never have understood why people like Carribean Wind so much.

SteveM and Beaneydave like this.
  12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah. It's all right, but no lost masterpiece IMO. I don't think it's better than the stuff that did make the album.

mpayan likes this.
  13. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

If I recall the discussions when the Complete Album Collection Vol. 1 was released, Shot of Love was NOT a remaster. I believe it was the only album (aside from more recent albums) in that set that didn’t include a remastered version.

14. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Well, it's a great song, stirring imagery and great arrangement and production. Excellent vocal too.

15. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Shot of Love in Complete Collection has a different mastering than my older CD. It may just be louder.

Tim

16. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I would agree that SOL in the complete albums sounds better than the original

peace and love✌Dave

17. Maranatha5585

Bob Dylan - "Shot Of Love"
    U.S. CBS / Precision Lacquer 12" one-sided acetate of side two.
    First Pass EQ. - w/o "Groom..."
    c., June 1, 1981.

[​IMG]

18. Meh.

19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

wait...carribean wind is at the same level as lenny bruce? surely you jest, sir!

20. wanderer1

wanderer1 Forum Resident

Amazing set of sessions which needs another Bootleg Series. I made a playlist that basically breaks this up into a 4-LP set, starting with what could have been the original LP:

Shot of Love
    Heart of Mine
    Property of Jesus
    Caribbean Wind (TBS Vol 13 version)

Groom
    Dead Man
    In the Summertime
    Angelina

According to Heylin and backed up by the studio logs, Caribbean Wind, Groom, and Angelina were the main three songs to be featured on the album, and were among the first three recorded. None of them appeared on the original LP. Then I include all the other available outtakes and the unique 1981 live tracks in the rest of the playlist, which is quite a bit of music. One of my favorite set of Dylan sessions ever. Menacing songs. The story of a man in love with one (or more?) of his gospel background singers at the end of the age.

duggan and arthurprecarious like this.
  21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i love slow train, shot of love and infidels and only my mood on any given day could pick a favourite. I had always avoided shot, but having got the gospel bootleg series i gave it a go and thought it was great, to the point of not really understanding why it was so maligned.

duggan and Paulo Alm like this.
  22. tages

tages Senior Member

I love his version of "Let It Be Me" on the B-Side of the (UK) "Heart Of Mine" 45.

I don't understand the criticism of the sound of this album, I play the original vinyl regularly and it sounds amazing - one of the fullest sounding albums I've ever heard.

duggan and Paulo Alm like this.
  23. Maranatha5585

"Meh" ... that was a rude statement about an on subject photo (?) :thumbsdow
    and since you absolutely enjoyed the "Shot of Love" 12" acetate, here is the rare 10" Capitol for Columbia Records acetate of "Groom...."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some people...:shrug:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Paulo Alm likes this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It feels like a scrapbook of leftover tracks. It is a scrapbook of leftover tracks. There are some stellar performances regardless. It just for me never gets as a whole.

25. The main (and sufficient reason) for the criticism - and one I am in complete agreement with - is the complete lack of really good songs up to Dylan's usual standards. Add to this the offputing tone and singularly insulting nature of the writer towards his own audience, and it's little wonder the critics had a field day. They were spot on; it inaugurated Dylan's worst decade and a run of seven or eight dismal albums which would follow. That includes Infidels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.