Dylan Singing "You Belong to Me"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mooserfan, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

This was on a soundtrack to a documentary I watched today.

I can't stop listening to it. It may be one of the best things I've ever heard.

2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

One of my favorite Carly Simon songs ever!

Mooserfan likes this.
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yep, that Dylan version is a keeper. I first heard it, I'm guessing, 8 years ago, and like it a lot. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

CBackley and Mooserfan like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Yea nice World Gone Wrong outtake which surfaced on the OST
    Natural Born Killers

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  5. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

The more popular versions are by Jo Stafford and my favorite by The Duprees.

Chris C and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  6. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Yes, it is a lovely track. I have noticed the soundtrack CD turns up cheap nowdays.

[​IMG]

7. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I thought this was going to be about Dylan's Wilburys track If You Belonged to Me... oops. I do like that much better than what the thread is actually about :shh:

Yorick likes this.
  8. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

first one i heard

9. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I loved this the moment I heard it in the cinema!
    I don't know why it hasn't been officially released by Bob. The dialogue on the soundtrack version is annoying.

10. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Did they run out of room on "Side Tracks" or something? Would be the only good reason not to be on there

bluesbro and jumpinjulian like this.
  11. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Carly Simons "You Belong to Me" is a different song.
    Bob's version was written by Chilton Price, Pee Wee King & Redd Stewart.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  12. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

You scared me needlessly. I thought he was going to ruin a classic.

The Elephant Man likes this.
  13. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Jerry Lee Lewis also does a good version on Country Class.

dalem5467 likes this.
  14. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

This song has similarities to Bob Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love" from TOOM. I think Adele does a nice cover version of it, but here is Bob doing it live (the studio version is better).

15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

This was the first Dylan song that I discovered on my own and not through my parents' record collections, so it holds special place in my musical development.

That whole soundtrack is pretty great, if very much of its time. I'm an enormous Tarantino fan, but the film itself is pure garbage.

Tori Amos does a nice version too on the Mona Lisa Smile soundtrack.

16. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Stafford's version is far and away the most popular version of this song. Since it was a hit as I was learning to talk(1952) and since it got airplay everywhere and for years,I guess I kinda took it for granted as it played through the years. Philly DJ legend Jerry Blavat,when not whoring...err,promoting himself over some live appearance and away from the mob ties,can be an informative radio voice,as he is for one hour,once a week,on public WXPN from Philly. In this last year,I caught him spending time setting up the Stafford version,asking the listener to pay attention to the world encompassing lyric. The arrangement(by Stafford's newlywed husband,Paul Weston-this seems like a wedding present from one to the other),Stafford's enunciation(paying attention,Mr. Zimmerman ?) makes this a timeless record-you could hear this at a wedding this weekend and everyone would respond). For some reason,I often find myself picking up a pizza at the same time as the Blavat show. He acts like a human being he set up and the song and kept me in the car for a true driveway moment. didn't have a version in my collection,but found one days later. Popped the CD in the car player and my wife was enthralled,having heard it over the decades,too. I never knew. Sorry Bob,we like a Columbia version of this,just not yours.
    Here's an interesting timeline about Stafford and Weston in 1952,courtesy of Wiki:
    Feb. 26-Marriage in a Catholic Church-Stafford converts to Catholicism.
    Soon after the rice was thrown-Honeymoon/appearances in Europe.
    August 1-Single entered U.S. chart,where it would remain for 28 weeks.
    November 14-Entered the new U.K. chart,becoming the second #1 for the chart in Jan. 19,1953.It charted for 19 weeks. Stafford was the first female singer to top the chart.
    Sometime late 1952,Stafford & Weston welcomed the birth of their first child,Tim.
    Tim has been in the music business for decades,including the distribution of his parents recording catalog.

17. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I always think of patsy cline's being the most popular version.

I love bobs version. Heard it back when the soundtrack came out and never heard it before without the dialogue. Thanks !

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

There's a version out there where the dialog has been digitally removed.

19. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Thanks! Is the Chilton Price, Pee Wee King & Redd Stewart song the same as the Elvis Costello song?
    :--)

20. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

It showed up 3/4's of the way through a documentary at documentaryheaven.com: Human Resources

Now, what the hell it's doing in a film about how powerful institutions try to engineer obedience in citizens is beyond me.

In retrospect I believe the director is using irony by turning this beautiful song of devotion into a statement about pervasive social control. Good doc if you want to check it out.

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Marshall Crenshaw is my go to version. Soundtrack to Peggy Sue Got Married. On the soundtrack album, the speed is off.

22. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Not to worry...he will surly be ruining many clasics with he release of the 3 LP/CD release of "Triplicate".

23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I would've rather heard Dylan cover the Carly Simon/Michael McDonald written song myself ...

24. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Worth owning. Trent Reznor did a great job of weaving dialogue among some truly eccentric and great music choices. It's more entertaining than the movie, in fact.

qwerty likes this.
  25. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

:yikes:

:unhunh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.