Dylan to be in Multichannel?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GoldenBoy, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

Contrary to the CES announcement of the hybrid stereo SACD Bob Dylan titles from Sony, a report in the Audio Revolution email newsletter that I just read states that the Dylan titles will be 're-mixed to surround' where possible. Is this true? Does this mean that we may very well see multichannel mixes of Oh, Mercy, Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft and possibly other titles?

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, not that I trust anything I see on the Sony SACD website, but....
    according to a pop-up, there are fifteen releases in stereo/hybrid ONLY; no multi-channel, and this is made very clear. All are being remastered by Greg Calbi. Of the fifteen listed, ANOTHER SIDE wouldn't work in multi-channel anyway; the 'stereo' edition is near-mono, and it's basically a guitar/voice/harmonica deal to begin with, with little if any overdubbing.
    Shame about the rest, but it doesn't seem like 5.1 is in Dylan's future...:(

Love to be proved wrong, of course!

ED:cool:

3. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

I know - all indications from the parties involved have been that the Dylan SACD's will in fact be hybrid stereo releases. I think that perhaps Audio Revolution is misinformed, unless there has been a reconsideration by Sony/Dylan - who knows? But, alas, I fear that is only wishful thinking.

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

I think you're quite right about the SACD releases, unfortunately, though I'll be quite pleased with stereo-only.

But you're not entirely out-of-luck. The latest Bootleg series release (Live 1975-Rolling Thunder Revue) includes a bonus DVD with 5.1 mixes (and PCM) for "Tangled Up in Blue" and "Isis" (two versions). I wonder why they spent the time and effort to do 5.1 mixes? A new release of "Renaldo and Clara" perhaps? A DVD concert release? If so, a high-res, multichannel SACD would seem like a natural.

5. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

With this release didn't Sony have to do a mix of the multi-tracks anyway? Maybe they figured they would try a 5.1 mix for the bonus songs while they were at it just to see how it would sound and Dylan's people gave the okay.

6. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I would be quite pleased with stereo only also. Do you think Sony will have a lower retail price of these stereo only SACD's.

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

I think Sony is planning to price them at the "CD range" rather than the higher SACD price-point, as this will be a so-called "single inventory" hybrid release like the ABKCO Stones remasters.

BTW, I would love to see more footage from the 75 tour! That bonus DVD really whets my appetite. The shoot is simple, using only a single-camera... but it's just frickin' great! MORE MORE MORE!

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I also have read stereo only...

9. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

I checked with Sony. This batch of Dylan Hybrid SACDs will be Stereo only as announced.

10. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

This project is still in its early planning stages. There is still time to issue it with both mono and stereo sections for those early albums, through Blond on Blond, where unique mono mixes exist. We can only hope. If this project gets off the ground and Bob's management is on board, one can expect that later albums will receive hybrid treatement. Multi-channel mixes are possible with later muti-track albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.