Dynavector 10x5 vs Nagaoka MP-300?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by forgetcolor, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forgetcolor

forgetcolor New Member Thread Starter

I've narrowed down my new cartridge choice to a Dynavector 10x5 and a Nagaoka MP-300. As I haven't heard either cartridge, I was hoping for opinions here. I have a Nagaoka MP-110 and really love it, but am looking for an upgrade for a new turntable (Yamaha PX-3).

I primarily listen to jazz (60s modal and post-bop), 70s fusion, 70s rock, and electronic.

Anyone able to compare the two, or at least to report on your experience with one of them?

2. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

I have a 10x5 and have used them for about 8 years. I'm no expert but I have been happy with it and feel it offers great bang for buck and is a very versatile cartridge. I listen to 60s jazz and 70s rock also (amongst other things).

3. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

10x5 user here. I enjoyed it enough to take a chance on a SS ruby retip when the original cantilever was damaged. The retip retained the overall sound and improved detail and tracking, to the point that I generally enjoyed it more than my Dyna 17D2. I run mine on a 12" VPI unipivot arm into a Sutherland PH3D (45DB, 1K ohm). Rock/Jazz/Electronic/etc.

I have heard nice things about the Nagaoka and would not be surprised if that is a great cartridge as well. Hopefully someone will have experience with both and chime in.

4. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I have an MP500which I like a lot. I also have a Sumiko BPS3 that I've been told is more similar than different to the 10x5. I have them on very different systems so it's pretty hard to compare directly, but from what I hear, the Mp500 is a bit more forward, not as much as my 2MBlack which is pretty in your face. I listen to the BPS3 quite a bit less, but every time I do I love the slightly laid back and listenable qualities of it. Probably doesn't do any one thing better than the MP500 or Black which I think are bot at the top rung of the MM/MI ladder, but it does everything very well!

All that said, I bet they are not all that different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.