Dynavector introduces new cartridge models 10x5 mk2, and Karat 17DX

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KT88, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

This price increase kinda stinks........As much as I think audio gear prices are inflated, this will not help other cart mfg, specifically Lyra. Does the Karat 17DX @ $2250 better a Lyra Delos?? If not then I suspect Lyra will up their prices soon....I'm not ready for a new Delos as with proper care and quality vinyl it can easily last 2,500 hours. I'm easily 3yrs away from that kind of hours total......

My hope is by then the audio price bubble will burst, especially on analog gear.

bajaed likes this.
  2. Ben Compton

Ben Compton Member

I for one can tell you I sent the previous version to sound Smith for a ruby retip with a line contact stylus... The difference was amazing... BUT the compliance profile drastically changed and was no longer such a good fit for my tonearm... My rig now wears an Ortofon 2M Black I scored dealer new for $590... That said; the 10x5 worked well before the retip with the exception of my disdain for the elliptical stylus profile... I am super curious about the new model since in theory the compliance will be similar to the previous model... However, at $750 we are talking real money and they are many more players in that field... None withstanding a fairly new 20x2 on audiogon currently for $690

3. Bongo-hifi

Bongo-hifi Player of gramophone records

I am very cautious about after market re-tipping of cartridges as has been mentioned earlier.

I once had a conversation with Pear Audio on the subject (I am a 17D3 user) who were of the view that Diamond styli don't really wear out under normal use, I believe also Rega hold this view. This makes sense if you consider the hardness of Diamond, it is unlikely to wear out playing soft PVC records. I was advised that cartridge deterioration over time is more to do with degradation of other components in the cartridge such as suspension,damping rubber.

So personally, unless recommended and carried out by the manufacturer, I avoid aftermarket re tipping. It's a bit like putting New tyres on a high performance car with shot suspension or knackered engine.

4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I am thinking about this possible upgrade. I am interested how the new 10x5 MK2 sounds vs a VM540ML if anyone has experience.

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member Thread Starter

Warmer; but you also need a low noise preamp as it's output is lower.
    -Bill

6. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I like my 10X5 a lot. First MC and I'd like to try a lomc. Have considered going to a Hana SL but like the Dyna well enough to make a speaker upgrade my first priority.

7. dsf

dsf Well-Known Member

Yeah I remember well. I had a 10X3 back in the 80s that (only) sold for a bit over $100 installed on a Thorens TD 285. Best sounding cart I ever owned, Also the DCM Time Windows probably helped a little.:)

8. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

Anyone heard this new 10x5 yet?
    No reviews out there.

9. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

It's almost like the Dynavector 10x5 MK2 doesn't exist. I've not read one review. The mystery cartridge.

bajaed likes this.
  10. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

Just swapped out the old 10x5 mk1 on my Rega P3-24 for a mk2 a couple of days ago.

Still breaking it in but first impressions are the new model builds on the signature strengths of the original - black background, smooth and musical sound, remarkably tolerant of surface noise.

I’m hearing a little extra detail, a bit more air up top and slightly more punch down low, which I’d put down to the improved tracking with the Shibata stylus (though the original was no slouch in this respect - IGD, for example, was never an issue for me) and the slightly higher output voltage (2.8mV on the mk2 vs 2.5 on the mk1).

Not the bargain it was back when the mk1 could be had for £250 - but so far living up to my expectations as a cart you can set up, forget and enjoy.

11. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I love my Dynavector 17D3 and it is a perfect match for my Well Tempered Arm. I was just reading the specifications for the new Dynavector 17DX and the cartridge weights 11 grams as opposed to the 5.8 grams for the 17D3. Also the compliance (12cu) is lower than the 17D3 (15cu). The price and the heavier weight takes it out of my consideration unfortunately.

JG

Drew769 likes this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Maybe Dyna needs to shell out more in advert dollars to the big time mags and paid web reviewers.

13. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I was reading this thread to see if weight was mentioned. Brass must weight a (relative) ton!

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  14. jhenry

jhenry Forum Resident

Haven’t seen many (any) reviews, but the local shop sells quite a few of them.

gov and Lymbo like this.
  15. emkay

emkay Senior Member

I got one! Replaced the one in my avatar. Should probably take a new pix....

kt66brooklyn and patient_ot like this.
  16. emkay

emkay Senior Member

Set it and forget it - lowest maintenance cart EVER....

17. Eric Murphy

Eric Murphy Active Member

I currently have a 10x5 with about 200-250 hours on it. I really like it. After a few more years once my current 10x5 is worn I will likely go with the 10x5 MKII, the Shibata stylus definitely interests me.

Is the output drastically different between the old 10X5 and the new MKII? I am using a Rega Elex-R amp.

Clucking likes this.
  18. Schwinnparamount

Schwinnparamount Forum Resident

I have a new 10x5 mk II. My 2nd MC. The other was the entry level Grado. This one is so much better!

kt66brooklyn and Eric Murphy like this.
  19. redeyedandblue

As above, I do think the extra 0.3mV gives you a little more punch - not a drastic difference though, and still below the 3+mV the MM stage in your amp will have been designed for, so shouldn’t be a problem with distortion/overload.

Eric Murphy likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Dynavector were reasonable price when I purchase a 20X around 2003 (elliptical then). 10X is an entry level cartridge now approaching high end price and the 17DX is stratospheric price gouging. Old model used to be around £600 in the UK (about 15 yrs ago). In an age of near negative inflation how does the hi-fi industry justify these continual price leaps? Perhaps they are hell bent on going down in the wake of Covid 19. Just wait for the great depression and stuff will be going cheap if you have any money left.

Daniel Thomas and E.Baba like this.
  21. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

Has anyone here spent much quality time with the updated 17dx?
    Hype is one thing, but when a product has been out for a while now and there doesnt seem to be a whole lot written about it, I begin to wonder.
    I was a fan of the 17D version. It was always the odd man out in the Dynavector lineup. A bit of an outsider. Sounded great to my ears though.

22. Eric Murphy

Eric Murphy Active Member

Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to hearing it! It will likely be a few years because of the life I have on my current cart but this will likely be what I replace it with.

23. redeyedandblue

No problem. Don’t forget you can trade in your existing 10x5 for ~25% off a new DV cart.

Eric Murphy likes this.
  24. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the trade in allowance is more like 20%

Eric Murphy likes this.
  25. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Yes it is 20%, I recently traded my 3 year old 17D for the Kaitora Rua and 20% is what I received

John D. and Eric Murphy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.