Dynavector XX-2 mK2 vs. DV20-X2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Upinsmoke, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience between the two Dynavector cartridges - the XX2 and the DV20-x2. I found a dealer where I could get 30% off retail on the dyna carts and was wondering if the XX2 was worth the double the price. If you have any personal experience using these I'd love to know your thoughts. Also if you are using one of those wonderful, finicky JMW arms even better.

2. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to reading the answer to this question. I've had the DV20x2 low for two years and love it, but have always wondered about the XX2 higher-end cartridge.

3. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I noticed that you skipped the middle-ground 17D3 in your considerations...any reason?

4. John Boy

John Boy Forum Resident

The 20-X2, XX2 & XV-1s all have a similar character, the difference between them is refinement and musical expression. If you move up the line your initial impression is they sound similar each step, moving back reveals more what is lost which is the musical expression and inflections in the music. I'm stuck with the XV-1s and tried to downgrade and it didn't work because too much was lost, the magic or the musical expression that pulled me into the music on some records disappeared. If your TT us up to a XX2 it definitely worth $500-600 more, it's closer to the XV-1s than it is to the 20-X2. The 17D3 has a different character. My 2 cents

5. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

It's been a few years but I've actually owned both, back-to-back on a VPI Scout. I used an Auditorium 23 SUT with the XX-2, amplified by a Moth 45 SET amp. The XX-2 was definitly better top to bottom, as it should be for the price. The system I had then was quite revelaing and that makes a difference too. Basically, everything was more refined but it wasn't just that. The best I can describe it is that while the DV20 did sound good, the XX-2 revealed more flavor in the music. It was not a difference you had to listen carefully to discern, it was evident the moment the cartridge hit the record. Just as it should be considering the price difference!

6. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

The DV20X2L is so good that I can't imagine spending twice the amount on anything else. I'm sure the XX2 is better, but is it really "a thousand dollars" better? That's always the question I ask myself: a thousand dollars on a new cartridge or a thousand dollars on vinyl? It seems like the law of diminishing returns at some point...

It's the same thing with bikes - the Campy Centaur **** shifts PRETTY smooth - if I spend another $600 for the Chorus gruppo I'll lose what - a 1/4 pound? and it'll shift a LITTLE SMOOTHER. Is it worth it? Do I care? Wouldn't I be better served riding my ass off and not worrying about shifting and a few ounces?

Life! Choices! Yeah.

All I know is I just spent $22 for the new Dead Rider LP and it.is.blowing.my.mind. My system is definitely good enough to do that. Works for me.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  7. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Well, good question. Because it's a big gold tacky looking cartridge, almost as bad as putting another companies name on the front of your cart. Well, that's not the main reason but it does come into play.

I've been digging quite a bit into cartridge design/build, various theories, and construction materials used and characteristics imparted. It has not been easy, there's a ton of misinformation, and then the dreaded dealer and reviewer bias that is present.

The XX is using a boron cantilever and line contact stylus. I am very much interested in having a line contact stylus for use due to the increased footprint area. The current cartridge I'm using is an elliptical so believe this should impart a pretty big improvement.

The 20x is using an aluminum cantilever and microridge stylus in it's construction.

The Karak is using a microridge and diamond cantilever .

So that in a nutshell is how I kind of limited it down to those two. My local dealer was telling me how difficult it was to get Lyra cartridges anymore and I would not be able to get the same kind of discount on Lyra that I can on Dynavector. The other dealer is unable to ship Lyra carts to the US. I have family in Ireland I could ship to and have them forward to me but then I'd have to pay VAT on it. Even then, the Titan I is $6200 (with VAT!). Huge difference between prices available in the US, or our dealers are gouging the $#*! out of us.

8. teag

teag Forum Resident

Which cart did you choose and how do you like it? I am looking at these 2 also. Thanks.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

I've got the XX2 mkII on my VPI Classic 2......once it was broken in (about 50-100 hrs.) it really smoothed out. I tried the 20 at first and it's nice for the money, but the XX2 gives you more top to bottom. I enjoy mine immensly.....I've always wondered how much I'd have to spend to get better.

- Buck

10. tricka

tricka Member

I have owned both. xx2 is the better cart, but the law of diminishing returns applies. In the land of MC cart's I think it is a relative sweet spot. Needs around 100 hrs on it and a side or two playing to come on song.

20x2 is very good but not, IMHO, great.

11. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

When I bought my VIP Scoutmaster Turntable with the JMW Memorial 9 Signature arm, I got it with a Dynavector DV-20x2 that was VPI branded (had VPI written on its side and I still have it). I liked it's sound so much that when I wanted to upgrade I stayed with the Dynavector sound and got the XX2 MK2 one. It is a great cartridge and I am very happy with its sound. I listened to other cartridges at my dealer and that was the best in my budget. I don't regret that decision.

Cassius and Munger74 like this.
  12. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

17D3 isn't middle ground, it's more expensive than the 20x2. Also its MC only, not available in hi-output version.

13. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

P.S. Anyone know where i can buy Dynavector in NC?

14. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks for all the input. I just ordered the XX2 from Music Direct!! Early Christmas this year!!

zeitlos likes this.
  15. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

That's where I bought mine. You'll be pleased, it'll be a nice fit for your VPI Classic.

16. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

I reviewed the XX-2, and compared it to both the D20X1 and the Zephyr. The XX-2 is a great cart, you won't be disappointed.

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Put about 30 hours on this cartridge and really like it. Sound is very rich with a very sweet midrange. Overall an improvement on my system compared to the Blackbird which I also liked.

tricka and raferx like this.
  18. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

If the XX-2 is anything like the 20x2L then, around the 50-hour mark things are going to get really for interesting you.

19. james

james Summon The Queen

Super Record will make you lighter. At least your wallet

20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

The 20X2L is all I could ask for in a cartridge. If the XX2 sounds better top to bottom the moment it hits the record than I would love to hear it some day.

21. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

If your arm/tt can handle the XX2 go for it. For me, and basically what you are asking. I had a 10x5, now a 17D3 and it is a HUGE difference. The phono stage will also make a HUGE difference.

22. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I had a 20x2H some time ago and really liked it, except that I had to go through two defective ones before getting a good one, but Mike Pranka did take care of me on exchanging them without hassle.

I considered a XX2 last year. I have heard it is quite extraordinary. However, I was able to get a smokin' deal on a Clearaudio Concerto v2 so that's what I have now. No regrets whatsoever.

23. teag

teag Forum Resident

I now have well over 50 hours and this cartridge continues to impress me. Unbelievably nice on acoustic content such as James Taylor or Gordon Lightfoot. Impressive on rock as well. Not to mention jazz! All in all, this is a revelation.

Athalwolf and raferx like this.
  24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Have a strange issue with this cart now. I have the XX2 on a Classic 3. It is skipping when the LP plays a loud bass drum. For example, it skipped yesterday on Frank Sinatra's song "I Get s Kick Out of You" when he sings the word "kick" and they hit the bass drum. Each time the cart did a loud skip. This also happened on another record with lots of bass drum about 3 months ago and then never did it again until yesterday.

I have the VTF set at 2.2, the max recommendation. Azimuth is set correctly. I don't use anti skate, and never have since I bought the table over 3 years ago. This cart has been on for 6 months. Previously had the Soundsmith Zephr and the Sumiko Blackbird with no skipping issues.
    Do you guys have any recommendation? Could setting Azimuth help? If so, is it one turn of the wire clockwise or counter clockwise?

25. teag

teag Forum Resident

I meant to say could setting Anti Skate help?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.