Eagles beat Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, U2 as the most expensive fan ticket

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Witchy Woman, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

$238 for a version of the band without Glenn Frey? No thanks. I do not know if I would even attend for free, and I love The Eagles.

I am all for bands working, even when line-ups go through major shifts and transitions. That does not mean I personally have interest in attending concerts under those circumstances, but I can appreciate that the remaining musicians want to make a living and continue with their creative process.

However, with The Eagles, a band that was very much focused on its legacy, I am surprised Henley decided to keep touring under The Eagles moniker. When does it end? Are Henley and Frey's kids going to take over the band one day, with The Eagles performing in a perpetual state? They should have quietly retired the name with Glenn's passing. Henley can tour arenas and sheds as a solo act, it is not as if he needs The Eagles. But, it is prerogative and he seems to want to continue The Eagles as a creative outlet. But to this fan, this ongoing touring activity is tarnishing the legacy.

GoodKitty and 905 like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Henley does need the Eagles if he wants massive paydays. He can't play arenas on his own anymore, and big sheds are too much for him.

Henley is someone who can do 2000-seaters at this point. His days of solo stardom are long in the past.

50,000 tickets vs. 2000 tickets is obviously a big difference. Yeah, Henley has to share the revenue for the stadium shows, but I'm betting this is far from an equal distribution of profits...

vitorbastos123, kwadguy and Jack Lord like this.
  3. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Yea it really comes down to the brand name.

I sometimes think the Who should take a page from the Dead and alter their name somewhat to acknowledge the obvious. But a Daltrey Townsend Band might peak at selling out 8000 seat theaters. And if the fans support it, well that is that.

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Taylor may as well join the Eagles given what she's willing to extract from her fans regarding tickets. Plus she's country pop like the Eagles. :D

5. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

The Eagles were all about money in the first place, so this should not come as a surprise to anyone.

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I do not think they were all about the money. There is a difference between wanting to make a lot of money and creating music simply to make money. Henley and Frey wanted to be successful and make money, but they also wanted to write and record great songs. They took songwriting, arranging and producing songs very serious during from 1972 - 1976.

905, kwadguy and Stephen J like this.
  7. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I can totally live with your interpretation.

8. tomd

tomd Senior Member

The most boring classic rock act on the planet IMHO

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  9. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

No Frey, No Eagles, in my book.

I'd feel the same way if Frey was around but Henley wasn't.

905, Oatsdad and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  10. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Yes, and in that, they were emulating The Rolling Stones and The Beatles, for starters.

11. Support local live music, and good musicians playing small venues.The next Eagles or Taylor Swift might be playing your coffee house or college for $10, and later on you can say you got there first.

It amazes me that top dollar tickets get sold for any arena or stadium show. They should be making them free. They should be paying us to attend.

Straight up: if you do have serious money to toss around and you love some of the legends so much you crave seeing them live, it makes more sense to save your money and wait until the next time they're playing a small club date or run, and go all in on that. You're still taking your chances, of course. Mostly because too many people don't know how to act as audience members. A problem that isn't nearly as evident at live appearances by new, unknown, or less well known singers and musicians, where more of the audience is showing up to listen than to bask in someone's aura.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Jazzmonkie likes this.
  12. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I wouldn't go see them if you paid me the $238.

BDC likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

So if I wanna see the Eagles, you're saying I should save that money for their club tour - the one that'll never happen? :confused:

Hadean75 likes this.
  14. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

No thanks....... With Felder and Walsh I might go $100..........
    Maybe and even then likely not..LOL

15. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer Forum Resident

I saw the Eagles here in Singapore in 2010. The highest tier tickets was $380. I was in the cheapest section, about $120

16. 905

905 Senior Member

I still can't imagine Eagles without Glenn. I'm a big fan, heck I love Long Road Out of Eden. But I didn't even think about going to the St Louis show. I'm surprised at how much they can charge now for tickets. Having said that, I'm sure it's a great show.

17. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

18. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I remember reading an interview with Don Henley around 1999, where he mentioned that with him being a member of a top-tiered band like the Eagles, he deserved a top-tiered ticket price. The article was pointing out that many of his solo shows were not selling out, and if he lowered the ticket prices, maybe that would help him sell out venues. He wasn't concerned about selling out venues, he was more concerned about getting the respect he deserved ticket price-wise.

Witchy Woman likes this.
  19. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

There's a pretty simple solution: if you don't like it, don't go. Problem solved. :righton:

I personally have no problem with the current line-up, just like I don't have a problem with the current Queen line-up, the current Journey line-up, the current Styx line-up....(insert next band name here).

If it makes them happy, and people are willing to pay, cool.

If I could afford it, I'd go just to see Timothy B. and Joe. But that's me. :shrug:

Agreed---never gonna happen lol. :agree: (Though for solo shows, Timothy B. usually plays clubs and small theaters....hope he comes near my town one day cause I'd be first in line to get tickets lol. ;))

Just enjoy the music guys. :cool:

20. It was general advice, to be applied to an array of situations. And advice is all it was. It's your money.

21. Oatsdad

Oh, you can see individual members of the Eagles in small venues - even Henley, and he's the biggest draw of the bunch!

And some A-level bands play the occasional small venue. I was able to see the Stones at 2000-person Roseland in 2002 and similarly small Beacon in 2006.

But obviously shows like that are the exception to the rule. Arena/stadium acts might play small joints every once in a while, but 99.9% of the people who want to see them will have to do so at enormodomes...

Hadean75 likes this.
  22. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don’t have a problem with the line-up, it’s those ticket prices! :faint:

Hadean75 likes this.
  23. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Oh, I know lol. :)

I think they've been sold out every show, and have had to add additional dates to some venues.

If people are willing to pay it, they are going to charge it. That's business. ;)

Like I said, I would go if I could afford it. But I can't, so I'll hold out for a solo show lol. It's all good. :righton:

Witchy Woman and vitorbastos123 like this.
  24. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Why not? When prices are that high the scalpers may lose money. That's the idea. Concerts will not immediately sell out when prices are really high.

25. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

But I do have to say one thing, the “occasional” fans do seem to enjoy them. One of my best friends went to a Eagles gig last year, he said the crowd was on fire! A lot of applauses and singing along throughout the concert.
    My point is, maybe we dont enjoy them right now, for valid reasons, but a heck of a lot of people still do, and that’s what matters to them.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Witchy Woman and Hadean75 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.