Eames Quadraflex speakers. Yes, Eames designed speakers.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Billy Budapest, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Billy Budapest

Billy Budapest Forum "Member" Thread Starter

Another pic from an auction site . . .

Attached Files:

2. deckeda

deckeda Forum Resident

Quadreflex.

Quadraflex was quite a different kettle of fish.

3. Billy Budapest

I've seen it spelled both ways. Could you post a picture of a proper Quadraflex speaker?

4. deckeda

deckeda Forum Resident

I wasn't aware a company would spell their name more than one way. The brochure shown in this thread is an example of the spelling with and "e".

I don't have a picture of the other brand, but Google does. They were ordinary walnut cabinets, foam grilles from the '70s. That sort of thing. There were matching lackluster components to go with them.

5. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

...the comfy Eames speakers...the good copper shielding...

7. Billy Budapest

I don't think the company spells it both ways. However, when researching the Eames speakers on the Internet, I've seen it spelled both ways on auction sites, etc. It looks more like a misspelling by the general public.

I did a little digging on the Quadraflex brand and it was Pacific Stereo's house brand in the 70's and/or 80's. It looks like receivers and turntables were marketed under the Quadraflex brand, too.

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

yeah, here in SoCal I see quadraflex speakers every day in thrift store. Heavy, boring cabs filled with junk drivers. Never bothered to pick a pair up. No Ames models, however. Must have been a different firm from quadreflex.

9. deckeda

deckeda Forum Resident

I miss Pacific Stereo, but not Quadraflex. House brand, yep that sounds right.

I don't know how many times I dragged my dad into that place "just to look" (me, not him.)

33na3rd likes this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Love this thread!

I think the Eames speakers (not necessarily the Quadreflex model) are great-looking; clean and timeless (I'm thinking of the pic in post #12 in particular.)

I'm a subscriber to Dwell magazine, I love that mid-century modern look to pieces. One thing though which bugs me (and I think this is common to most/all architecture/design mags) is, when profiling a home in an article, stereo gear/TV is rarely shown*; of course, being an SHF-er I'm curious about what folk use to listen to music via. Maybe the modernists need to buy more Davone, Braun, Tivoli, etc. kit so the photo shoot directors don't feel they have to hide the hi-fi for the day.

I'd love to hear a minty pair of Eames in a stereo situation; wonder whom he sourced the drivers from?

*This of course presumes people still have "proper" hi-fi kit about, and not just iPods/smartphones>earbuds for music playback...:(

33na3rd likes this.
  11. Billy Budapest

The company Eames designed these for was Stephens Tru-Sonic. Don't really know anything about them. IIRC that the speakers utilized a 12" coaxial driver.

12. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

How cool/stylish do those illustrations/adverts look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gorgeous.

13. Billy Budapest

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Reopened.

Ingenieur, bhazen, 33na3rd and 2 others like this.