"Ear Bud"-style headphones: which are the best?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by poweragemk, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member Thread Starter

Yes, yes, I know, they're all crap, &c...

But, since I intend to use them anyway, let's discuss.

I got a Creative Nomad MuVo NX for X-mas, and was demoing it with the included headphones. They sounded so UTTERLY terrible that I ran to get my usual travelling headphones - Brookstone noise-cancellers (don't laugh, they're essential for flying, and they don't sound bad either with the noise cancelling off). I thought at the time, I don't recall my Sony (MDR-E828) earbud headphones sounding this bad. Today at work, where the Sony buds live, I A/Bed them with the very same MP3 player. Verdict? The Creative ones really DO sound like crap. Awful, yucko, in the trash. Now, I've owned an awful lot of Sony earbuds over the years, and the current ones seem to be the most cheaply made. Yet, they sound better than the slick metallic Creatives. Wish I had all of my generations of these to A/B...four pairs probably, new ones every two years or so, since I discovered them in the mid-90's.

Anyone else have anything to share? I wonder how those iPod earbuds stand up...

2. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Sennheiser's MX-5 are highly regarded... and cheap :)

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

:agree: They make great earbuds. And they are as cheap as dirt.

4. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

The winner - hands down - the Etymotic 4Ps. They have a cheaper version in the ER 6. These are also rebranded by Hearos, too.

5. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I like these (not exactly earbuds, but really light)
    [​IMG]
    Sony MDR-W08L, .. I find they sound quite good for Walkman headphones (I listen at very low volumes, I don't know how they hold up cranked), non-fatiguing and with decent sonic weight.

They can sound a bit plastic-y at times but they're worth $10, .. give them a try, you might like them.

6. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

7. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I have the Etymotics and love them, but for a more "expendable" pair I am also looking into the relatively new Shure E2 model.

John K.

9. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

The Shure E2s and the Etymotic ER-6s are about the same price point ($120 or under). The drummer in my band is using the E2s for monitoring a few songs and I have a friend who loves the ER-6s in his gear (non-pro musician stuff; just listening).

So to each his own. If you can't afford the ER-4s, go for a cheaper facsimile.

10. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Koss has some earbud style phones. If they're as good as my old PortaPro phones are, they'd be a good budget purchase. For portable phones, spending a lot of money is a waste...they're so darned fragile and plasticky, you're lucky to get a year or two out of them before they go haywire. Easily prone to damage or loss too. Better to get something you won't mourn over if they bite the big one. ;)

11. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Just a quick note - Etymotics are not ear buds; they are canalphones. A wholly different beast.

Although I'd agree.... Ety's have to be the best canalphones in the world! :)

12. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member Thread Starter

Yeah, canalphones really aren't going to do the trick, though I appreciate what they do. I need to be able to hear a teeny bit of background noise so I don't get hit by a car while walking to work, and so I can hear when someone walks into my cube (bad enough now with ear buds...).

So Sennheiser is the way to go, Javier & Sckott? Which model?

13. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

If you want the best and have the money there is nothing close to an Etymotic. I have the 4 and they are far and away better then anything else i heard in an earbud. Just my opinion. By the by..they are far from crap..actually better then 90% of the over the ear kind. I love these things..

14. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I use the Eys and they are just GREAT for blocking out the sounds of the train I take every day.

15. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I think the problem Michael faces is isolation. True, Etys are hard to beat, but it'd be terribly irresponsible to use them on certain situations (for example, while walking to work!) and the cord would make too much noise while scraping his clothes while walking :)

I think the MX-5 are the best earbuds Sennheiser offers...

16. Pepzhez

Pepzhez New Member

I'll chime in. Etymotic ER-4P (you can easily adapt them to be a 4S with the right cable, too) is one of the best equipment purchases I've ever made. There is nothing shoddy or crappy about them - far from it! These are serious, high-end, true "audiophile" beasts. Etys are pricier than what most people are willing to spend and probably too much head(canal)phone than your average person will ever need, but they have been a godsend for me.

But there are other alternatives. I highly recommend HeadRoom - great prices and very professional service. These guys know what they're doing:

http://www.headphone.com

17. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Anyone take long walks or jogs outside on windy days?
    Would buds of any brand just blow out and into the street? (if you haven't lived through yer standard Wyoming "breeze" then, well, you're lucky)

What kids of portable phones should I be looking for?

Dan C

PS: I can't afford the Etys, too pricey for me right now.

18. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

How about a realistic budget figure and then we can give some recommendations.

19. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Wanted to bump this thread. I'm in the market for some ear buds that will sound as good as $20 (or less) will get me. I use them for workouts and don't want to spend a lot. No matter what, one of the channels seems to always to go out due to accidental and unintended tension put on the cord. Several years ago I bought a box on ebay of Sony MDR-E821LP ear buds that sound very good, but due to usage haven't lasted more than 3 months. Those have not surprisingly been discontinued. Recommendations?

20. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Google "JVC Marshmallows".

21. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I bought the Klipsch Image X10 when they were deeply discounted at Amazon. I'm happy with them.

22. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

The Klipsch X10's are too pricey for my purposes and needs (i.e. workouts) and wouldn't want to have to replace them after 2-3 months. The marshmallows were priced more affordably, however weren't reviewed quite as well and I had already made the following purchases:

I ended up purchasing 2 pairs of Panasonic http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EM8008/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and 2 pairs of Sony MDR-E10LP http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-E10LP-GRN-Lightweight-Earbuds/dp/B000PGH2G4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369081226&sr=1-2&keywords=sony mdr-e10lp. Both brands got reviewed well on Amazon, and in the event they don't meet expectations in terms of sound quality or break I won't be too upset.

23. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I don't have much experience with in-ear 'phones, but Westone is nothing to sneeze at, either: http://www.westone.com/music/

I have a pair of UM1's, and they sound quite good - to me - for the money.

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The Apple earpods are surprisingly good and comfortable.

npc210 and Spek like this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The Ultimate Ears in-ear monitors (IEMs) are about as good as you can get:

http://ultimateears.logitech.com/

Prices can get to well over $5000 for custom-fitted units, as used by many live performers on stage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.