"Ear Bud"-style headphones: which are the best?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by poweragemk, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

2. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Better than Marshmallows, EP-630 and CX-300? Now you've got me intrigued...

3. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident

The "Meelectronics" brand earbuds with the memory wire clips sound great, are very durable, and stay in place when running, etc. Model M6 on Amazon, less than $20. I love mine, definitely got my money's worth out of them. I don't use them for critical listening, only active use at the gym, running, etc.

4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Wow, you like these? I got them about a year ago when Woot was closing out the clear-colored ones. I burned them in for about 25 hours, and just don't get the love. They've been in the box ever since, 'cause I'm just too lazy to put them up on eBay. Anyone want them? PM me.

(BTW...I just noticed this thread was started almost 10 years ago)

5. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

To my ears! But I hate using the word better. They're in the same league but I prefer them over the others.

Same exact experience here. They were too recessed for me. It felt like they weren't making a seal but they were sealed for sure.

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

ThinkSound is supposed to be good. Has anyone tried those?

7. M.Deutrom

M.Deutrom Forum Resident

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I've heard these and they are wonderful but the JH Audio are also excellent.

9. on7green

on7green Senior Patron

10. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Yeah, I got the Thinksound tso2 on sale at Amazon for $49 (reg about $80). They are now my favorites. At first the bass seemed a bit overwhelming but I got used to them. They are not "thumpy" just really warm and rich. They sound fantastic for Jazz. They look gorgeous too. Their customer service is awesome. I contacted Thinksound to see if they had anything else in their line I might like because like I said the bass seemed a bit much at first. The CEO of the company emailed me within hours with options and stayed in contact for the next few days until I decided I actually liked the pair I had.
    http://www.amazon.com/Thinksound-De...id=1369531742&sr=1-2&keywords=thinksound+ts02

LeeS likes this.
  11. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident

Yep, I like 'em. But to be fair, I only use them when I'm working out. They don't need to be audiophile quality, they just need to stay in my ears and be relatively sweat-proof. I still think they sound fine, especially compared to similarly-priced earbuds I've tried - Sony, Koss, JVC. Not to mention the Apple earbuds, which I'd have to superglue in my ears to get them to stay.

12. madrushian

madrushian Active Member

I just bought a pair of MS01. My first dive into the $100 ear bud market. I hope they are worth it. It sounds like they are. I still have to wait a week to get them.

13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I bought a pair of wireless Beats for about $200 and guess what....they suck. but they are wireless.

14. madrushian

madrushian Active Member

Yes I know the feeling. My daughter bought some beats ear buds for over 100 ( with her own money and shes only a junior in high school). They broke shortly after the warranty. She swore off beats and is gone back to the under $50 ear bud category. That's why I am unsure about forking out 100 but I think the come with at 3 yr warranty. If these break like my last pair of ear buds. I will go back to the under $50 category.

15. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I'm using the Monster Copper Turbine Pro's and I find them surprisingly good. For some reason they sound more musical than most of the standard phones I've tried. I'm not quite sure why that is, but they're fun to listen to. The problem with them, and other IEM's is that they conduct noise through the cables. So when I walk with them I hear my footsteps, unless I try to isolate the cable. So they're a bit of a pain, but they do sound good to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Headp...65&sr=1-1&keywords=monster+copper+turbine+pro

16. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I am happy with my Sennheiser MM-70S.

17. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

This. I've got some $150 pair that were gift with various ear plug fittings--they have a nice high extension, but....they don't sound anywhere near as nice as EarPods. This is from someone who always thought Apple's earbuds were horrible. I also had some really nice Blackberry buds if you prefer some high rolloff and "warm" sound....irony is they (some of them at least) break in short time, so I ordered them ($2 a pair) in bulk.

So, suffice to say--nothing to do with money. I've had $75 ones EASILY bested by the $2 Blackberrys....and later $150 ones bested by the $30 Apple EarPods....

And, the other point--they need to be cheap enough that you don't feel bad about wadding them up in your pocket....in order to actually provide ear bud functional use. And....so far, they ALL "suck hard" compared to mostly any over ear phones I've ever tried other than maybe weirdly colored things like Beats....

I have two pair of EarPods. One I bought by themselves years ago....a second that came like 2 years ago with my Iphone5. I keep one upstairs and one down for taking calls. Point being--they've lasted well, sound good, don't break the bank, function well as a phone headset....makes them just a winner, IMO.

18. A number a years ago I was taking long work trips and my iPod was always on so I felt I needed better earbuds than what came with it, so I did research and spent about $150 on a pair. Forgot which brand but it was a waste of money IMHO.

I now have a $200 pair of regular B&W phones , not buds, and they are great for my travels. I'd never pay a lot for that design.

19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I second the Senns. I got them and love them.

20. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

My Senns have held up very well. They are probably at least 3 years old, and are used almost daily at the gym. The ear hooks have suffered plenty of abuse - you look at them the wrong way and they become a tangled mess. I've used brute force many times detangle them.

21. madrushian

madrushian Active Member

I and my daughter had senns and they both died on us. We are not ruff on phones. I guess I am unlucky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.