Ear Check: Steely Dan's "Any Major Dude..." 1999 MCA

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've always thought that this song from the 1999 MCA remaster of Pretzel Logic is one of the best sounding recordings that I have. How off are my ears, or is it technically a good recording?

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The most important thing is: trust your ears.

Some here prefer the 1980's MCA discs, other the early 90's discs, or Citizen box, or the late 90's remasters. None of them are awful or bad, but it comes down to what one's ears prefer.

Edit: I like the 1999, is a little more bright but doesn't bother me. You'll get many opinion here on which Dan discs are preferred.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    BGLeduc and sonnyrock like this.
  3. Glen Rasmusssen

Glen Rasmusssen Active Member

Yes one of the favorites, of course all of the Steel Dan albums are in another league in comparison to most their contemporaries. Just put it on, and most of their tracks, defy you try not toe tap or head node.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Have Steely Dan ever released anything less than good-sounding?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

It's not 100% theirs, but the 2005 Piano Jazz CD of their session with Marian McPartland (also their most recent release of new material!) is not terrific.

6. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

I haven't listened to that in awhile. Are you referring to SQ or content?

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

How off are your ears?

Why, any major dude with half a heart surely would tell you my friend...

BGLeduc and keef285 like this.
  8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I have a CD-R that was recorded off the actual radio broadcast (I think from a forum member here...) that is my go-to, despite owning the released CD. I actually prefer it with the radio compression.

9. My go to version is the Japanese SHM-CD which uses the 1999 remaster.

10. :wtf:

11. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

It's how I lived with it for almost a year until the CD came out. And said CD is very...lacking...IMHO. :shrug:

12. And you know the bottom line is if you like how it sounds that's all that matters. I thought you were being facetious. Now I may have track down the damn radio version! :laugh:

RoyalScam likes this.
  13. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

The only '99 remastered Steely Dan disc I still own is Countdown to Ecstasy. I used to own them all but replaced them with originals. Compared to all of the other albums of theirs which I own on original MCA CD's, I thought the remaster sounded noticeably brighter, and worse, to my ears.

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I don't know about that particular mastering, but the song rules. I have to hear it back-to-back with Barrytown.

15. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Regarding the recording quality, I have a couple of different releases of this song, and they all have a click at the very first second of the track. I always wondered what happened there. I'm assuming it's just tape damage, or is it maybe a click track they forgot to mute on the intro?

16. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I love those double tracked acoustic guitars on the intro. Becker and Fagen sure knew how to make great sounding albums (even if they did get a little Kubrickian about it!);)

I333I likes this.
  17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I've had the unremastered MCA CD since 1998 and am listening to it now, having just listened to the remasters of CTE and CBAT. I would really struggle to choose between the original discs and the remasters on this evidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.