Earache records FDR vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vekta sigma, May 1, 2013.

1. vekta sigma

vekta sigma New Member Thread Starter

Hello there I'm new around these parts so excuse me if I make any mistakes on my first post.
    I thought I would join in the discussions instead of lurking (but not jerking) around. Anyway, I've recently been bitten pretty hard by the old vinyl bug, and even though I have been properly into music since the early nineties, I've only ever dabbled in buying vinyl. But not anymore, my eyes (and meagre wallet) are open (yawn get on with it).

Please excuse me if this has been covered in a previous thread:
    As a metal head from the early and mid-nineties I have been very intrigued by Earache records
    so-called Full Dynamic Range (FDR) vinyl re-issues and I've bitten the bullet recently, buying Symphonies of Sickness and Necroticism by Carcass (still in the post) because I've heard some pretty good things about them. But I would like to know if anyone around here has had any experience of these re-issues and how they stack up against the original pressings (if at all).

I have also come across a very interesting interview with Digby on Metal-Fi.com about this whole process of mastering these FDR records. I know anything Digby says should be taken with a (large) grain of salt, but I think at least he comes across as enthusiastic (?), and maybe Earache have learned their lesson about the Morbid Angel vinyl cash-grab from a couple of years ago. Maybe. What do you lot make of this interview? I don't mind a re-issue over an original pressing if it's done properly with care and passion. But are these? Discuss.

Here's the link:
    http://www.metal-fi.com/interview-digby-dig-pearson-of-earache-records/

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

I haven't heard any of the FDR vinyl pressings but the CD's sound great. I have the first 2 Napalm Death albums and they sound identical to the original CD pressings.

3. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

As I read in old interview, Napalm Death don't like remastering...so I think this is the reason that the new CD versions sound exactly like the old ones.
    About Carcass: I own the original vinyls, no need to buy new pressings....but it would be very interesting how they sound, compared to the real ones.

4. vekta sigma

That's encouraging news about the CD's, but the interesting thing about that interview is that Digby said these FDR's are not clones of the original LP's but clones of the original tapes which the band came out of the studio with (before the original mastering process) back in the day. Er, so does that mean these are effectively unmastered reissues? I'm confused, maybe one of you guys can clear this up for me.
    Looking forward to seeing/hearing Heartwork and Wolverine Blues on FDR though, not to mention Morbid Angels first five albums.
    Cheers

5. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I've wanted a copy of Carcass' Necroticism on vinyl for years, and I had no idea it was being reissued. Off to order it now!

6. vekta sigma

Looks like Heartwork is coming out soon too. Amazon seems to confirm this, although the date may be subject to change. It's also unsurprising as seen as they have already re-issued SOS and NDTI, not to mention the fact that Carcass also have a new album on the horizon, so this is perfectly timed to cash-in on any publicity the band will receive in the run up to the new one. Maybe I'm being too cynical. Anyway, this must be an FDR.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heartwork-Limited-Edition-VINYL-Carcass/dp/B00C0JBLUM/ref=pd_bxgy_m_h__img_y

7. vekta sigma

Anymore thoughts on this one anyone?

8. mantis4tons

9. vekta sigma

sick.jpg

Just got this in the post today. Necroticism should arrive early next week too. It arrived with some strange scuff marks but I gave it a quick wipe and it's okay.
    It's been so long since I've bought 'brand new' vinyl. The artwork seems to be reproduced quite nicely, although the card on the cover seems slightly thin and a bit cheap.
    I'm just being picky, maybe I'm just too used to battered, old, worn-out, used relics.

dennis1077 likes this.
  10. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Reports on how these sound will be welcome :)

11. vekta sigma

I'd love hear them and report back, but at the moment I don't have enough to get my self a decent set-up. I dont want to ruin 'em on my old piece of junk I've had for ages so I'm kind of waiting until the end of the year for that,
    and I need to be really patient. Which is really hard of course. At the moment I'm just collecting like a maniac, and once I do have a decent enough set-up I will of course report back on anything and everything! :thumbsup:

12. Blazingsonic

Blazingsonic Member

So does anyone have one of these and can tell how it sounds?

13. vekta sigma

It would be great if someone here could do an A/B comparison. But in the meantime here's a clip of Noel Summerville cutting some vinyl.
    He's undertaken all of the FDR releases so far and cut all of the original Earache releases back in the day,which is somewhat reassuring.

14. vekta sigma

Here's another clip of him talking a bit more about it. He doesn't really go into too much depth but hey.

15. vekta sigma

16. Bolt Thrower

Bolt Thrower New Member

So how does Necroticism sound?

Also are the Realm of Chaos and Necroticism FDR cds needle drops (using the mastering meant for the LP)? I got Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos FDR and it sounds great. Unsure if I should buy the LP as it might sound better.

17. Alex@Metal-Fi

Alex@Metal-Fi New Member

Hi Everbody:

I just wanted to also let you folks know about Earache's Kickstarter Project to re-release Nocturnus's 1992 classic, Thresholds:

[​IMG]

I don't get a cut. I usually don't plug stuff like this directly and I am not affiliated with Earache in any fathomable way other than we interviewed Digby about the FDR campaign and I'm a Bolt Thrower freak.

I am however, extremely passionate about bringing back dynamics in heavy metal!

I know for a fact that many labels are watching to see if Earache's Kickstarter project will succeed as a litmus test to see whether they want to get involved with re-issuing back catalog vinyl as well as the viability of selling higher dynamic material! This is really good news any way you slice it.

So check out the page, watch the Kickstarter video on the link above, and if you dig Nocturnus (I know, I know, its not The Key, but frankly this record is still fantastic and in some ways more interesting since Browning "left" the band afterwards), pick up a copy and support the campaign.

I'm quite aware that a lot of Earache's back catalog classics don't suffer from Loudness War insanity of the late 90s/early 2000s+ but this is only a first step to eventually seeing higher dynamics in new releases (or so I hope!).

Cheers!

18. vekta sigma

The Kickstarter campaign is great, I've been aware about it since it was launched, it's just a shame I was never really into Nocturnus. However I still may support the campaign, and let's hope this encourages other labels to do the same.
    I'm waiting for them to release the Morbid Angel back cat on FDR, that would be great but it looks like I might have to be patient and wait a while.

Btw I think it would be great if Metal-Fi could review all or at least some of the FDR's on vinyl and compare them to the original LP's to see how they compare. There is quite a lack of info and reviews for these releases at the moment. I know Metal-Fi already reviewed Napalm's From Enslavement...., but I'd like to see a few more. Please! :righton:

19. Blazingsonic

Blazingsonic Member

Yeah I would also love to read a Metal Fi review about the reissues as there really is a lack of information about their quality :)

20. Alex@Metal-Fi

Alex@Metal-Fi New Member

Well, if you read our interview with Digby and watch some of the videos of Noel, I think you would be pleasantly surprised about the overall process.

21. Alex@Metal-Fi

Alex@Metal-Fi New Member

If you can afford it, please join the campaign. Dave and I really want labels to "wake-up" and realize that audiophiles, vinyl-junkies, and their elk (i.e. passionate headbangers) should be catered too since we love to BUY music!

Definitely. We will have more reviews of them going forward for sure! Thanks for reading too, we really appreciate it!

22. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

These FDR seem to all be UK/EU-only releases, correct?
    Heartwork badly needs a more audiophile mastering. The original LP (I have a not-so-great needledrop) is different than the CD - less bass bloat, which I much prefer. The original LP is very rare so this is very welcome, but at UK import prices?

Can anyone comment on Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos vs. original CD? I have it; rather low level, but once crankable, open brutality.

Morbid Angel would be awesome. Altars of Madness needs a careful, audiophile mastering!! I've posted a link in other threads on this site to "askearache" blog, where Digby said that a remaster from the original tapes of Altars of Madness would put people off, because it would sound so different - if you listen to his clip of the mixdown of Chapel of Ghouls, he is WRONG. IT SOUNDS AWESOME.

I don't trust Dig..

23. mantis4tons

I really need to play my FDR copy of Necroticism... it's been sitting on my shelf for a few weeks. I'll try to spin it this weekend and report back.

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Earache records FDR vinyl.

Didn't know FDR sang. He was a great president so anything is possible I guess.

I could go for some JFK vinyl as well but I KNOW he couldn't sing worth a darn.

izgoblin and heartbroken_poet like this.
  25. Alex@Metal-Fi

Alex@Metal-Fi New Member

FDR releases are AFAIK world wide. Nothing is UK/EU specific that I am aware of. We reviewed Realm of Chaos here. It could not fix some of the mix issues IMO (sounds better but still not as good as some others).

Nocturnus made it! :)

Spirit Crusher likes this.