Earache records FDR vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vekta sigma, May 1, 2013.

1. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I ordered the silver vinyl of Clandestine and Wolverine Blues. I'm looking forward to having good sounding vinyl copies of these.

2. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

The new Carcass - Heartwork release is cut by HL (Optimal cutter) and press at optimal according to discogs. Carcass - Heartwork
    Are more cut and pressed at Optimal now?

3. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I just got a silver vinyl copy of Heartwork, so over the weekend I'll check the matrices and get back to you for confirmation.

Ninjur likes this.
  4. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

So, what did it say?

5. nolazep

Sorry for the delayed response! Its very hard to discern with the silver swirl vinyl, but both sides are hand-etched with "Mosh 087 FDR". Side one has some stuff that looks like "VX" and side two may have more but I can't make it out.

Some of the other FDR's have machine stamped/etched numbers that usually begun with an E but Heartwork is handwritten.

6. 16s

16s Forum Resident

I assume Wolverine will be minus the original samples as per the later reissues on CD? (which is a shame)

7. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Yeah, likely though unfortunate.

8. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

The new Necroticism FDR reissue earlier this year was pressed at MPO, according to its Discogs entry. Bolt Thrower's Warmaster FDR reissue from 2013 and Napalm Death's Scum FDR reissue from 2017 was done by GZ while Bolt Thrower's For Victory was done by Optimal. There doesn't seem to be any pattern with respect to using which pressing plant for their releases so it's a toss-up between MPO, Optimal, or GZ.

9. 16s

16s Forum Resident

it will be where ever there is capacity/production availability. :righton:

nosliw likes this.
  10. nosliw

I checked my copy of the new Terrorizer FDR reissue and it's pressed at GZ.

11. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

My silver copy of Wolverine Blues arrived over the weekend. I'm finally getting around to listening to it, and I'm happy to report that the samples are intact!

nosliw and 16s like this.
  12. nolazep

The silver vinyl of The IVth Crusade is CRUSHING. Hopefully tonight I can get to Wolverine.

13. 16s

16s Forum Resident

That is very good to know... " i am the way"

14. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Has anyone noticed that "Altars Of Madness" is a 24/44.1 download on the bandcamp site? All the other ones I have are 16 bit.

15. swazzyswess

swazzyswess Forum Resident

this thread convinced me to finally pick up some of these FDR reissues! Specifically, Carcass, Bolt Thrower, and Entombed. I've never heard any of these on vinyl, only MP3 and CDs for Carcass, and can't wait to check them out.

it was kinda mentioned up above, but am I correct that *all* of the on demand reissues are getting the same FDR treatment?

16. Jiri Smahel

Jiri Smahel Forum Resident

Three out of four On Demand releases has been released.
    [​IMG]

17. nosliw

As a heads-up, I just got my copy of Nocturnus' The Key and the front cover is very, very dark looking, which really sucks.

18. nosliw

Last night, I played my copies of Bolt Thrower's Spearhead/Cenotaph and Nocturnus' The Key on clear LP and despite the audible surface noise in-between tracks, the overall sound quality is excellent all-around. I own the original Spearhead CD single and I find the LP to sound slightly better, IMHO, being a Full-Dynamic Range version. Very good dynamic range, perfect for cranking up the volume. The album art quality on Spearhead/Cenotaph is definitely excellent, unlike Nocturnus' The Key being way too dark looking.

Both copies pressed by Optimal Media GmbH have no warps, off-centered cut, nor non-fills whatsoever.

16s likes this.
  19. 16s

16s Forum Resident

thats really good to know. Glad they pressed them at Optimal - but clear vinyl is often noisy i have found

20. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Just placed an order for :

The IVth Crusade
    ... For Victory
    Altars Of Madness
    Blessed Are The Sick

Spirit Crusher likes this.
  21. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

You will not be disappointed.

lenny nero likes this.
  22. nolazep

I just ordered one of the white copies of The Key by Nocturnus. The two Napalm Death reissues (Utopia Banished and Harmony Corruption) were pretty good too, but neither says anything about full dynamic range. Utopia Banished has the same bonus tracks from when they repressed it a few years back. Harmony Corruption is much, much better-sounding than my original UK CD.

jason202 likes this.
  23. nolazep

I finally made my way through all 4 sides of the Formulas Fatal to the Flesh on demand/FDR reissue on black vinyl. I compared it to the punch-out advance CD from the college radio days. The CD is much murkier in general. The guitar tone on this new reissue is immense without swallowing the mix. I'm normally not a fan of the 7-string guitar but the tone puts a smile on my face. Also, having the songs spread out over 4 sides breaks the flow up just enough to where it's not a fatiguing listen. I was never a fan of the end of the CD but now Side 4 is really growing on me, with how it moves from the onslaught of "Invocation of the Continual One" (with some great vocal work from Trey) through the 3 instrumental tracks.

Will report back when The Key gets delivered.

24. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

My record cleaning system. Finally got around to cleaning FDR Entombed Left Hand Path (though it was already very clean. Cleaning reduced static.)

[​IMG]

ScaleTheInferno and nosliw like this.
  25. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Any chance those would later on appear as FDR downloads on Bandcamp?