Early John Wayne movies frequently on public domain DVDs not in the public domain

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

I have found out that 2 early John Wayne movies that I have seen circulated on public domain DVDs, The Range Feud and Two-Fisted Law, have had their copyrights renewed by Columbia Pictures in 1958 and 1959 respectively. The Mill Creek DVD boxed set called "John Wayne and The Western Trios" and also the "John Wayne: Early Westerns Collection" set on Mill Creek contain both of these plus "Texas Cyclone" which was also made by Columbia Pictures in 1932 and had its copyright renewed in 1959. Sony has issued a standalone DVD of "Texas Cyclone" and I have seen a "Starry Night" DVD bootleg of "Texas Cyclone" and "Two Fisted Law" on Amazon but do not buy the Starry Night DVD, go for the Mill Creek collections for these films. Two Fisted Law was also issued on DVD by Columbia Pictures on DVD in the "Riding The Range" DVD set with the now public domain films "Riders of Destiny" (1933, Monogram) and "West of The Divide" (1934, Monogram).

2. BradOlson

The Western Trios boxed set has not only the 3 licensed from Sony films, but also a huge chunk of the low budget movies he starred in that are in the public domain, plus many Three Mesquiters, Rough Riders and Range Busters movies that are in the public domain

3. BradOlson

4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I am NOT buying ANOTHER PD set to get one, or even two films. Collecting this period gives me a headache.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. BradOlson

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Looking through my collection and of what we are talking about I am only missing The Range Feud. I'll live. Damn he made a lot of movies. Lots of Saturday matinee oaters. I have no interest in the serials. I've lost track of how many I have. I have John Wayne movies I will never watch because I already know they are poo. But they came in a box set.
    Oh and I love Angel and The Badman and McLintock but please GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

And no self respecting John Wayne fan would need a PD McLintock after the authorized disc.
    I got it! McLintock drink coasters!

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

These John Wayne sets are easy for the video companies to put together (since it costs them nothing) and easy to sell because they just slap a big picture of The Duke on the cover. I guess they make for easy Christmas and Birthday gifts for John Wayne fans, though. :)

I'm not a big fan or anything but if I was, I'd want to check out some of these early movies at least once I guess.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

a lot of them are available on various roku channels, free but you have a couple commercials in the beginning

10. BradOlson

Those are the actual public domain films that are on tons of Roku channels. The Range Feud, Two-Fisted Law, and Texas Cyclone are all owned by Sony and any streaming has to be licensed. PD DVDs have bootlegged Range Feud and Two-Fisted Law on DVD with horrible prints, but the copies of these 3 films on the newer Mill Creek compilations are licensed from Sony and have excellent prints.

the pope ondine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.