Early photo of Son House surfaces

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IbMePdErRoIoAmL, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate Thread Starter

I dunno what interest this may draw but...
    While watching the American Epic series this week, I was gobsmacked to see that a 1920's/30's photo of Son House has finally surfaced. This is no doubt from the collection of John Tefteller who, I've heard, may be in possession of another photo (or two) of House from this period.
    In any case, this is a major artifact for certain of us & I feel it bears mention here.[​IMG]

2. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

Fabulous. What a dapper, handsome fella.

3. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

4. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Great to see another photo of him.

However, I would have preferred to have been told that they found new good-quality recordings of him from the 1920's/30's. He is an incredible talent.

5. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

His alter ego in the background.

6. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

In fact, that very thing happened about a decade ago with the discovery of "Clarksdale Moan" b/w "Mississippi County Farm Blues." But this is the biggest news on the Son House front since then.

qwerty likes this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Wow, brilliant photo, and discovery! Appears to be in really nice condition. What's the backstory on the find?

8. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

This is great, but I'm confused. This has absolutely nothing to do with Sgt. Pepper!

9. I guess we do know for sure that that's him, eh? I just remember all the arguing and controversy a few years back when a new photo of Robert Johnson was supposedly found...

Clarkophile and markbrow like this.
  10. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

I would hope the folks putting together the series have done their homework. I know Tefteller is involved & has been rumoured to be in possession of material like this for some time. But I don't know the provenance of the photo &, therefore, cannot offer it as a true primary source.
    On the other hand, that sure as hell looks like Son. And not just a little.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  11. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

This is great. Still wonder if another Charley Patton photo could ever be located. Not to mention any photo of Willie Brown.

Scope J, markbrow and IbMePdErRoIoAmL like this.
  12. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Yeah, I thought we weren't allowed to talk about anything else within a week of major Beatles news!

kellys, trd and The Elephant Man like this.
  13. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

I'd settle for a copy of "Grandma Blues" or "Kickin' In My Sleep."

Joe Paul likes this.
  14. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

:laughup:

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I now deem this thread cooler than the Beatles Super Deluxe Boxset.. :cool:

16. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Not so. If this picture was circulating in 1967 it could/should have been a contender for the Sgt.Pepper cover!

17. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  18. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

No, but instead, there is a connection with the White Album and Abbey Road...

Mother Nature's Son House
    Here Comes The Son House

;)

The Elephant Man likes this.
  19. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

20. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Sonnn's leaving House... (Bye, bye...)

21. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Thank you for posting this.

Have the other people in the photo been identified? has the location been identified? what was the occasion, that Son House would be wearing a tux? is this a paper image, or a cardboard? it could be a 4x4 Kodak paper print. are the edges of the photograph shown in the original? is this sepia the actual tint? is there a stamp or any identifying marking on the back? if the woman's dress was not homemade, the photo could be dated to the nearest year by comparing her dress, shoes and the umbrella to store catalogs. more accurately, an examination of the paper, emulsion and edge markings could match the photo to the camera that took it and date it to within a year.

Scope J likes this.
  22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

WOW! very cool!

23. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Great find!

24. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

I've no idea. There is an associated American Epic book (American Epic: The First Time America Heard Itself: Bernard MacMahon, Allison McGourty, Elijah Wald: 9781501135606: Amazon.com: Books ) that may contain that info. I dunno.
    Son is not wearing what would, even then & there, be considered a tuxedo, though he is dressed rather formally. He was, at some point(s), a preacher with a stable congregation & would therefore be commissioned as a respected member of his community. The presence of the young lady (as well as the parasol) leads me to believe that this may be a wedding photo. But, again, I have no idea... it's all conjecture.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Beatles thread.

25. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Doesn't look like Son House to me:shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.