Early San Francisco Audio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Javed Jafri, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have just uploaded content from an interesting reel to reel tape I found that may have been a pre-edit for an actual radio program. Below is the sheet that I found with the tape. I have omitted most of the Stones and Dylan content. The air checks on my site are exclusive but as this is not an air check some of this material is available elsewhere.

The tape features early Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane and others. Also counter culture luminaries such as Paul Krassner, Neal Cassady and Ralph J Gleason can be heard.

Does anyone know who is the person that talks about the Stones at 37:10 of this clip ?

Early San Francisco Audio

[​IMG]

2. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd like to commend you for having a very cool website! I've bookmarked it for further exploration.

Thanks! :righton:

Javed Jafri likes this.
  3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

It's definitely a documentary of some kind since the recordings date from various periods in the early bay area days. From the little I listened to, it sounds like the person talking about the stones was the mc for the show from the way it was described.

4. Javed Jafri

Not Andrew Oldham ?

Also wondering if anyone knows who does the preacher type rap near the end of the clip that talks about brother humans rose colored glasses.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  5. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

6. Javed Jafri

Hard to get away from scandal.

Now does anyone know who does the preacher type rap which starts at 46:33 about brother humans rose colored glasses

7. jmcinnis

jmcinnis Forum Resident

This is a portion from 'What Was That or Suddenly Lost Summer 1966-1976' special broadcast over two days by KSAN San Francisco in 1976. A retrospective look at the decade with music & interviews. This looks to be production notes?

Javed Jafri and Mister Charlie like this.
  8. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

What a cool site!

Javed Jafri likes this.
  9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I couldn't identify the voice but what band is that playing at about 49 minutes on?

The song list photo gets cut off near the bottom. Sounds a lot like Garcia/Casady/Hart.

10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I have that on tape somewhere but it's been years since I listened to it.

11. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

You can hear pretty much all of it here

vampirrecs's profile on Clyp

jamesmaya and Mister Charlie like this.
  12. jmcinnis

jmcinnis Forum Resident

Big Brother - 'All is Loneliness'.

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. Javed Jafri

Wow I had no idea that existed. Quite the compendium of SF sounds and includes not only KSAN and KMPX but also other stations that were used for the special. So many highlights and one that's easy to find is the KSAN jingle, by what sounds like Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks, at the very beginning of part 1 which appears at the very bottom of the screen. This is the most that I have seen from any one free form station outside of a site which has almost 30 hours of WMMR from 1971.

Seems that my tape consists of little segments mostly from the special but I don't get the notes or the fact that my tape is mono and and the special linked above is mostly stereo.

14. Javed Jafri

Thanks to you as well as chicofishhead for the info. I have added an addendum to my post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.