Early solo DiMeola on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Duke of Prunes, Aug 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes New Member Thread Starter

Hey. Hopefully a simple question. How's the quality and variation/versions of CDs of Al DiMeola's solo stuff, more specifically Elegant Gypsy, and, though less importantly right now, his other early solo works? Thanks for any advice/help offered!

Rob

2. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

The Legacy remasters sound quite good, while the Japanese Sony's (mini-LP sleeves) seem to be a little better still. Most of his solo stuff sounds excellent on vinyl too, and the LPs are cheap.

Scenario may be an exception - I do not like how that one sounds.

His later solo albums, originally on Manhattan Records (?) (Tiramisu, Cielo e Terra etc.) were released on CD by One Way Records (a cheap "special markets" edition), and the sound qty is still very good - with just a few instruments, it is hard to spoil this stuff;).

The Rite of Strings (Di Meola/Stanley Clarke/Jean-Luc Ponty) on EMI/Gai Saber is an excellent sounding CD.

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Elegant Gypsy is available as a SACD import, and sounds fantastic. Absolutely blows away the original cd pressing. Sorry - can't compare it to the recent cd remasters.

While not a DiMeola solo album, the SACD import of Return To Forever's Romantic Warrior also sounds splendid.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That one appears to be out of print. It was listed on www.hmv.co.jp at one stage, but I didn't buy it. Foolish. When I went back some time later to buy it, the SACD was no longer listed. Do you know another source?

Regards,
    Geoff

5. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Sorry Geoff, that's where I got mine. Don't know of any other source.

:(

HZ

6. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member

Have to agree with that, I'm happy to say I own it as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.