Early television preservationist Ed Reitan RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by cathandler, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive! Thread Starter

Eyes of a Generation's Bobby Ellerbee reports the sad news of Mr. Reitan's passing last night at UCLA Medical Center. Reitan won an Emmy in 1988 for his restoration work on "An Evening with Fred Astaire." That's only scratching the surface of his achievements. The kind of skill he brought to his work is irreplaceable. I'm sure I'm not the only person whose interest in early television, especially early color videotape, wasn't heightened by his early color television site:

http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/

He will be missed!

Dan C likes this.
  2. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

Just followed the link to his site. His passing means the light has dimmed on an excellent technician and historian. Rest his soul.

cathandler likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

So sad to hear, he was the first on line with color TV info anywhere. We'll miss him.

cathandler likes this.
  4. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Without knowing what the legal issues would be,it would seem a good way to honor his work would be a rebroadcast of "An Evening with Fred Astaire".I for one,would love to see Mr.Astaire in the oldest surviving color videotape television special that would showcase the restoration work that Mr. Reitan and others won an Emmy for.

5. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Damn. I didn't know Mr. Reitan personally, but certainly knew of him via his amazing website. Hopefully arrangements will be made to either keep it online or archive its wealth of information elsewhere. I have the highest respect for people like him who exhibit mastery of a field of knowledge that to most people is truly arcane, are driven to do so by a love of the field in question, and are always happy to share their knowledge with others who are interested.

RIP

cathandler likes this.
  6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Oh, no! I loved Ed! Such a shame.

There are several of my posts in the Visual Arts forum here that were secretly about Ed, but I had too much respect for his privacy to come out and say, "I was at Ed Reitan's house and....." yada yada, but a bunch of stuff I've posted about early RCA videotape, video restoration, CBS spinwheel color TV, etc., came from my visits with Ed in Omaha and our assorted e-mails over the years. The guy knew his stuff inside and out, and despite a rocky start to our friendship (involving some misunderstood public comments each of us made about a movie theatre project), we worked out the kinks and became very friendly, and I came to have nothing but respect and admiration for Ed, and a gratefulness that I was lucky enough to know him as a friend.

Rest in peace.

By the way, the collection of early TVs at Ed's house is museum-worthy. Truly stunning. Also, watching that Fred Astaire special with Ed was an educational experience par excellence.

lukpac, Dave Garrett and cathandler like this.
  7. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

There are few giants in the restoration/preservation corner of the industry, but Ed was one of them.

He will be **sorely** missed...

Thanks for your enormous legacy, Ed.

- Kevin

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Ed Reitan's web site was heaven for anyone interested in early Color TV history. And still is. He was an authority on all matters video and historical TV,

9. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Hope someone archives that website before it disappears.

10. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

MLutthans likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.