Ebay alert -- inexpensive DACs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bangsezmax, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident Thread Starter

Someone on eBay is selling a whole bunch of Entech Number Cruncher 205.2 DACs. They've sold 16 already and still have 8 listed. The prices have been declining as people have snapped them up. I picked one up for $62. They're going for even less than that now, and these boxes were originally priced at $400.

Please note that I have no associations with the seller. Caveat emptor as always. I'm taking my chance on one of these as well. I just thought that anyone wanting to upgrade their redbook sound might want to look at this because it looks like a bargain and the unit got some pretty good reviews when it came out.

http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/digital-sources/entech_205-2.html

Also, if anybody out there has any personal knowledge of these DACs, please let's hear it. What I've been able to discover was that these were made by folks formerly associated with Audio Alchemy and were distributed/marketed by Monster Cable.

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

What the heck...I grabbed one for $70. I've never owned a DAC so let's see what happens...

3. Bradfinger

Bradfinger Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this. Just placed my bid, as I've been needing a DAC for a while.
    I hate CDs, and I hope this will improve the sound significantly.

4. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

don't forget the $25 shiping fee! They seem to be making their money on the backside.

For fun, take a look at the completed sales for this unit, the prices are all over the place.

5. pdenny

I lost the first two tries after lowballing but the third time did the trick once I put in a max bid of $75.

6. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

If you hate CDs, I fail to see how an external DAC will make you happy. I have an upsampling DAC (the MSB Link III with 96/24 upgrade). It's OK, but I wouldn't say it's a night and day difference over my stock Sony SACD player.

It looks cool in my rack, though.

7. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

I already have a Bel Canto DACII, but I am kind of interested in playing around with a squeezebox and am pretty sure that any external DAC will outperform the internal unit.

8. bangsezmax

I've been playing with another inexpensive DAC, the Lite DAC-AH, and it makes a marked improvement over the DAC in my old Denon. (I probably wouldn't have bought the Lite if I had known these Crunchers were coming up on eBay, but I own it now).

In many cases you can hook an external DAC up to a DVD player (or a universal) and it is far better than the built-in DACs for redbook. May be just the thing for a spare system if you already have a higher-end redbook player.

I just got the Cruncher today and am burning it in now. It'll be interesting to compare it to the Lite DAC-AH. The DAC-AH is very smooth sounding, especially in the bass. It seems to be missing just a touch of sparkle in the highs. However, my Yamaha integrated is older (late 1970s) and doesn't seem to be as bright as more modern mid-fi gear, so it may work better for some people than for me.

The big difference I notice is in soundstaging. I had pretty much written this aspect off on CDs in comparison to vinyl, but it really comes through on the Lite DAC-AH. The built in DACs on my other gear just make everythig sound flat in comparison.

9. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

10. jackieboy

jackieboy Forum Resident

I Just Snagged one from ebay. hoping for the best .... hehe. thanks for the tip. I'll try it with my soundbridge flac player or my dvd/cd player see if it's an improvement.

11. boead

boead New Member

Its old(er) technology but not bad.

$400? Well you can put any MSRP tag you want on whatever but considering its age technologically, …well you get what you pay for.

Also, this guy may be a power seller but he has 1523 negative and 1229 neutral comments. All the negatives are the same, poorly represented product, lots saying sold as new but was obviously used. Other for defective, non working product.

These devices are likely new just old stock.

I’d rather buy this!
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1148178793

or this:
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1148186584
    or this:
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1147987925

or this:
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1147976297

12. bangsezmax

They're definitely new old stock -- all in the original packaging, still wrapped. He obviously got a huge lot of them somehow and is just trying to unload them.

Believe me, I took the guy's negatives into account. But then, I also figure that's gonna drive the price down.

Of your links, two of them are for DIPs which would still require an outboard DAC if I'm not mistaken.

I originally started looking for the Entechs based on these stellar reviews on AudioReview.com . (Note those reviews are for the 203.2, the little brother of the 205.2). I had given up finding a new one as they were out of production when I came across this lot on eBay.

So I got a decently-reviewed DAC (probably comparable in quality to the Gamma ifm not better) for $87 shipped. Sure, I could get a better one (like the Sigma), but not at that price point. So long as it's not a lemon, I found it hard to see how I could have done better.

13. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

From the posts I read on this DAC, it sounds good.. actually great for your price, but, that seller has too many red flags for me. Still odds are you'll be a happy camper. Let us know how it sounds.

14. bangsezmax

Okay, I'm not quite 24 hours into the break-in time, but already survey says :edthumbs:

So I won the auction Friday night (paid immediately via PayPal) and the Entech was on my doorstep by Wednesday at noon. No complaints there. Seems obviously NOS from the packaging (the shipping box was from Monster Cable). Box contained the DAC, a manual, a power supply (long cables on either side of the PS, so you don't have to plug a wall-wart into a receptacle). So for all the negatives that this seller may have, he's not going to get one for this sale.

I plugged it up and started throwing CDs at it, using my Pioneer DV-588A through the toslink output.

Side note: I wish someone could explain the science behind break-in. The notion that such a solid-state piece of gear would change that much just seems kinda strange to me. But by golly, it sure does happen.

After about six hours of playing, it seemed to settle down quite nicely. I don't want to get too deep into audiophile jargon (it would be SO easy to parody audiophile-speak. Unfortunately, only audiophiles would get the joke. :D ) so I'll stick with the easily describeable obvious advantages of the Entech DAC vs. the internal DAC on the Pioneer.

Soundstage! -- :agree: Redbook no longer sounds flat with this thing. Very cool to hear lead vocals coming straight out at you from a non-existent point source as opposed to being mushed across both channels. In fact, on some CDs with great female vocals (Etta James' Mystery Lady and k d lang's Ingenue to name two), the vocals seem to be emerging from an area just slightly above the plane of my speakers. Wierd. May have something to do with how my speakers are placed, dunno.

Ear fatigue -- gone, gone gone. I would get tired of listening to CDs before, probably due to that mashed-flatness that I was describing. Not that it was bad per se, but it was dull and not very engaging. SACDs and vinyl just sounded loads better. But with this DAC, it (finally) puts redbook up to where it seems worth the effort. That's a big plus.

Detail -- in spades. Probably related to whatever is happening with the soundstage. The music just seems to have more room to breathe, and therefore I can hear more detail then I could before. Little instrumental parts that were buried before can now show themselves. Cool.

As I said previously, I also picked up the LiTe DAC-Ah. This is a newer inexpensive Chinese DAC ($135, but you have to pay shipping from Hong Kong). Poth audio sells both the stock model and a highly modified version that is said to rival any DAC out there. (See review here.) The stock DAC-AH is quite nice, but I like the sound of the Entech better. There's just a smidge more clarity in the highs on the Entech. But the LiTe is still a fine little upgrade from you run-of-the-mill mass-market internal DAC. As I said earlier, the bass is really smooth and full on the LiTe.

For the folks who have already invested a good deal into their redbook setup, I don't believe that this Entech would be a huge improvement (if any). But for all of us bargain hunter audiophiles out there, this little unit may be just the ticket.

15. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Thank you for the review, I really wanted to know someone's experience with this unit...I am very, very tempted and may grab one now....

16. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

I just scored one!

Well, I just did. It took me three auctions, but I finally got one for $70. Not bad for a $400 unit, if you ask me.

I tell you, those snipers are ruthless. I lost two auctions to them, but I out-sniped them on the third. :laugh:

I can't wait to run my Sony SACD-CD775 through it. Now, which Toslink cable to buy?

17. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

If you guys have SPDIF outputs and this DAC has SPDIF inupts, I would recomend using that over toslink. Coaxials sound much better!

18. pdenny

Well I'm sitting here in my office, practically in tears. For once, though, they're tears of joy. I burned in my Entech for a couple of days and finally sat down tonight to give it a try. Remember, I've never owned a DAC and I figured for $95 how could I lose?

It's connected to a 15-year-old Sony XA1-ES, via Toslink (only optical option there). From there it's Monster Interlink whatevers to my Fisher 800-C tube monster. Vintage late-70's Polk monitors, resting on the floor.

Everything bangsezmax I echo. I'm truly stunned...it's almost like a new system. The soundstaging, position of instruments, sense of separation, more realistic vocals. I have listened to Van Morrison's HEALING GAME maybe 100 times in 9 years but when I heard his voice bounce off the back of the studio tonight for the first time ever I thought I'd plotz.

Needless to say I'm very happy. Now I just have to get another for my living room system!

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I think the inclusion of the Monster Cable T-shirts is keeping the prices down. :p

20. pdenny

Just noticed the seller has some 203.2's for sale...wonder what I'd be missing (versus the 205.2) if I got one?

21. jackieboy

jackieboy Forum Resident

Heh My Dac situation hasn't gone as smooth as the other guys here. I Bought this Dac from a different seller on ebay. I was sent one that appears to have a European plug and runs on 230 volts.

I have been trying to work with the guy for a refund. but I just see red flags on the whole deal. He say's ebay will refund my money after 60 days. I paid his paypal account. I responded to his report to ebay. but it seems strange ebay releasing both of us from obligations to each other without me having my money back. whats to stop him from getting the unit back and saying "hey I'm released from obligation heres the email: (ambrose is the seller)

Dear ambos99,

The dispute involving eBay item#5881194446, Monster Cable Entech Number Cruncher NC205 205.2 has been closed by mutual agreement.

You are released from any obligations to jamescomics regarding this item.

Regards,
    eBay

Now I have to get item back.When item is received I should go back to eBay to report item is received.They will refund my listing and final value fees + shipping/handling fees need to be refunded.After that you should get rest of the money.They say it could take up to 60 days,not me. I hope it will not take so long.I have no problem to pay you back.I just wana my money paid back too.I hope you understand this. Than you for your time

Anyway I don't know what I'm gonna do. Leery to buy an adapter because the voltage goes from 230- 115 which sounds like i would need a transformer and plug adapter.

I'm not to happy but i received a positive feed back already so I think he is nervous I will give a negative. Which I am certainly considering doing.

So I have this Dac And Right now I use it as a paper weight.It's pretty good for that so far.

Grrr :realmad: what a ebay hassle this is.

22. bangsezmax

Most excellent. :righton:

I'm pretty blown away by this unit. I could never justify spending megabucks (well, kilobucks really) on one of the "better" DACs because I'm a budget audiophile who just doesn't have that much disposable income (you should see the old clunkers I drive!).

But after hearing this unit, I'm done as far as my redbook setup. Whatever differences there could be between these little Entechs and the higher-end DACs is negligible as far as I'm concerned. This thing sounds great. I just hope it lasts for a long time.

As far as the 203.2s, it looks essentially the same with the exception of three things -- the 205.2 has a phase inverter switch, an extra coaxial input (with switching on the front and LED indicator lights), and a more sophisticated output filter.

Jackie, I am sorry to hear about your troubles. Odd that the guy with the significantly better feedback rating was the one with the issue. Whatever happens, I hope it all works out to your satisfaction and that you get a chance to get ahold of one of these.

23. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

I'm gonna have to agree with pdenny on this one, too.

I got my Entech, added it to the system and let it break in for about 48 hours straight. I immediately heard more air and detail in the sound, but after it broke in I was stunned at the sheer increase in musical information I'm getting out of my already heavily-tweaked Sony SACD-CD775. The soundstage improvements are insane, even with orchestral music. And even boxy-sounding CDs from the late 80s sound better. I listened to Slovenly's "Riposte" on SST records twice in a row, freaked out at how fresh and clear and open it sounded. It was like rediscovering an old friend.

I'm running my Toshiba SD4900 DVD player through the Entech, too. I get so much more spacial info out of movies now I don't see how anybody would bother with 5.1 systems (that's one man's opinion).

This is probably the best tweak I've used in my system yet.

Initially I used the Entech with cheap interconnects (cheapo Monster, I think) and a cheapo Toslink cable ($10 at RatShack). The highs were definitely dulled quite a bit -- no sparkle, and the bass was tubby. But then I switched to my DNM Reson interconnects and then the magic started happening.

Now it's time to find a better Toslink cable. :thumbsup:

24. Bradfinger

Bradfinger Forum Resident

Got me too

I feel your pain sir.

I had an exact duplicate of your situation today. So far no response from the seller on my request for the correct adapter or refund. Of course Monster is no help as that is a discontinued product. I wanted to just purchase a 16Volt adapter for 110 Volts, but of course Radio Shack doesn't have what I need, and an internet search so far has proven quite fruitless.

Any of you technically inclined forum members out there able to help me source a 110Volt power supply for 16V/650mA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.