eBay Grading...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by AaronW, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member Thread Starter

When I'm bemused as to why only 50% of the records I've bought on eBay arrive in the condition as advertised I see auctions like this where at least there are pictures to prevent the waste of time & money.
    Description "Record Grading: VG+. Overall, a great collector's copy"
    [​IMG]

tmtomh, black sheriff, Raynie and 2 others like this.
  2. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Unbelievable.

tmtomh likes this.
  3. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I think the only real problem with the description is the absence of a single word: "Overall, a great garbage collector's copy."

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes been there myself quite a few times. There's been many listings that I didn't have any interest in once I noticed what the lp actually looked like in the photos. Looking at the cover and comparing that with the grade given is, sometimes, a dead giveaway that the lp will likely not be graded well either.

I've even bought play graded lps that have not been as described. I can be fairly generous on my play grades as a buyer (strict as a seller) so I give leeway. I have no idea how people miss some of the very audible issues they say don't exist.

I try and avoid the amateur sellers or the sellers who are "selling my dads record collection" that have "not been played since before they were born" and "in storage since then, untouched" and hence they are in "great condition" because usually it turns out their Dad played those records like he loved them more than his soon to arrive kid(s). But of course there are exceptions.

5. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Conversely, I've generally had some pretty good success buying from amateurs, especially where they include a few photos and have 100% feedback. I find they tend to grade everything as "very good condition", which on the balance of things means more often than not you'll end up with something in better Goldmine condition. I've picked up some nice NM vinyl from such sellers here in Australia, including some rare stuff at bargain prices. But as always, YMMV.

Raynie and Dave S like this.
  6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

A frisbee for the beach.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

No I do agree. Hence my comment "But of course there are exceptions" :)

Jae likes this.
  8. AaronW

So I had to ask him "From your photo it looks like this record is in terrible condition and covered in scratches, is this correct?"

His reply "Not really. It does look scratchy, but it's more like "surface scratches"... I'd say scuffs, really. Record cleaner should take care of most of it. The lighting really makes it look worse than it is. It is a used album, to be sure. My guess is that it was used on an old record player that would stack albums on the spindle, and drop them one at a time to play them, thereby scuffing them against one another."

9. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

Looks like it was used as a frisbee in a sandpaper factory...

10. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Wow, I wonder what sort of "record cleaner" should take care of most of it.

ARK likes this.
  11. asodoma

asodoma Senior Member

sandpaper is the only thing that will help that record look better... o_O

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  12. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

..it'll buff right out.

At least there are photos on ebay. "Perfect except for being busted in half".

discogs main downfall is no photos so not only grading problems but linked to the wrong release too.

13. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Yes, but does it "play through without any major skips" :)
    These clowns give new meaning to the word "optimistic".

14. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I think one of the bigger mistakes eBay has made has to do with free listings. You have sellers that don't know diddly squat about grading, and because they have free listings, it's a no lose situation for them. They list stuff that is literally junk, grade it as "great condition" and hope that it doesn't get returned..... or don't care. This is one of the things that has ruined the "eBay experience"....
    I returned an lp that was graded "mint" that had an obvious scratch 20 seconds into the first song and it skipped. They apologized, refunded my money plus return postage and said they don't know how they missed it. Almost everything lp-wise that I've bought on eBay has been overgraded. But I keep plugging away, and if it isn't up to par, I return it. Life is to short to get stuck with somebody else's crap-ola.

15. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

Wow, just wow. I buy used online 1-2x year tops, just not worth disappointment and stupid prices. I count my blessings.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  16. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I know this has been discussed here off and on but the record grading on eBay is REALLY out of control these days. The sad thing is, there are some excellent eBay vinyl sellers but more and more anyone with a closet and a computer and a certain lack of visual and/or auditory acuity can call themselves a record seller and many of these folks are making a joke of the place. And then add to that the seller rating system-- wow! Turn in D+ work and get an A (as in 99.8% rating) on your report card?? There's a word or two for this. I'll let it go at that.

Eye's a rolling!

17. Brian Lux

Didn't notice the "no more bad seller thread" until this morning. Sorry for the above post!

18. paul.laurr8

paul.laurr8 New Member

ebay is become bad last 2-3 years

19. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I think you're OK on this. My understanding is that ebay doesn't count as a "seller" in this context because they're just a venue. Same as a flea market - you would be buying from an individual seller who has a table there, not from the flea market directly. This also applies to Discogs and Amazon's Marketplace sellers. When it's stated that we shouldn't name bad sellers, I've always thought it means don't name the seller/company name who you've bought from VIA those venues.

Dave, Brian Lux and eddiel like this.
  20. Brian Lux

Makes sense. Thanks, no.nine.

no.nine likes this.
  21. cellery

cellery Well-Known Member

Funny, had a very compareable experience to the OP just last week; got in a jazz record that was graded VG+ but looked much like OP's record and sounded about as good as you'd expect with a look like that (read: not at all good). I politely informed the seller that I thought he overgraded it but he insisted that it was VG+ and refused to take a return, even if I paid for shipping both ways. Had to pressure him into a return by making a Paypal claim. Shame, really. On the whole my experiences've been possitive but there's always the occasional bad apple to sour the bunch.

22. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

I've had similar experiences with LPs graded EX or NM and they've arrived with many scratches and deep scuffs and very noisy. I've been buying from people with 100% feedback. I've also received an LP that was significantly different than pictured. Seller admitted to using someone's pictures, not his own. So there's a lot to be careful of.

23. AaronW

Saw this doozie on eBay that some here might get a chuckle over. Description reads:

"Cover is VG++(Cover NM except for a 4.5" x 5/8" tear at the bottom of the opening right edge. See pictures"

Oh yeah, and they're only asking $34o. At least it wasn't on pictureless Discogs!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

When I use to buy on ebay I started only buying from sellers who showed many pics and had needle drop samples on their listings. Not a ton of sellers do that and you pay more usually. But, to me, it was the only way of not getting trashed records.

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Samples are handy. There's been quite a few occasions where the samples were provided and they sounded completely different than the grade. VG+ grade and worse than VG play. But at least you know what you're getting into.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.