eBay - Japanese Silver Beatles CD + rare Herb Alpert!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ascot, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

This is not a bootleg! I don't think so anyway, but if the Gorts feel otherwise, zap away and accept my apologies. This disc was issued in Japan in the early or mid-80's and is the best sounding disc I've heard of the Beatles' Decca audition (with Pete Best on drums). It does not include the three Lennon/McCartney originals.

The seller dropped the price from when it was originally listed and there are just a few hours left. I don't know how often this disc comes up. I do not see it often.

Silver Beatles

He also is selling Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream, which is worth it for the cover alone!

Whipped Cream and Other Delights

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Interesting...."long out of print" means two years? :rolleyes: I'll be curious to see what Whipped Cream closes for, with the back insert missing.

3. ascot

I didn't notice the back insert was missing or I would have mentioned that. I didn't bid anyway. I thought the Alpert discs were OOP for much longer than 2 years. Can't argue with you, Rudy!

No one has bid on the Beatles disc - 20 minutes left! This disc is mono and uses no NR!

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Whipped Cream sold for $33. Not too shabby!

I'm guessing two years out of print--it sounds about right. My buddy who owns a music store might still remember the exact cut-out date for it.

5. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

The Beatles CD is missing the OBI.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I am still amazed by how much those Herb Alpert discs go for. It's strange to think that so many titles of a well-known artist on a major label like A&M would be so rare. I still feel like I will walk into a used CD shop and find discs like these. I can see people getting rid of Alpert discs at a used shop with the seller and the store having no concept of their rarity. Admittedly, I haven't found these discs yet. All I've found (and passed on) have been US pressings of the greatest hits compilation and the Classics Vol. # compilation.

7. ascot

If I think of it I look for the Alpert discs, too, when I'm in a used CD store. My family had the original LP's so I am somewhat familiar with the music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.