eBay only providing 20 free listings instead of 50 now?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Romerovm, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I wanted to take advantage of the 50 free listings ebay usually provides, but I only see 20 free listings under my "all selling" tab. Did anything change?

2. Romerovm

Anyone else sells on eBay? :confused:

3. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I do, and they sent me an updated notice. It is THEIR opinion that if you sell more than 20 items a month, it is to your advantage to subscribe to one of their "stores" pay a monthly fee, and give them a little more money than they actually deserve. (which is none imo) I think the final fees on music drop from 10% to 9% (WOW). I look at it this way, I don't sell a lot on eBay anymore, but 20 listings a month is good for me on auctions and buy it now listings are only .05 to.10 per listing. For a company that started out as only a "go between" for buyers and sellers, it has turned into a giant money sucking corporation that sets ALL the rules for their members.

Gumboo likes this.
  4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

You don't think you should be paying anything to advertise your wares?

5. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

Did I say that? Apparently you don't sell there. I did a lot back when fees were reasonable, and I do now that fees are a lot higher, just not anywhere as much.
    Right before they went to a flat fee for final values, I sold a preamplifier and they showed a chart illustrating what old fees were and what they would be. The fee I paid when the preamp sold was around $25-$28. If I would have relisted it and sold it at the same price, the "New" final fee would have been $58.50
    In answer to your question, I don't mind paying fair seller fees, I just don't enjoy getting screwed. What did they do to improve the seller experience over a one day span that they had to more than double their "take". Quick answer.... nothing.

6. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Well, yeah, you said the amount of money they deserve is none. I quoted you above.

I used to sell there a lot more, too, but it's not the fees that drove me off - they didn't change that much for what I was selling, couple percentage points or so, no big deal as long as they had a strong base of buyers. But that base has diminshed, and mostly I've just decided I really don't enjoy filling mail orders. The last straw is the new Paypal rules that allow the buyer to say the item is "not as described" for any reason for six months after she bought it, at which point she gets all her money including shipping back and if I want my product returned I get to pay for that, too.

7. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

Just to make it clear, I meant the additional money in the form of a monthly fee with their store subscription. Every change they make to improve the "seller experience" is nothing more than a increase in fees.

By the way...... who is "She"?

8. Romerovm

Well I must have missed the email. It sucks for me because I did list about 50 items every month. I do care about paying fees because some of the items I was selling could/do take a few months to sell, so relisting will be money out of my pocket. :mad:

9. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

It is my understanding that the auction and buy it now listings for music did go up and are now a flat fee of 30 cents across the board, unless you are a premium or anchor store seller.

I'm in the same boat as the original poster. 50 was about what I normally do. 20 is not a lot. I will have to be very careful about relists now. I'm guessing they were tired of people relisting over priced items again and again, since it probably looks bad to see tons of unsold merch, but still. 50 to 20 will keep me from listing more.

I was also unaware of this paypal change regarding '6 months to say item not as described'. That sounds ridiculous. Basically a half a year no questions asked return policy. I don't even think giant cooperate chains have that kind of return time!

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    Romerovm likes this.
  10. Romerovm

Well Discogs will definitely get most of my listings with this change. :mad:

Unfortunately things don't move as quick, but I have no choice anymore.

Gumboo likes this.
  11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

There's also a new user agreement coming up as well - can someone please explain this section to me?

It sounds like ebay is forcing you to pay your monthly fees with your Paypal account, as opposed to having the option to pay via credit card, etc.??

{Users now authorize eBay to instruct PayPal to make deductions from their PayPal account(s) for fees, returned items, items not as described, return shipping, cancellations (under our new cancellation policy), and Money Back Guarantee reimbursements. eBay will recommend, rather than request, when PayPal can restrict funds in a seller's PayPal account.}

12. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

No, My take on this is you have to authorize eBay to deduct from your paypal account since they are going to be seperate entities now. There just isn't an automatic link between the two. (I think that makes sense...)

13. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

You said it perfectly.

Gumboo likes this.
  14. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

It's the absolute truth. eBay was founded to bring together buyers and sellers. Something that wasn't available anywhere else. Now, to "improve buyer and seller experiences" you have to do everything their way. Now, their user policies say you are required to use "product identifiers" to list new products in certain categories (of which Music is one). Gee, how many times do you use a search........ "oh, maybe tonight I'll search using upc codes, that's always quick and easy".
    eBay used to be fun, (to a certain extent anyways), but now it has turned into so much freakin' work, it just isn't worth the trouble.
    A couple years ago, they were struggling with a $10 a share stock price, I haven't looked for a while but not long ago it was around $52 or $53 a share.
    That says: Giant Money Sucking Corporation.

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  15. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

They are also adding unlimited credits on insertion fees for items that sell after the 20 free listings.

Plus they typically have twice a month unlimited listings for a certain period of time (around four days). If you list during this time it doesn't count against the 20 free listings per month. Sometimes these special offers are only for fixed price, sometimes they are for auctions, sometimes both. They are offering free 30 day fixed price listings right now in fact, offer started today (can't remember the end date).

Rodz42 likes this.
  16. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Those unlimited listings are for newly listed items only. No re-lists.

Romerovm likes this.
  17. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Technically you are correct, but all you have to do is click on your unsold item and "sell similar" instead of "relist" and its considered a new listing and qualifies.

Romerovm likes this.
  18. Romerovm

Yeah, but with exception of relists, which is my biggest problem with their "2 day free listings". I was using the 50 free listings for those since it waived relisting fees.

19. Romerovm

Oh, I responded above before reading this... I will try it. Thanks!

ribors likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.