Ebay/paypal question, re- foreign currency

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by chewy, Jan 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewy

chewy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently bought records from canada and mexico no problem, i payed on paypal checkout with a US dollar total. well the item i am interested in, in poland, i clicked ebay checkout and it listed it in "PLN" polish currency. so in that case, i believe it would charge me the bank conversion fee + i would have to alert the bank prior to the purchase, or they wont push it thru (they assume it fraud). or does this not matter cause im "going thru paypal"--- i truly believe in the previous cases the other sellers were selling in US dollars.....k thank you

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

It will go through, your account will be debited in US dollars, the Polish guy will be paid in PLN, and Paypal will scrape a little extra income from the conversions on both ends.

chewy and eddiel like this.
  3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah like R. Totale said. Paypal will do the conversion for you. They also tell you what the total will be in USD and what rate they are using.

melstapler and chewy like this.
  4. chewy

on the final page before submitting, it just listed the polish amount this time.....on the mexico and canada ones it let me know in US funds, before i clicked....

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Hmm. That used to happen to me when I had the option to let my credit card company do the conversion for me. Paypal processes the payment in the transaction currency rather than converting it first. Perhaps that's what was happening here. Were you putting the payment on your credit card or through your bank?

IIRC I was only given the option if I was paying via credit card. If it was my bank they always did it.

6. chewy

thanks for yr help-- i was just on non paypal account ebay checkout via paypal, with credit card as my option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.