eBay Question ???

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by QuestionMark?, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL Thread Starter

If someone is selling an lp on eBay, can you say that the lp will come with a needle drop of the lp? Or is that against the rules or the law?

2. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I wouldnt take a chance personally.

3. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

You could always just include one, of that's your idea of fun.

(I received a quad LP of Aqualung with a DTS CD inside it, unannounced :D )

4. QuestionMark?

It's not just my idea of fun, it just seems like a good idea. The buyer could have a copy for his car if he doesn't have the capabilities to make one and he could hear what the seller was describing when he listed the record. I know the buyer could just listen to the record to hear, but it may play differently on any equipment. It may entice me to buy a certain record if the seller listed this as a throw in.

5. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

Similarly, I've offered cd-r copies of sealed gold cds I put up for auction on Ebay.
    It's never been a problem.

6. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i can't imagine a seller would bother.it's extra work if they would/could do it.i don't recall seeing listings like that ever but i don't search lp's much these days.

7. QuestionMark?

I was just thinking about high priced stuff. I couldn't imagine doing it for everything you were going to list.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IIRC, a few years back there was a website that offers the original album and a free copy on CDR? I can't recall the name of it though? anyone remember this site?

9. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

If he also gives a CDR that tells me he's doing the needledrop for himself. He's just burning an extra copy for you. I don't see why he would bother doing this.

10. QuestionMark?

You don't think it may be a nice extra bonus throw in that some buyer may consider bidding on a record for?

11. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

I seriously doubt these are needledrops, just copies of the out of print CD's or downloaded torrents burned to disc.

Sellers do this as a way to skirt eBay's CD-R policy. For example, vinyl copies of The Babys catalog are readily available in the $1 bin at most record stores, but the CD's are out of print and fetch top dollar on eBay. A seller can list the cheap LP but offer a copy of the CD as a "backup". This allows them to sell CD-R copies of high demand titles for very little out of pocket expense.

12. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

I don't think most buyers would assume they're getting a copy of a scarce cd if the seller says they're also receiving a needledrop with their lp.
    If anything other than what's stated, I'd just expect a copy of a common cd pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.