EBay. Why you do this to me.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by coltlacey1, Jul 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

My fault for confusion. Mistyped Amazon instead of Ebay. The replacement stylus could be returned to Amazon for a refund while reclaiming Ebay purchase through Paypal payments.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

eBay sellers can be sneaky sometimes. I just bought a used reissue '63 Fender Reverb unit for my guitar rig on eBay. This is an oversized standalone unit that has an Accutronics spring reverb pan inside and three tubes, you've heard that sound on a million surf guitar records. It is supposed to have a bracket inside, accessible from the rear, that allows you to lock down the springs for transit.

After completing the sale, I reminded the seller to make sure that the springs were locked down before shipping, and it was only then that he admitted that the bracket was MIA and immediately offered to send me a rebate that I felt was fair, so I continued with the purchase. (He found another way to secure the springs before shipping.)

Looking at the pictures in the listing, it seems likely to me that he purposely avoided showing the area where the bracket would have been, which is a pretty sneaky thing to do, but at least he came clean once cornered and offered the rebate.

The seller has 100% feedback and is a proper brick'n'mortar guitar shop, so I expect it to be OK once it arrives (tomorrow!), but that sort of thing rubs me the wrong way. I'm on the fence about whether or not to post positive feedback or just not post feedback at all.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  3. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Its OK, yes I am agitated with the eBay seller, they still have not emailed me back about my inquiries. I have never had an issue with amazon. I have had to return a number of things. A brand new $2000 turbocharger grenaded on me after an hour of use. They took it right back and sent me another quite quickly. I'm sure all will be well after the stylus is received and I can enjoy what I was hoping to last night. I do still plan on keeping the cart, I'm just going to be more careful in the future or else not try to go the save a dollar route anymore. It is rare that I do but I really thought I was getting a heck of a deal.

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Don't bother. Skip him and go right to ebay/paypal.

utahusker, mwb and Lost In The Flood like this.
  5. coltlacey1

He actually just got ahold of me right after I posted. Asked if I wanted to return it. I sent a long explanation and told him if the cart does not function as intended when the new stylus has arrived I will be asking forna full refund.

6. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

You'll be letting him get away with it then. I suppose one has to choose one's battles, but I saw a suggestion above that seller should offer a partial refund based on the actual value of the product as you received it-- i.e. a cartridge body -- not as it was described when sold. That sounds like an alternate suggestion that would be fair and relatively easy if seller agrees. Just my 2 cents.

tmtomh likes this.
  7. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Leave negative feedback please, for the sake of the rest of us who may fall into this crook hands

autodidact, mwb, on7green and 2 others like this.
  8. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

As others have said, please go through eBay/PayPal and request a full refund; and ideally leave honest feedback. Good luck!

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  9. coltlacey1

Here, just so you guys know the words, this is what I sent when he asked if I would like to return it.

[​IMG]

10. coltlacey1

Looking at his feedback now, it would appear this has been an issue in the past.

11. action pact

Why are you allowing this sale to go through if you will be losing money vs. buying a brand new cart? It makes no sense to me.

12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I have two comments for what it's worth

a) eBay didn't do anything you, the seller did. If anything eBay is on the buyer's side with this and if you contact them (or Paypal) you will get all the money you paid including shipping back, probably today. As others have stated AZ will also completely refund you for your replacement stylus and to me it's a no brainer to get those two refunds and start from scratch with a brand new in box cart and stylus for less money.

b) There is no question the cartridge is "significantly not as described" since obviously without a stylus it cannot be working perfectly which is what he said. But on the other hand, he did put up a number of pictures and it can clearly be seen in them that there is no cantilever or stylus. While this doesn't excuse him it's a good idea for anyone buying a used item secondhand, by mail or in person, to use a reasonable amount of "buyer beware". If you didn't look at the photos (or only looked at them on a phone and the screen was too small to see this) take the whole unpleasant experience as a lesson to be a bit more careful.

13. coltlacey1

mainly, because $50 isn't too big of a deal, shipping it back to japan isn't something I am terribly interested in either. I put the stylus on fedex so it will be here in a day or two, I atleast have the cart now which I was wanting in the first place. yes, it did not function as I had hoped. As of right now I will be able to use it soon which is all I want whether the cart is used or not doesn't bother me too much. I mainly just wanted to share and let people know about this. Also, I am on hitch work currently and I work 13+ hours a day for 7 days a week. it makes dealing with things like this difficult (as far as being able to get to the post office to send something off to another country and not get caught screwing around on the clock) start work at 6 and get off at 7 usually so of course the post office is close before and after.

14. coltlacey1

I can agree with you, the title of the post was just attention. Im not quite daft enough to think ebay caused this haha. and yes, I was looking on a phone screen. I really didn't thing anyone would leave a portion of the stylus attached to the cart during a sale. it really seems misleading to me.

15. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

16. Jay_S

Jay_S Well-Known Member

I've had good and bad experiences with buying used cartridges. One thing that is important is to make sure that the cantilever is straight and not skewed. You need to see a clear picture taken at an angle that establishes that the cantilever is properly centered. If you can't get comfortable with this then don't buy. Even new cartridges have issues with this - I just had to return a new moving coil cartridge that came factory fresh with a poorly aligned stylus.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, secured with duct tape.:p

18. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

:laugh: Probably. Keep us posted, action pact!

19. action pact

My spidey sense tells me that this guy knows what he's doing. For example, he told me that he pulled the tubes and packed them separately. He probably stuffed it with bubble tape to protect the springs.

On the subject of tubes, I think a previous owner may have upgraded them from whatever crappy tubes Fender sticks in there at the factory. Can anyone identify the brands from this view? I can almost see some logos...

[​IMG]

Agent of Fortune likes this.
  20. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

Great cartridge when the stylus is attached.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  21. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Given the choice between a brand new cartridge (with warranty) or a used cartridge that costs $50 more than new (once the replacement stylus is added), it really is a no brainer. Return the cartridge and go with a new one! Perhaps consider keeping the stylus you bought from Amazon as a replacement...since you'll likely need that someday in the future.

tmtomh and alan967tiger like this.
  22. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member

Unfortunately scammers and dishonest buyers take advantage of these rules.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hmm. So I saw the original listing. I don't know what to say. It is pretty obvious there was no stylus, but I also think a more honest seller would have clearly stated in the description: NO STYLUS. Especially a seller with 4,000 sales! So I think the buyer is partly to blame for jumping the gun without asking THE question. But I think the seller was also a bit deceptive in not noting the missing stylus. Honestly, I'm a bit torn who is to blame now. As the seller does offer returns, per ebay's rules, the buyer will have to pay for return shipping. So he can factor that cost into what he's "saving" by keeping the cart. The whole affair is a drag but if the buyer is happy when he gets the stylus and everything is okay, I can see his decision to just shrug and say the hell with it.

24. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Not if he paid with Paypal. If he did and it's ruled "significantly not as described" (which is obvious) it will be the seller's responsibility for paying for its return if he wants it back.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Right. But first he'll have to escalate it to a claim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.