Ebert's "Great Movies" - how many have you seen?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Dunno, looks like i've seen them all minus 20 or 30.

3. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

184, I think...?

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Looks like 158.

Interesting list, though there are a number of movies on it I wouldn't call GOOD, much less "great"!

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

95 or so. Is BEAT THE DEVIL even available in a good edition?

6. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Scratching my head on quite a few myself.

I think I saw 72 of them from start to finish and probably around the same amount of them, or more, partially.

Some of the older movies listed I never saw, but did see the remakes.

Interesting that he has a couple Beatles movies listed and few teenage comedies as well.

7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

About 90, was going double looking through it all.

8. htom

htom Senior Member

183 here. Most I agree with their inclusion on such a list.

9. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

10. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I've seen 93 for certain, from start to finish, and parts of many more. The thing is, out of those 267 I haven't seen, there are only another 30 or so that I would want to watch.

11. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

I counted 149.

12. Like "Contact"?

eric777 likes this.
  13. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

14. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Im too busy to count, so I'll just say a lot.

15. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

I count 239 that I have definitely seen, but I'd bet I have seen at least a dozen more from the list than that, but I can't distinguish them clearly.

16. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

135 or so, the odd choices usually have a good reason why they've been chosen. However, there are still a few that leave me scratching my head as to why someone would rank them that highly.
    For criticism there is little equal to the first Great Movies book.

17. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Nice list. It would be perfect if Spielberg's A.I. wasn't on there.

18. Oatsdad

"Contact" is certainly a "huh?" choice. Plenty of others that I don't like, too, but that's cool - we all have our preferences...

19. Rocker

Such as....?? ;)

I'm in the (seemingly) incredibly small minority who thought Contact was a fantastic film. I've never understood why so many people dislike it with such a passion, but hey, to each his own. :)

HGN2001 likes this.
  20. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

A.I. is the sleeper for cult staus in the years to come.

21. Collector Man

22. Rocker

How can you immediately discount 230+ films? You can't know if you'd like a movie or not until you watch it.....

:confused:

23. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Looks like I've seen 34 from start to finish. A few minutes of several of the
    rest. I'm not much of a movie fan or TV watcher.........

24. Collector Man

Ebert's choice of not only including Godfather 1 ,,,but Godfather 2??!!!!! I recently relooked at the latter film
    (1)It is a fine example of disjointed plotting. Various political characters are early introduced but the reasons regards futher proper plot development -the expected 'payoff' ever dissolves or disappears. Other characters are merely introduced to help prop up its 162 minute running time -creating but 'a big hick-up' when they instead wanted a epic. Keaton's 'big reveal' to Pacino before he slaps her...is both laughably dumb and stupid in dramatic terms. Almost as if her character is too ignorant to know the true menace Pacino's character is capable of. Please!!!!!What the hell is Troy Donahue in the film for,,,(another 'star' name just to add to the credits)? The whole thing meanders along, telegraphing everything coming, every chance it gets - like a tired dated day time serial. You think "get it over with ... this is boring"
    All this, dubiously complimented with that ill conceived 'continental feel ' dark shadowy lighting., except for things like say, the Miami shots to let people know "its sunny, down there "
    (2) The incredibly clumsly lay out construction of the script ....plus the extremely bad messy disjointed editing accentuating it, is a marvel at showing Coppola 'so full of ideas, so unable to then execute them properly'. A first grade easy primer for any film student.
    (3) The only time Coppola really grabbed hold and showed real controlled bravura direction ,was the final denouement scene at the opera house - for something like 28 minutes duration - in the derided Godfather 3.

25. Oatsdad

"Contact" isn't a BAD film - I just don't think it's better than "pretty good", and it's definitely not something I'd put on a list of "the great films"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.