ECM SACD reissues: March 8, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lucidae, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for actually getting registered there if you're in the US? They want a 7-digit postal code, and they want some sort of 13-digit affinity card number and a PIN.

2. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

I gave up trying to navigate Tower's site. It's not very English friendly. But, I just saw that CDJapan has it listed. Note that they add two 500 yen "fees" to your order, but I had points that offset most of that so I went ahead and ordered it.

RiRiIII likes this.
  3. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD Thread Starter

Are you talking about CDJapan's proxy shopping service?

4. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Not always. Check out the Sony Japan Multichannel SACD reissues of the Jeff Beck albums from the Original Quad Master Tapes. :)

fredblue likes this.
  5. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

I assume that's what it is. All I know is that CDJapan listed it, and not only could I read the description, I already had an account. It cost me an extra 1000 yen, but like I said I had points so who cares. It shipped today.

Lucidae likes this.
  6. Setsuko

Setsuko New Member

Dear Ozu-sensei!

Have you tried the SACD and changed your mind, haven't you?
    I bought the SACD at Tower Records shop in Tokyo the day before yesterday and I got so satisfied.

In my case, DSD tracks were ripped and converted to DSD256 as my DAC is better at the rate.

Respectfully yours,
    Setsuko

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

They seem to have only listed the Jarrett, I wonder if they will list the others in the near future?

8. Lucidae

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Can't comment on the SACD, but I don't see how ECM discs will benefit from a red book remaster.

10. Lucidae

A/D converters have come a long way in the past 30 years.

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

True, but while I've not heard every ECM release, I've certainly never heard a bad one. For example, I have Koln Concert, and it sounds great. I'd need some convincing that it's even better.

Roberto899 and SteelyTom like this.
  12. Setsuko

Setsuko New Member

13. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

A Koln SACD is gonna make someone a lot of money.... hopefully Keith.

14. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

It would be useful for you to complete your information page regarding your system to better understand your point of view.
    If I simply cant find it I apologise in advance.

15. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

So what is this one on Amazon.ca Dennis? SACD or UHQCD. Price seems in line with what CD Japan has the SACD listed for but I can't figure it out!

16. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I've never heard of an SACD being exclusive to one store before. Are you sure about this?

And if this is true, is there some way to display an English version of their website for those of us who don't want to miss this?

17. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I find that many ECM CDs of 1970's and 80's albums (analogue recordings), which were all released in the mid to late 80's, sound rather dull and distant compared to the original LP pressings.

So I think it would be worth remastering them. The most logical step would be to release hi-rez downloads, which so far only happened with 20 or so vintage ECM albums (Keith Jarrett, John Abercrombie, etc).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Tower Japan issued such exclusive cds (i.e. not availabl e from other japanese stores) expecially in classical music. Sometime it was possible to order directly from them, but soon after they cancelled their international shipping option. I always order them as special service through cdjapan.

19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

There are Tower Japan classical SACD releases which are exclusive to the store.

This means they are not available from CDJapan (usually the cheapest option, given shipping costs) or Amazon Japan. But they are available as (very expensive) imports outside Japan (Amazon.com, .fr, etc)

Here's one example: HRAudio.net - Mahler: Symphony No. 9 - Carlo Maria Giulini

SteelyTom likes this.
  20. Setsuko

Setsuko New Member

Chick Corea "Return to Forever"
    Return to Forever [Limited Edition] Chick Corea CD Album

They give no indication that it is a SACD. However, the date and price information matches those of SACD. Please confirm it by yourself when you place your own order.

21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Koln in a DSD-remastered SACD is awfully, awfully tempting.

Looking forward to reviews.

22. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The engineer for the DSD mastering has also been involved in the mastering of some other ECM releases and re-releases.

I assume these ones will make it to PCM high res downloads as well (Koln already has a high res release), so maybe the attractiveness will depend on your affinity to disc and DSD.

SteelyTom likes this.
  23. Lucidae

Do we know who the engineer is, and what specifically they mastered in the past?

24. Cornholio

Cornholio Are you threatening me?

I'd kill (well, almost) for Pat Metheny Group - First Circle on SACD or hi-res download!

25. Setsuko

Setsuko New Member

SteelyTom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.