Ed Sullivan Rock 'n' Roll Classics DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

I just saw the Rhino press release for this 9-disc DVD set of music performances from The Ed Sullivan Show to be released in September. It appears to be a jaw dropper, content-wise. Hopefully the "rhinophonic" sound will not be as odd as their release of "The Rutles". I wonder what they have to work with for their "5.1 Audio" mixes. I am even more geeked for this than for the Hard Day's Night DVD from Miramax.

Regards,

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I have the Time-Life 13 DVD set of this stuff. The sound and picture are great considering these clips are 30+ years old.

As to the 5.1....on the Time-Life there's an intro to each clip with a narration. I'll assume that where the 5.1 bit will come in. The Time-Life's mention nothing about 5.1. It's all mono (of course) except the narration.

Don't ask for a track comparison. I am too lazy.

I love advertising, Rhino: FOR THE FIRST TIME ANYWHERE !!!!

Truth: FOR THE FIRST TIME ON RHINO !!!!

Mud-

3. I have the VHS version of this series, and it is fun to watch. Keep in mind that some songs are 100% lip synced and some have live singing to prerecorded music tracks. This series has the infamous “Light My Fire” by the Doors. It also has a live version of The Jefferson Airplane doing “Crown of Creation” which is fun. It also has some great James Brown songs. All in all, it is fun to watch.

4. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Ken,

Looks like a lot of great music!!

Does anyone know what sort of equipment they were using to record the music in different eras. Were any shows done on multitrack? 5.1 might have a bit of a problem.

5. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

>>>>>>Yea, but I noticed something that doesnt thrill me......they have duplicated songs on different volumes!!!

"She Loves You" appears on Disk 6 AND Disk 9!!
    "I Wanna hold Your Hand" appears on Disk 7 AND Disk 9!!
    Ditto for Henry The 8th , I am.

That SUCKs...why didnt they use DIFFERENT performances??

6. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I noticed that too. Are you saying it's the same performance? If so that does suck. But if it's the same song performed on a different night, I can live with that (as it's the Beatles)

7. You are correct, they did use the same song on a few different volumes. Each volumn had a theme to it. I think thay they duplicated some songs just to fill out a theme.

8. RetroSmith

>>>>John, you make a good point, BUT they HAD tons of different Beatles performances (i have them ALL on VHS).

Theres no reason in the whole wide world why they had to dupe songs.

I'm gonna write Rhino about this, and tell them I'm really pissed. That is just a rip off. What could possibly justify this?

9. Mikey,

Hold on, hold on, hold on!!!

This series was originally put together by TimeLife on VHS. I think that Rhino only remastered it to DVD. They have nothing to do with the content.

Keep in mind, that TimeLife offeres this series for purchase in two ways: You can pick and choose and only buy the volumnes that you find interesting, or you could buy the entire series.

If you are upset about the duplicate songs, you should write TimeLife and not Rhino.

Just my two cents.

John

10. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Why write Time-Life? If Rhino has licensed these writing to T-L will do no good.

My .02

Mud-

11. Fabfourever

Fabfourever New Member

In the DVD "The Beatles' First Visit To America" they show all or most of the Beatles' Ed Sullivan appearances over the course of three shows, and "She Loves You" is shown twice, though they are different performances. I am assuming that's what Rhino is doing with the upcoming DVD's, so they are not duplicating the Beatles segments.

Chuck

12. Ken_McAlinden

Whether they are doubling some performances or not, the whole set is available for $170 MSRP, and it should be easy to find it for $40 or more less than that from discounters. That's less than the same stuff from Time Life and if anything, appears to have more content per volume than their series did. I find it difficult to be upset. Subtract the clips that may be repeated and it still looks like a reasonable purchase to me.

Regard,

13. Fabfourever

Fabfourever New Member

Yeah, it's definitely a good price, considering the acts that were on the show. Worth it alone just for The Beatles!;)

14. RetroSmith

>>>>>>There are only 4 Beatles songs in the whole collection. "Hold Your hand" "She Loves You", " From Me To You" and "Twist and Shout".

Hardly worth 170$.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Mikey,
    I read the winking smiley as the previous poster recognizing the hyperbole inherent in the statement that the whole cost of the set was worth it for the four Beatles clips. In any case, unless they do something horrible, it still looks like a good deal of nostalgia for the money.

Regards,

16. RetroSmith

>>>>Yea, I guess. I'll be happy if the video quality is there. It *should* be, as every Ed Sullivan show from 1952 or so was filmed, then videotaped on Quad. My neighbor was a cameraman on the show in the 1960s. He says that the old tube color cameras pre 1966 actually made a truer color picture than the solid state cams that replaced them. But they used a lot less power and needed virtually no maintenance after they were calibrated.

17. Fabfourever

Fabfourever New Member

Mikey, I was being facetious. On another note, are you sure of those four Beatles songs you just mentioned? If that is all the Beatles material that is going to be on the Sullivan discs then they can't rightfully state that they are complete (if indeed they are doing so), as The Beatles performed more songs than just those four on the Sulllivan series.

Chuck

18. RetroSmith

>>>Well, Chuck, looks like I missed one, "All My Loving".

But its STILL not complete, as The Beatles performed "Till there Was You" "I Saw Her Standing There" "This Boy" and others on their second appearance. Why didnt they have a "Beatles Disk" with all The Beatles songs done on the show? It would have sold GREAT!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.