EdSullivan.com Cease & Desist Order from Apple

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GuyDon, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member Thread Starter

As reported at Steve Marinucci's Abbeyrd.com site. Not very good news for all of us who ordered. Hopefully a few will slip out.

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/fabnews.htm

Update (1/18/03)
    From Steve Shorten of the 910:

Steve:

Just got word: Andrew Solt Productions has gotten the "cease-and-desist" order on releasing the uncut Sullivan shows.

Not only did Apple demand the cease, but every performer and agency involved in the original broadcasts has apparently come out of the closet demanding a piece of the pie -- I've heard specifically Davy Jones and the pharmaceutical company that manufactures "Anacin" (they were an original sponsor and their commercial appears in the uncut telecasts).

There is a *marginal* chance that some of the discs actually shipped, but most likely most of the orders will never be fulfilled and the credit cards charges will be refunded.

In addition, I'm advised that the initial run of discs did have a minor manufacturing problem involving the DVD menus.

More news: I just got off the phone with the folks who actually ship the product. According to them, my package actually shipped out this morning and I should receive it via UPS Ground on 1/28. The fulfillment house has yet to hear of the cease-and-desist from Solt Productions, so the good news is they're still shipping product as if nothing has happened.

Those who wish to contact the fulfillment house should call 1-615-449-8877 or e-mail [email protected].

Oh, and don't say I didn't warn you this was going to happen ;)

One further note, the fulfillment folks are *not* actually giving out UPS tracking numbers. However, what I was told was my customer ID number and to call back if the package hadn't arrived by 1/28 -- the eighth business day counting the ship date as day one. Now, since I was also told that the package went out this morning via UPS Ground, and UPS says that the transit time for UPS Ground between Nashville and my location (New Jersey) is two days, then I *should* see this thing on Monday. I hope.

Oh, and just FYI, I received this info via someone who wishes to remain anonymous who heard the info directly from an insider at Sofa Entertainment... And apparently, even if Apple had left well enough alone, the complaints from Anacin and Davy Jones would have been enough to cause major (you'll pardon the joke) headaches.

All things considered, I think this is going to turn out to be the 21st Century version of the John Lennon "Roots" album.

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This is a shame.

3. GuyDon

As long as a few slip out, I am sure it will be bootlegged as the originals will be going for astronomical amounts on eBay.

4. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Knowing the way Apple is, this is not surprising at all.

Damn!

5. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Now, what claim does Apple have over The Ed Sullivan Show?

When you appeared on ES, you signed a waiver that stipulated that the shows became the Property of Sullivans production company.

I wonder if Apple only THINKs they own those. Those arent EMI recordings.

6. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

7. GuyDon

Both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones own the rights to their complete performances on the Ed Sullivan show. Both organizations purchased these rights in the early 90's.

What is known is that Andrew Solt Productions does retain the rights to use edited clips on video/dvd and television specials. What is unknown, but I am sure we will find out very soon, is whether Solt has the rights to use (or market) the complete performances. My guess is that they do not have this right and thus we have the cease and desist order.

To be honest, I really did not think it would come to this owing to the good relationship Solt has with Apple and especially Yoko. However, with Apple's past track record, nothing is ever out of the question when it comes to lawsuits.

8. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

I also just got a mail from them saying 'there had been a problem with the DVDs but that was sorted and they would be shipping from Monday'... guess we'll have to wait and see.

9. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, not to repeat myself, but **wherever** there's a Beatle, there's a lawyer not far behind....

The statement about Davy Jones & the folks at Anacin being enough to gum up the works is true enough, though... if you want to get even more specific, each musician or performer featured on the show (and its commercials) would need to sign off on the home video release before it could legally occur... that's why there is no such thing as "The Variety Show Network"... the clearances for this type of program are a NIGHTMARE!!

-Kevin

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I ordered the dvd on 1-3-03. They emailed a confirmation of my order and that was it. I haven't heard diddly since then. I hope mine can sneak through. I don't understand how these people can release a dvd of this magnitude without taking care of the legal issues first. What crap!!!!!!

11. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I ordered mine on Jan 1st. And I was charged on 1/15. So... my fingers are crossed. I just checked the Ed Sullivan website and there's no changes.

12. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

I just ordered one of each and received email confirmations.

It's All Too Much......

GM :confused:

13. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I don't know... I hear that Tessie O'Shea's agent is holding out for another $1,250.... that could kill the deal right there. :D

Seriously, though-- you can pretty well write these off-- everyone and their dog now has the whip hand over Andrew Solt in the negotiations. If ANYONE refuses to clear their appearance or performance, they'll either have to be edited out, or the release cannot proceed.

So, Solt either a) pays an exorbitant amount for the new clearances, or b) for an extensive editing/remastering of the shows (which destroys the integrity of the project, in my opinion-- and is an added production cost, in any event), or c) he eats the production and promotion costs for the entire project thus far.

It looks like c) is the cheapest way out, at this point.

-Kevin

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

One of each?:confused:

15. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

1 dvd
    1 vhs

Might be a collector's item someday......like next week!!!!!

GM :laugh:

16. Michael

Duh! Thanks...:laugh:

17. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I just checked with my credit card company and the charges were posted last week. That means I should see my DVD pretty soon, don't ya think? :)
    FYI, I ordered mine on Jan 2nd.

What do you think these will go for on Ebay if they indeed get shut down?

18. Michael

I believe this is a rumor and the DVD's will be readily available, all over eventually. Panic for nothing. I'm thinkin positive on this. All the dealers most likely bought tons in spec.

19. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I ordered mine on Jan. 8th....I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

20. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I was told mine had already shipped by UPS. I hope so.

21. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I ordered my DVDs on the web site December 28th, and other than a confirmation e-mail that day but haven't heard anyting else. If I get them I'm keeping them sealed until the legalities get sorted out.

If Apple is successfull in getting them stopped I'll see if I can get a few hundred dollars for them.

22. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I just picked up two copies tonight at Best Buy....one to keep and one to "share" <g>

dave

23. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Dave,
    Are you talking brick and mortar Best Buy? I can picture forum members all across the country waiting at the doors for the stores to open tomorrow morning.

24. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

Hmmmmmmm...it's not listed on their site Best Buy

GM :confused:

25. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Yep, this was my local "brick and mortar" Best Buy. I bought the only two they had on the shelf.

dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.