EdSullivan.com Cease & Desist Order from Apple

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GuyDon, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I watched three out of the four shows last night, and the set is really excellent. The only real problems I saw were some video tape flaws (kind of a wave effect) during the second show (Miami), probaby due to aging of the master tapes. I haven't been brave enough to listen to the "surround" sound mix...can't figure out how they could do that without totally messing things up, but unlike the A Hard Day's Night DVD's, we've got the original mono track to enjoy.

What I find interesting about watching these old Sullivan shows is the diversity of the acts they presented...and the rather bizarre pacing the show had. For example, on the first show, you have The Beatles performing three songs, right into...a guy doing card tricks. What a segue! And how'd you like to have been the guy who had to follow The Beatles with a card trick?
    :laugh:

Cab Calloway rocks on episode three, by the way. :cool:

I notice Neil Aspinall gets a "Thank You" credit at the end of each episode. Maybe they DO have everybody's permission for these.

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member Thread Starter

www.edsullivan.com

3. The 5.1 mix is not anything great, but not a botch either. It pans some of the applause and screaming to the rears, but luckily (at least on my system) doesn't negatively affect the clarity or tone of the music. Net/net; neither here nor there. I only listened to it in samples, so I'll acqueisce to anyone else who's scrutinized it, or until I listen a little more.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I got my DVD today. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing it. From now on I will take any information from that abbey road site with a huge grain of salt.

5. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

'recent events' are things that -actually happened-.
    They 'accurately reported' inaccurate information. Actually, it's false and a downright lie.
    'gossip' is not, and never will be, 'news'.

6. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I'm checking the front porch everyday in anticipation of their arrival.

7. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

They usually get privy to most Beatles stuff...

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I just watched the 1965 show. Beatles set was "I Feel Fine", "I'm Down", "Act Naturally" followed by the later set of "Ticket to Ride", "Yesterday" and "Help".

Wow! What a trip. First time I'd seen it since it was shown in '65. It was cool seeing the entire show, commercials and all. Quite a shock to remember how few commercials there used to be in an hour show.

I was a bit uncomfortable when Martin & Rossi did their "We Love You" song parody. Cilla Black looked really scared! I forgot about the Soupy Sales tune, "The Mouse". That actually got airplay here in CT.

As for the boys, some thoughts: it was facinating to watch Ringo drum, George was great on lead, John (of course) blew the middle verse lyric on Help, Paul started I'm Down with the second verse first, they looked great and sounded great. I got a bit of a chill hearing "Yesterday", as it was the first time it was heard in the US (I think).

It was SO nice to hear the actual music, not a lip-sync to a record. This is the way music archives should be.

It was great! Can't wait to watch the other three.

If you are the LEAST bit interested, GET IT. GET IT NOW!! :D :D

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm droolin now....:laugh:

11. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I want my DVD's! I want my DVD's! From a re-delivery date of January 21st to the 27th. I want my DVD's!

12. nivek29

nivek29 New Member

is the 1965 show in color? i thought sullivan was color by 65...or did he go color in 66?

13. nivek29

nivek29 New Member

14. At the end of the last Beatle show in Sep 65, Ed Sullivan states that his NEXT week's show, which was going to come from LA, would be his first in color!! I guess the Fab Four were enough of a draw, and that the color broadcasts would be his new draw starting the following week.

15. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I received my DVDs today in the mail; I had ordered the set on December 28th. I've been reading about people paying $9.95 for shipping. I only paid $4.95. Did anyone else get to pay the lesser amount for shipping as I did?

16. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

David, I ordered mine the same day as you and received them on Thursday as well. I also paid $4.95 for shipping. According to an email confirmation of my order, my DVDs were shipped on Jan. 15 and arrived on January 23rd.
    That seems like an unusally long time for UPS but now that they are here, I am very happy. These things are awesome! I loved the '65 show--check out the extended intro on "Ticket To Ride". The camera catches a double image that features John's profile just smiling away as he plays. Paul gives him the "NOW!" nod just before John leans in with "Think I'm gonna be sad...I think it's today....Yeah!" Very cool!

17. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

If you ordered over the phone, you got to pay $9.95 for shipping, but supposedly this included expedited shipping which was supposed to have the order to your door within 4 days.
    I was taken aback by this outrageous shipping charge (for a 2 dvd set! ya gotta be kiddin'!) so I told the operator I'd check the web info, and if they were the same, I'd call him back. The web had shipping @$4.95. I took that instead (and I -still- think that's kinda high!). I sell DVD's occasionally on the web and I'd never charge that much, unless someone bought, say, about 10 of 'em.

18. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I ordered mine last Sunday Jan. 19th and was charged the $9.95 shipping and I still haven't got 'em! 3 to 4 days is what I was promised for that crazy high shipping price! Burn me once, and I don't ever forget the NEXT time I order!!!

19. Bill

Bill Senior Member

The September 1965 Sullivan show was definitely in color. I remember being amazed at the quality of our newly-purchased set. Bonanza was impressive but...jeez- Ticket to Ride! Could technology get any more advanced?
    Then came Quad!
    Is the DVD in color?

20. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

No, it is in BW.

:-jon

21. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Well, if we're to believe Mr. Sullivan himself at the end of the Beatles appearace, the show's first color broadcast was the following week, meaning that the Beatles never appeared live in color on the Sullivan show (though their pre-tape of "Paperback Writer" and "Rain" the following year was in color). In fact, I made a comment to my wife after watching the DVD that "Oh, so The Beatles weren't good enough for the color broadcast?"

22. GuyDon

The group recorded their performance mid August when they were in the States for their tour. I believe they taped it around the time of the Shea Stadium concert. The show was filmed and broadcast in black and white.

23. GuyDon

24. Bill,
    I posted JUST before you that, indeed, the September Beatles show was definitely NOT in color, and we have documented proof: Ed himself fills us in on the color issue at the close of that show (color was the following week). Check any Ed Sullivan archive or museum site for the episode lists. The 1st color show was AFTER the Beatles. Did you think I was lying and that I hadn't really seen the dvd's? I wouldn't do that......you're not my wife....:>)

25. I reality, the Beatles only appeared live at the Ed Sullivan theater once, the Feb 9th 8pm show. All the others were either taped (Feb 23 was taped earlier in the day on the 9th; Sep 65 show was taped in August, around the Shea date) or remote sat (hotel live on Feb 16, 64). After that, music video tapes were flown in for the 67, 69 and 70 "appearances" (not sure of the dates; their on most Ed museum sites). Anyway, they fooled me back then; I thought they were all live. I have to go to therapy now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.