Egor (band) / "Street" / Downer Rock Genocide comp

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BEAThoven, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was hoping someone around these parts could help me out...

A few years ago, I snagged a comp called "Downer Rock Genocide," and was introduced to a 1971 track called "Street" by the band Egor. I've been trying to find out some more info on the band, but haven't had any luck. The notes with the CD say only that the band opened for Black Sabbath early on.

Here's the track from that comp:

http://youtu.be/cFB8-Q4dJ0I

bzfgt likes this.
  2. Nick Diss

Nick Diss New Member

Hey There,

Someone just passed me this and i see its quite a few years old, but i can tell you anything you want to know about Egor !!....My name is Nick Diss and i am the drummer who formed Egor with Mike Foster on Bass, Eric Taylor guitar, and John Flite vocals and harmonica, we formed around 69/70 in East London in the UK , I was 20 years years old when we recorded that track, Mike was about 24, John was in his early thirties and Eric that brilliant guitarist was 16 !!!.

We played all over London and the south east of England and we had a three night a week residency in a pub called the Plough and harrow in Leytonstone east London, one night a guy came up to us and asked if he could record us live in the pub for a record of local bands that he wanted to make, we said yes and the following week he came back stuck a single mike above us and recorded our set as we played, a few weeks later he came back with disc of the album for each of the band members and that was the last we heard of it.

Somehow the compilation album surfaced as a CD in the US about ten years ago....???

I am still in touch with Mike who now lives in Thailand and plays in T2 another well known band from the same era, John died from a heart attack in his fifties ( he wasn't known as fat John for nothing ) and Eric vanished without trace , all efforts to track him down over the years have been in vain ( he was very fond of LSD so i assume he became another acid victim and probably died young.

I am still playing in various bands, most recently a sixties style instrumental surf band called the Exterminators, but really my job takes me all over the world constantly ( i am a film editor ) so i don't get as much time as i would like to play......any more info you need please feel free to ask, Oh and somehow a rumour started on various forums that we once supported Black Sabbath....NOT TRUE... we did play on the same circuit as them but the band we supported who where just as well known as Sabbath at the time where called Black Widow, And finally i have seen various articles written about us over the years crediting us with being one of the bands who started heavy metal, but we considered ourselves a heavy blues band....make of that what you will.

hope this helps,

Best Nick.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  3. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, thank you very much, Nick! And... better late than never.

I, of course, didn't hear the track until way into the 21st century, but retroactively, it sounds to me like a perfect mixture of Iggy/Stooges simplicity mixed with the burgeoning heavier stoner-rock sounds of the early '70s. I was floored when I first heard it...

What's that scratchy "siren"-like sound right at the start of the track?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.