Eico HF 87

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Has anyone heard this amp? Any opinions on Eico tube power amps in general?

2. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Not pretty.
    Nice iron.
    Good sound.
    Weirdly, the company is still in buisness as a publicly traded company--doing what I can't figure out. Jeff

3. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Apparently with about two or three people on staff - sounds like Apple Corp. to me. (oops wrong section :) )

4. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Funny thing I've been thinking about building a clone of this amp for some time. I have some Magnequest Push-Pull transformers (which is a pretty good quality transformer for a current make) and purchased some EL34's. When I'll ever get around to it I don't know.

Can't say I've heard one, but many technicians like the "long tailed pair" phase splitter as opposed to the Dynaco ST-70's "cathodyne" phase splitter. (Not meaning to stir up trouble with the Dynaco crowd)

Also some Eico amps (I don't know which models) came with Acrosound ouput transformers which is a very good transformer.

There is an Eico Group where these amps are discussed in detail in Yahoo Groups.

Don't know if you've seen this page but there a lot of interesting info on Eico amps here:

http://users.rcn.com/fiddler.interport/eico.htm

5. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

What got me thinking about the Eico HF 87 was that Kara Chaffee of deHavilland told me "this is a vintage amplifier that sounds wonderful right out of the box and the circuit is very good and very simple".

6. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Top Rated Eiko Stuff:
    ST-70 integrated amp
    HF85 Pre-amp
    ST-97 Pre-Amp
    HF-87 amp
    HF-89 amp

Valuable Eico stuff
    HF-50 amp
    HF-60 amp
    HF-86
    HF-81
    HF-86K
    HF-87A 70 watts $200-$600
    HF-87K 70 watts $200-$600
    HF-89A most valuable Eico item

7. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Hi Syd,

I hope Cambridgeshire is treating you well.
    I was staring at your post for a while and then it dawned on me, oh, you mean, that Apple!
    In any event, Eico even occasionally trades and there is a substantial amount of money (for its market capitalisation) in the kitty. To me, it looks like either a shell company being primed for an rto and/or a vehicle set up for money laundering. All very odd. I looked at the bid and ask and trading, as it were, is by apointment only. The strange thing is, it's not cheap to keep a company public if it doesn't actually make any money or have many shareholders. All very odd. I'll look at Apple on Tuesday. (I didn't know it was public.) It's Thanksgiving here on Monday. Jeff

8. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I have and Eico 40 and it's purty good! Needs some new 7591' s though. Those self-biasing amps can really be tricky on tubes after a while if they are not matched upon insertion.

Who else has got one?

9. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Eico ST-40

I had the EICO ST-40 from about 1977 till 1998. It had developed a hum and i had already bought a new amp with Dolby Digital. I sure wish I had that EICO now.

I'm planning on re-obtaining one next year. It did sound great when it had no hum. Had a Garrard Type A and Electrovoice speakers. My uncle put this whole system together in 1961 and gave it me 17 years later .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.