Electric guitarists, what amplifier do you use? Photos, please!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I've had this for about 2 years and really like it. I don't think it did as well as Marshall would have like as it's not a 2 channel amp and needs to be cranked, hence the attenuator. I love KT66's. :)

I'm looking at getting another amp at some point, not a Marshall. I'm thinking of getting a Matamp of some sort.

paulbright81 and rebellovw like this.
  2. Andy Boyd

Andy Boyd Forum Resident

I had one of these back in the days when I worked in a music store, as a lighter replacement for my 1970 Sunn Solarus 2x12 combo (with EV SROs). The Sunn was a bear to get in and out of the back of car for practices or gigs, but the Musicman 210 sixty-five always sounded dead to me. I was never happy with any sounds I could get out of it, plus or minus pedals, with any pickups (strat, P90s, humbuckers). It is the only piece I didn't miss when it was stolen along with my '58 Gibson ES-330, 1965 Fender Strat, and a Nakamichi 550 cassette deck. On the plus side (?), the disappointment of that amplifier started me on my tone quest that lead to purchases of a '80s Fender Super Champ (now w/10" Tone Tubby), '64 Vox AC-50 (head), '63 Vox AC-30 (sold it, what a mistake), '70 Marshall Super Tremolo, reissue Marshall Bluesbreaker (re-originalified by "Toneman" Don Butler), '57 tweed Fender Tremolux (w/15" Jensen), the Siegmund Midnight Special pictured here (post #8 this thread) and... a replacement Sunn Solarus (head only, again sold it, what a mistake!). I'd probably sell any of these EXCEPT the Siegmund.

3. erasmus

erasmus Forum Resident

It can sound fantastic but is very temperamental. I also use a Fender Twin which I prefer and sounds much better most of the time.

4. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

DSCN2142.png
    My main amp is a '66 Fender Vibrolux Reverb. I took the speakers out and replaced them with Celestion G10 Greenbacks, which are relatively inefficient compared to most Celestions. I love the growl of the Greenback when it starts to compress.

What's nice about this amp with those speakers is that it gives me power tube overdrive at the perfect volume when the volume control is dimed. Loud enough to compete with a drumset, but still quiet enough to not piss off a sound guy at a show. I love the way 6L6 tubes overdrive, nothing beats it.

I also have a Vox AC15C1 as a practice amp. I took the Greenback speaker out and replaced it with a Celestion Blue. It's stupid loud but nothing else can replicate the smoothness of Vox overdrive and the creamy Alinco compression of the Blue.

IMG_1882.png

bluesky, rebellovw, 56GoldTop and 7 others like this.
  5. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

My amp, Warwick BC40, 40 watt with a 10" and a 2" horn. Except for the blindingly bright blue LED, which I have covered with red tape, I have no complaints about my amp. I like it better than the comparably priced Ampeg and Fender combos I tried at the local store. Probably all I'll ever need. And, it goes to twelve!
    bass and amp 003.JPG

6. gasycris14

gasycris14 New Member

Mr. Misterdecibel , I would like to know , how much it would cost to build a replica of vox AC15 , only the chassis and the electronics and then send it to me to Argentina . Best Regards Gaston
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

rebellovw likes this.
  7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I have one of those much maligned 135 watt Fender Twins from about 1977 IIRC, still all point to point. Blew the stock speakers the first day I bought it. Put in some old Peavey's I had laying around with some massive alnico magnets on em, been churning out some seriously great crunch for almost 40 years now. That thing gets SERIOUSLY loud for it's size.

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I still haven't finished this one, I could not in good conscience accept an order to make one. First of all, I don't even know if this one will work, secondly I work very slowly, and finally there is so much tedious labor involved that the price I would have to charge would be too high.

These guys make a pretty reasonable replica: http://www.jmiamplification.com/

9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

[​IMG]

From a few weeks ago. Paid my son a visit to assist with troubleshooting a friend's amp. I have to say I was a bit jealous of his collection of test gear.

misterdecibel and Bolero like this.
  10. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Non-verb Princetons are fantastic amps. They take pedals much better than Princeton Reverbs (one less gain stage). It's the amp I use for ultra low volume situations.

Bolero likes this.
  11. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

I agree, princetons are great

this is a princeton circuit with 6L6's...has verb & trem though.

[​IMG]

..and here is a clip! not me playing though....the guy is great!

https://soundcloud.com/roofleaks/clipb

it's funny at the end:

"man, I LOVE the way that thing sounds, what are you playing through?"

" it's a uh..uh..Vibro Pig? "

lol. very rare and obscure Fender amp ;)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  12. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

this is probably my favourite amp: late '66 or early '67 jtm100 super PA.

they made the 100w PA heads before any of the 100w guitar amps, so this may be one of the early ones. it's also only got a British 220v tap power transformer

who knows what stories it can tell? it would have been built when Hendrix, Cream, The Who ( and who else?? ) were pioneering the Marshall stack

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  13. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Last studio session:

[​IMG]

Self-built Marshall JTM "45/50" head (a JTM 45 with a 50W output transformer running EL34s, think JTM50)
    Marshall stereo cab (converted to 8 ohm mono with a quad of original G12-65s)
    Legend Super Lead 100 head
    my beloved '68 Fender Twin Rev (black-faced with Altec Lansing 417B speakers; beastly heavy... dolly required)

Artsy shot of the same by my daughter:

[​IMG]

14. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Posted before but I don't think it was in this thread. :) This is the Hot Rod Deluxe III. I wanted good clean tones but also wanted to have crazy volume without the price of a tweed/Deluxe/Twin etc. I also have a little Orange Crush 20 watt that's a lot of fun.

[​IMG]

bluesky, martini, rebellovw and 6 others like this.
  15. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Beautiful strat. Reminds me of mine.

thxphotog likes this.
  16. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

I play through a Line6 Spider II 112, purchased back in 2003 or 2004. It was my first real serious amp. I was in a band playing a lot of covers, and chose it because I could get a TON of different sounds out it without spending all my (minimum wage at CVS) paycheck on pedals. I'd love to get a small tube amp, maybe a VOX, someday in the future.

17. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

What a great thread. How I miss my old Fender Vibro Champ amp and Hagstrom III! I was 13 (late 1967) and thought I was really hot stuff with that setup. Our band could play, sort of, Gloria, Little Black Egg and Satisfaction. Three guitars and a drummer. Laughable. Some parents can be very patient. I know I try to be.

Bolero and thxphotog like this.
  18. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I just love my BadCat Cub 3 - beautiful tone.
    [​IMG]

Bolero likes this.
  19. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

I miss my Showman 15 (one speaker) with the tone ring (I think it was around 1968) - one of the better sounding amps I have owned - that's me on the left, with my Gibson L-5 CES sharp cutaway, plugged into a Mosrite Fuzzrite. You can just make out my Firebird V leaning against the amp. Check out the PA speakers!!

[​IMG]

20. Boulder Bob

here's my late 90s Dual Professional with my '65 Jazzmaster. The Dual Pro came out right around the same time as the Vibro King. It's kind of like a blond Twin with an outboard Reverb built into the amp. No circuit boards, it's built like a 60s Fender. I didn't like the V30s it came with. Right now it has one EVM 12 and one Ted Weber clone of a D120F. The Dual Pro has hundreds of gigs on it. Been a great amp. Bias modulating tremolo. Really loud. And heavy. The Boogie and Deluxe are both gone...

[​IMG]

21. gasycris14

gasycris14 New Member

dear sir Misterdecibel..me wonder if you could build me a replica of a vox AC15 twin as you realize , but only with the electronic chassis , because here in Argentina is very difficult to get Transformadors output quality valves ..muchas thanks

22. gasycris14

gasycris14 New Member

I want a replica as the one you are building vox AC15 twin 1961, but I would also like to know if possible to make a replica of vox ac30 / 6 TB and what would be the cost of both amplifiers. thank you very much.. Best regards

23. gasycris14

gasycris14 New Member

24. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

http://instagram.com/p/Q5Z7KwmlJK/?modal=true

Marshall Vintage Modern with KT66 Tubes...too loud to be a bedroom amp which it currently is. They have already stopped making these. Its a one channel amp that was marketed as taking you back to the days before channel switching. I have always used my guitars pick up selectors and volume and tone controls to switch between sounds so I love it. I usually have it through Tubescreamer...

My Instagram is the only pick I have handy sorry for the link..

Bolero likes this.
  25. Boulder Bob

link didn't work for me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.