Electric guitarists, what amplifier do you use? Photos, please!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

One of the best tones I've ever got was out of an old beat up early Champ. Mind boggling.

2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

One of the best tones I've ever got was out of an old beat up early Champ. Mind boggling.

3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

4. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

The Marshall I posted in this thread got sold a while ago. I bought a Hi-Tone amp from the States late last year. It's a Hiwatt clone based of Page's amp, switchable 15/30 watt, I got all of the nos options with it . Dave Reeves' son is involved with the company, they were great to deal with getting the amp shipped down here, it weighs a tonne.

It's a fantastic amp, I use Fuzz pedals quite a bit and it's a great platform for them. Lovely tone, straight or with Fuzz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

56GoldTop and Bolero like this.
  5. Lord Summerisle

The Marshall I posted in this thread got sold a while ago. I bought a Hi-Tone amp from the States late last year. It's a Hiwatt clone based of Page's amp, switchable 15/30 watt, I got all of the nos options with it . Dave Reeves' son is involved with the company, they were great to deal with getting the amp shipped down here, it weighs a tonne.

It's a fantastic amp, I use Fuzz pedals quite a bit and it's a great platform for them. Lovely tone, straight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

wow that thing is pretty cool!! actually very cool! never seen one before

I had a '70's DR504 w/4x12 I sold a while ago, it sounded glorious but was too bloody loud

that 30w amp looks like just the ticket

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  7. Lord Summerisle

Thanks, it is a really nice amp. I always played Marshalls and wanted something different, I took a punt on this buying it from overseas but after owning it a year and being over the honeymoon period I still love it. Their DR-F speaker makes a massive difference aswell.

Here's their site.

http://www.hi-tone-amps.com/

Bolero likes this.
  8. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident

I have one of these on my bedside table. I love it.

RDriftwood likes this.
  9. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I picked this up in the late 80's but this would be approximately a 1972 Orange GRO 100

it's heavy

:)

56GoldTop, PhilBiker, nitsuj and 4 others like this.
  10. Lord Summerisle

:love:

PhilBiker and SpinningInfinity like this.
  11. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

one of the smarter things I bought in my late teens. I still own it and it sounds just like you'd imagine. When I first got it, I wanted to open her up bit, I didn't normally have band practice at my place. I cranked it up about half way and a neighbor from across the street I'd never met ran over freaking out....I guess she'd just put her baby down for a nap. I love the symbols on the amp face.. The fist, cleary you can summon lightening with the other input...and possibly even destroy mountains!
    ;)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    thxphotog likes this.
  12. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Very nice amp.
    Orange have released a really great book all about their history. It's got 2 main parts (flipbook style), building the brand and The Book of Orange. A really interesting read. highly recommended.

SpinningInfinity likes this.
  13. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This is my 1972 Sound City/Dallas Arbiter Concord combo.

It was bought new by a guy who played occasional pedal steel at home. It now stays at home with me.
    I bought it around 2 years ago and had it fully overhauled by an expert.

It has a really nice bright clean tone with a reverb to die for. Perfect for the kind of stuff I play.
    It runs on 2x EL34 power valves, 3x ECC83 and 2x ECC81 Pre-amp valves.
    It also has those beautiful Partridge Transformers and Sound City speakers.

14. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Marshall all the way now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

56GoldTop likes this.
  15. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

It's nothing really special, but I love my Carvin Legacy. It doesn't do metal, but it does hard rock in spades.

[​IMG]

16. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Posted before; but, pics got moved. Better detail this time around. Marshall JTM45 clone, Sozo caps, in a large head cab with a "twist" (50W OT and EL34s). I'm not exactly sure why I didn't go for carbon comps in this amp, as I generally prefer them (I run them in my "crunch" amp: a rebuilt '76 JMP50) . At any rate, plugging into channel II, with a tube driver in front, yields some very sweet lead tone, indeed.

Somewhere near the beginning:

[​IMG]

Somewhere near the ending:

[​IMG]

Reason:

The bottom cab is fed by the '76 (hidden behind the stack) and will be redone to match the top cab one of these days.

[​IMG]

Atmospheric, GreatTone and GuildX700 like this.
  17. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

35 years later and I'm still using my late 70's Fender Twin Reverb.

It's the oft hated high power 130 watt model. Still all point to point wiring, massive transformers, very heavy for it's size.

Yes it will comb your hair, boy live it's just too loud for most situations, but this thing oddly enough records really nice with 2 mics just slightly angled from each 12". Recordings turn out with wonderful clarity, crunch, and sustain.

I blew the stock speakers the first day. I was bummed. But....I had an old Peavey stack 6x12" with 2 blown speakers, I pulled 2 of the best 12's out of that and the rest was history. Old, alnico magnet speakers with aluminum voice coils and vented center caps, they can take any amount of wattage you throw at them.

56GoldTop and PhilBiker like this.
  18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

My kitten blew up my Marshall 18-watt clone.

It has an on-off switch that takes very little effort, and it looks like he managed to switch it on whilst playing on to of the amp. I don't know how many hours or days it sat there baking before it failed. I discovered it when I tried to use the amp but discovered that it was already switched on but not lit up. The slo-blo line fuse was blown. I pulled out and replaced the output and rectifier tubes, put in a new fuse, and the fuse popped in about three seconds. So I'm guessing one of the transformers is blown. I haven't pulled it apart yet.

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Wow. Sorry to hear that! I hope you can get it repaired with little difficulty and cost!

20. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

I use my Fender Super Champ X2 head the most .. through an old Music Man 12" speaker.

Easy to carry, loud (for 15 tube watts), and has a great tone.

21. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

I'm not a guitarist, but went through the thread to see if there were any PRS guitars in pics :(

Not a guitarist, but like the look of them.

Some nice amps pictured though :)

22. ChrisScooter1

ChrisScooter1 Forum Resident

I had an almost identical 86 fiesta strat as well. Loved that guitar. Had it refretted and put Fralins in it. Let it go after I got my Grosh RC.

GreatTone likes this.
  23. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

1996 Jcm 900 SLX 2100, 100w all tube, I'll never part with this Bad Boy!!

[​IMG]

thxphotog likes this.
  24. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

No pics at the moment, but I'm using an original '65 Fender Princeton (non reverb) and a Vox AC-4 Handwired in stereo, through a Neunaber Stereo WET reverb.

Brudy likes this.
  25. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Very nice work. You've done this before!

56GoldTop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.