Electric guitarists, what amplifier do you use? Photos, please!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisScooter1

ChrisScooter1 Forum Resident

I've used a Dr. Z Prescription ES for over 6 years now. He no longer makes it as Mr. Paisley now uses the Z Wreck, but the Prescription was its forerunner.

Its a great combination of tweaked Fender and Vox chime in the clean mode, but kick in the "overdose" and run it through an old Marshall 4 x 12 cab, and it has one of the creamiest distortions around. Killer amp.

For smaller gigs (like my Beatles tribute) I use a Vox AC4, mic'd up and monitored through IEM's. I replaced the stock tubes with JJ's (ECC803S and EL84). Sounds like a Beatles record! :)

Attached Files:

rebellovw likes this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

And I use it for electric guitars, basses and six string basses. :)

3. Lonson

That's a nice looking amp set up!

4. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

This is my main amp: a '67 blackface Deluxe Reverb. It was completely stock and limping when I got it about 10 years ago. I rebuilt it, with new electrolytic caps and a few resistors/pots where needed. Replaced the nearly dead 6V6's with Sylvania NOS black plates, and added a Weber 12F150 that sounds much better than the original Oxford.

[​IMG]

Also this:

[​IMG]

I also have a mid-60s Gibson Hawk that is ridiculous looking, with the fake wood grain control panel. Uses two EL84s and a 10-inch speaker in a cheap, tall cab. It sounds great in a unique way, and has a nice reverb section. People laugh at it until they hear it. May as well add these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a custom shop Tele and an '86 Strat built shortly after Fender bought itself back from CBS. When I had the neck off to re-fret the Strat, I noticed the name "Ybarra" written inside...plus, the fiesta red paint is covered in the cracks you pay extra for nowadays, except they are real.

5. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

one of the greatest amps ever made

riknbkr330, HAmmer and GreatTone like this.
  6. ChrisScooter1

ChrisScooter1 Forum Resident

Thanks! I like it, too!

7. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

Mesa Express 5:50, the latest version. I just got this a few weeks ago, and it is replacing a first generation Lonestar 2x12 (which was *far* too much amp for me - though I still own it). This little guy packs a wallop too, as all Mesas do. The guitar is an Alembic.

2013-10-26 10.29.36.jpg

8. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

Tullman likes this.
  9. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

My first proper amp was a Roland Jazz Chorus, 50 watter I think it was. Loved that amp.

10. james

james Summon The Queen

I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Like it a lot, but I bet you already know exactly what it looks like.

I get to bring a bunch of PRS amps through my room. I'd really like a Sweet 16 to replace the DRRI at some point.

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I have a Marshall DSL40C and a Line6 Spyder 15W amp for practice. Also have one of those cool Honeytone mini amps for fun.

Anyone have a Fender Mustang IV modeling amp? They've been blowing the older model out recently.

12. Boulder Bob

my bandmate has a Mustang III - 100 watts, 1 x 12" Celestion - it doesn't have tube warmth bit in a gig situation it works well - and it's light!

JohnG likes this.
  13. Promo bluesman jr from Playtone

image.jpg

14. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

That "Ybarra" is for Abigail Ybarra who wound pickups for many of the legendary Fender Strat players like Clapton, SRV, Beck et al. She worked for Fender from the late-50's onward and retired this year.

http://www.fender.com/news/fender-custom-shop-celebrates-abigail-ybarras-retirement/

15. erasmus

erasmus Forum Resident

This Heavy Bast==d

original.jpeg

16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I've got one of the Cube 15s. Nice little practice amp. Sounds really good on the clean setting. The effects settings are pretty bad. You really need a couple of pedals for distortion and whatever.

17. Boulder Bob

great amp - I played in a band with a guy with a larger version - the distortion he got was "his sound" and he was very picky

18. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

1996 Fender Vibro King and 2009 Twin RI

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Abhijit Nath

Abhijit Nath Forum Resident

20. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I had a friend who was in a Beatles cover band that used a vintage AC-30. Never thought that bugger could be SO loud. The most impressive rig I ever saw was Eric Johnson's the first time I saw him in the 80's. Fender Tweeds, 60's era Marshalls. Throw in vintage Strats/Teles/Gibsons. Nirvana! Only thing that screwed everything up was a crap pedal board(the black one with silver foot pedals. Damn thing buzzed anytime more than 2 effects were used.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  21. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

[​IMG]

Orange: Tiny Terror Combo (2) / Morley: George Lynch Tripler / MXR: '74 Vintage Phase 90 / Lovepedal: Eternity / Analog.man: Juicer / Gretsch: 6120

bluesky, Donniej, rebellovw and 7 others like this.
  22. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

image.jpg

d.s.l. likes this.
  23. Boulder Bob

too beautiful for words....

can you a get a Project-O-Sonic set of pickups?

d.s.l. likes this.
  24. Lonson

Great gear, great presentation.

d.s.l. likes this.
  25. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

That would be cool :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.