Electric Light Orchestra - now's the time to complete your collection of remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark f., Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member Thread Starter

In another thread a few weeks ago someone observed that it seems the 2001 and 2006 ELO reissues are going out of print. On Amazon all of the main albums have list prices of $7.99 so it appears to be a good time to buy.

Just be careful with Out of the Blue because Sony replaced the remaster with the 80s version and no bonus tracks. The remaster is still around for good prices but you have to look.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0...ds=electric+light+orchestra&sprefix=electric+

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

3. mark f.

Yeah Mike, I don't know. Maybe they printed enough for the next 10 years or something?

4. JimC

JimC Senior Member

:wave:

Thanks for the info. I just ordered Eldorado, Face the Music, and On the Third Day. Great prices.

5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

How can one tell the difference between the re-master and the replacment/ reverted to '80s mastering? Bonus tracks?

6. mark f.

On Amazon it should say "Extra Tracks":

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Blue-Elec...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255214875&sr=1-4

The 2008 version is a repackage of the old mastering with no bonus tracks. Amazon does not stock the 2007 version though it can be bought new for under $7.

7. Generally speaking, how's the sound quality on these?

8. mark f.

I really like them. The only one that bothers me a bit is Out of the Blue. I've warmed to it as an alternate listen.

But for the rest I think they're very good and I think Face the Music is probably the best upgrade in the batch.

9. I have the Joe Gastwirt version (which is older) of 'Out Of The Blue' and love it.

I thought some of the later discs (reissued later albums w/ bonus tracks)
    were a bit astringent sounding by comparison.

10. mark f.

The Gastwirt's are underrated. I fought against this notion a couple of years ago but old forum member Juan Samus drove this point home until I finally realized he was right. The best Gastwirtz IMO are: OOTB, A New World Record, Eldorado and On the Third Day.

But that said I do like the remaster of A New World Record. Nothing compares to the original vinyl for that album but the remaster is not bad at all.

For $7.99 all of the remasters are worth getting. Nothing horrible about the sound and in some cases there are cool bonus tracks.

11. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

The first two are an amalgamated disaster.

Sony accepted a CD-R from EMI England of the UK mastering no-noised, compressed and all instead of the master tapes (or even good copy tapes) and went with that.

Predictable results.

Let 'em go out of print.

Japan did much better with their nice price series using real tapes.

melstapler likes this.
  12. mark f.

Yes. My comments are outside of those first two (No Answer and II).

13. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Does anyone know what happened to Juan Samus? I just noticed that he hasn't visited this site since last year.

14. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I'm wondering..is this Sony's Way of telling us that these ELO CD's are coming out in "Legacy" Editions? I hope so..to see these go OOP without something to replace them is kinda silly!:shake:

15. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I love my "On The Third Day" I bought back in '95...Gastwirt remaster.

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Picked up OTTD Gastwirt a few weeks back - lovely job with it. A very nice sounding release. The remasters I have are really good, I have OOTB and FTM, so it's a mix and match, these with a DADC Time as well.

17. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Anyone know how the 1998 UK OOTB digi-pak cd is? I ran across a used copy today for $6.99 but didn't bite as I have 7 copies on LP and the Gastwirt and remaster, and don't want something no-noised to death.

18. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Thanks for heads up. I still need "On the Third Day"...

19. mark f.

I just assumed that this is the Gastwirt. By the time it came out that mastering seemed to be standard. Doubt there's NR on it either way.

20. mark f.

No. I always wished I knew his real name... at least I assume that wasn't his real name. He was just too ornery for his own good sometimes, though he had good ears. As I said, to his credit he stuck with the ELO Gastwirts and I think he's mostly right about them.

21. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

22. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I had good luck with most of the remasters & it was cool to get the Bonus tracks , be curious to see what happens with 2010 .

23. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

I'm getting, from this thread, that some of the Gastwirt's are better & some of the re-masters are better.
    I'm not seeing which "OTTD" is better.
    BIG thanks!
    How are the bonus tracks for "OTTD"?
    (my fav ELO)

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

So I should sell the Gold Disc?

25. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

What is considered the best version of these? I have the original US CD (I think) of No Answer as well as The Harvest Years box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.