Electric Light Orchestra - Secret Messages as originally intended

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterpyser, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

I don't think the question is one of ownership; I believe it's more about the purpose for which they were created...Jeff, arguably, needed to put re-tread product on the market as leverage for another long-term (financially friendlier?) deal with Sony and his catalog...the Frontiers material, theoretically, allowed him to strike commercial deals (TV ads, film soundtracks) for the use of catalog material that excluded Sony. The MBS material was the money-maker for Jeff, LW simply a vanity project, and contract obligation that was easy to fulfill...he may indeed decide to release the subsequent material, at some point, but the motivation to do so isn't nearly as strong right now...

Scottb and Dave1965 like this.
  2. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I knew that JL couldn't read/write music, and was always curious about RT. We know that LC can read music. This seems to have been cleared up.

3. Scottb

Scottb Forum Resident

Yes that would be great but like you said with no announcement yet I don't see this one coming out this year. It's too bad as I think it would sell very well during the holiday season.

4. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

I'm not sure it has. No-one knows whether RT can read music, my guess is that he can but that's simply based on Bev's comment about him being the most dedicated in the band when it came to practising....something about locking himself away to learn another concerto. He couldn't learn to play classical works without reading music.

5. Tightrope

Tightrope New Member

I was fortunate enough to see the first night of the Hollywood Bowl concerts last year and it was easily teh greatest concert I have seen in my life!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2017
    Sammy Banderas likes this.
  6. mkriegsman

mkriegsman Member

Hi Michael...

I've had several working musician friends that don't read music and can play the classics flawlessly by ear.

One friend, Verne Langdon, a Grammy nominee, was famous for hearing a tune once - be it a movie score, a recorded song, anything, and yes, the classics - then sit down and play it note for note on the piano, organ, synth, you name it.

He was a prolific composer, too (who LOVED ELO!) and a lot of his original recordings can be found on Amazon (not a sales pitch! Just proof!).

Guys like Verne have "something" the rest of us don't.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of Richard having that special "something", too.

Best,
    Mk

Michaelpeth likes this.
  7. Michaelpeth

I find that utterly bizarre. I'm not doubting you one bit, but the ability to retain just a twenty or so bars of something as complex as a piano concerto is scary never mind learning the whole thing without having had the music to learn it from in the first place.

I'd be amazed if RT can do that though - surely someone would have made reference to it in the past. Not doubting he's a fabulous musician

mkriegsman likes this.
  8. Lou Ming

Lou Ming Forum Resident

I recall when the album was out here in America Jet ran an ad in the back of CREEM magazine warning about the bootleg LP versions. It was just a 1/16 page B +W ad, but I remember seeing it and wondering what the deal was.

ShardEnder likes this.
  9. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Accidentally found this 1991 Dutch TV performance of Kelly, Mik, and Hugh. Very interesting.

Lostchord likes this.
  10. Michaelpeth

It's like Vic Reeves Shooting Stars Pub singer. It's rank

11. Interesting, indeed...

TrekkiELO likes this.
  12. Lou Ming

Lou Ming Forum Resident

A thing like that could sour relations with your band-leader, I reckon!

13. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Can anyone translate into English what the emcee is saying before they start playing?

14. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

By then I would suspect that relations between Jeff and most of the classic line up were completely destroyed. By 1991 Jeff was not their band leader. These guys were fully capable of playing live without Jeff. When I hear Livin Thing, I think of Mik playing the beginning, not the violinists Jeff has had since then.

When I first saw this video, my thought was: Why didn't Jeff do this? This is as close as you would get to ELO unpluggled until the Bungalow performance 14 years later. Jeff, Richard, and a violinist and celloist. That would be very cool to watch!

15. FireOnHigh

FireOnHigh Well-Known Member

Is that supposed to be an insult?

16. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

No, simply as fact. Jeff has stated that on the public record over the years.

17. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting? Perhaps so. This is NOT good. Of course the musicians are all professionals and do a creditable job, but they are billed as Electric Light Orchestra for crissakes. Kelly should have been ashamed to do such a show. Of course Mik plays solidly as always, but this is a very bad attempt by the trio passing themselves of as ELO. Do folks still wonder why Jeff had issues with these guys?

As a side note: What happened to Kelly's hair? Looking at videos throughout the last few years of ELO...he went from the poofy afro to totally bald on top. Did he wear a toupee a few years prior to this or did he lose his hair VERY quickly? Ron

18. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

As I don't speak that language, I don't know how they were billed in the introduction. That is why I asked if someone could translate what the emcee said. Either way, I doubt that Kelly, Mik, or Hugh wrote the introduction for the emcee to read verbatim. I'm not assuming anything regarding a 5 minute broadcast from 26 years ago.

On the musical end, though, I thought they did a good job. Notice that this was before the age of laptops on concert stages. I'd need to watch this again to see if they were miming, but my initial impression was no. Kelly was in fine voice, and Hugh was not madly jumping around the stage.

19. smilin ed

smilin ed Forum Resident

What? The vocalist was Elton John?

Michaelpeth likes this.
  20. Paul Getsey

Paul Getsey Active Member

Don't know if anyone on here follows Jeff Lynne's social media accounts but they posted what appears to be a teaser video for either a Wembley live album or concert video.

Seems like we might be getting something after all this holiday season.

21. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

That is my assumption.

22. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Yeah....I'm not biting til I see some details...been here too often before...

23. I was told the plan had been to get the Wembley show out on Blu-ray, DVD, CD, digital and even in (presumably double?) LP form this November, and after relative silence over the last few weeks, it looks as if this may yet happen. Now, let's see if "Team Jeff" will follow this announcement up with news of another studio project or even the long-rumoured possibility of a US tour next year that will supposedly see Richard Tandy return from illness...

TrekkiELO, lawrev and longaway like this.
  24. To answer your question (and please note that I had no intention of covering this particular subject in my book), it seemed as if Kelly's hair started thinning out soon after he joined ELO. Right up to the Time era, he mostly succeeded in concealing this under a heavy perm that matched Jeff's, but you could see nature catching up with him very quickly over the 1981-2 tour. Once he adopted a new look for his solo album, the hair loss issue became far more obvious, and by his return to the public eye with OrKestra in 1987, he'd passed the point of no return, embracing a very different, arguably more distinctive appearance for his permanent return to ELO Part II in the mid '90s. For a while, I honestly thought Kelly was still with the original group for their final promotional appearances until I realised that was actually the similarly balding Martin Smith hiding beneath a baseball cap in their last pre-split configuration...

TrekkiELO and lawrev like this.
  25. Paul Getsey

Paul Getsey Active Member

Well based off the publishing info in the description, it looks like we'll be getting for sure Shard!

Johnny Reb likes this.