Electric Light Orchestra - Secret Messages as originally intended

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterpyser, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Lou Ming

Lou Ming Active Member

I recall when the album was out here in America Jet ran an ad in the back of CREEM magazine warning about the bootleg LP versions. It was just a 1/16 page B +W ad, but I remember seeing it and wondering what the deal was.

ShardEnder likes this.
  2. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Accidentally found this 1991 Dutch TV performance of Kelly, Mik, and Hugh. Very interesting.

Lostchord likes this.
  3. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Well-Known Member

It's like Vic Reeves Shooting Stars Pub singer. It's rank

4. Interesting, indeed...

5. Lou Ming

Lou Ming Active Member

A thing like that could sour relations with your band-leader, I reckon!

6. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Can anyone translate into English what the emcee is saying before they start playing?

7. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

By then I would suspect that relations between Jeff and most of the classic line up were completely destroyed. By 1991 Jeff was not their band leader. These guys were fully capable of playing live without Jeff. When I hear Livin Thing, I think of Mik playing the beginning, not the violinists Jeff has had since then.

When I first saw this video, my thought was: Why didn't Jeff do this? This is as close as you would get to ELO unpluggled until the Bungalow performance 14 years later. Jeff, Richard, and a violinist and celloist. That would be very cool to watch!

8. FireOnHigh

FireOnHigh Active Member

Is that supposed to be an insult?

9. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

No, simply as fact. Jeff has stated that on the public record over the years.

10. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting? Perhaps so. This is NOT good. Of course the musicians are all professionals and do a creditable job, but they are billed as Electric Light Orchestra for crissakes. Kelly should have been ashamed to do such a show. Of course Mik plays solidly as always, but this is a very bad attempt by the trio passing themselves of as ELO. Do folks still wonder why Jeff had issues with these guys?

As a side note: What happened to Kelly's hair? Looking at videos throughout the last few years of ELO...he went from the poofy afro to totally bald on top. Did he wear a toupee a few years prior to this or did he lose his hair VERY quickly? Ron

11. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

As I don't speak that language, I don't know how they were billed in the introduction. That is why I asked if someone could translate what the emcee said. Either way, I doubt that Kelly, Mik, or Hugh wrote the introduction for the emcee to read verbatim. I'm not assuming anything regarding a 5 minute broadcast from 26 years ago.

On the musical end, though, I thought they did a good job. Notice that this was before the age of laptops on concert stages. I'd need to watch this again to see if they were miming, but my initial impression was no. Kelly was in fine voice, and Hugh was not madly jumping around the stage.

12. smilin ed

smilin ed Forum Resident

What? The vocalist was Elton John?

Michaelpeth likes this.
  13. Paul Getsey

Paul Getsey New Member

Don't know if anyone on here follows Jeff Lynne's social media accounts but they posted what appears to be a teaser video for either a Wembley live album or concert video.

Seems like we might be getting something after all this holiday season.

14. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

That is my assumption.

15. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Yeah....I'm not biting til I see some details...been here too often before...

16. I was told the plan had been to get the Wembley show out on Blu-ray, DVD, CD, digital and even in (presumably double?) LP form this November, and after relative silence over the last few weeks, it looks as if this may yet happen. Now, let's see if "Team Jeff" will follow this announcement up with news of another studio project or even the long-rumoured possibility of a US tour next year that will supposedly see Richard Tandy return from illness...

lawrev and longaway like this.
  17. To answer your question (and please note that I had no intention of covering this particular subject in my book), it seemed as if Kelly's hair started thinning out soon after he joined ELO. Right up to the Time era, he mostly succeeded in concealing this under a heavy perm that matched Jeff's, but you could see nature catching up with him very quickly over the 1981-2 tour. Once he adopted a new look for his solo album, the hair loss issue became far more obvious, and by his return to the public eye with OrKestra in 1987, he'd passed the point of no return, embracing a very different, arguably more distinctive appearance for his permanent return to ELO Part II in the mid '90s. For a while, I honestly thought Kelly was still with the original group for their final promotional appearances until I realised that was actually the similarly balding Martin Smith hiding beneath a baseball cap in their last pre-split configuration...

lawrev likes this.
  18. Paul Getsey

Paul Getsey New Member

Well based off the publishing info in the description, it looks like we'll be getting for sure Shard!

Johnny Reb likes this.
  19. Sundown

Sundown New Member

Jeff Lynne's ELO - Wembley or Bust (Deluxe)

No official announcement yet but it cant be long before there is one as Amazon have it up and its provisionally penciled in for a 17th November release.

The Amazon statement...

Wembley or Bust is a special release commemorating the June 24th, 2017 performance by Jeff Lynne's ELO at the famed Wembley Stadium in London, England. The Wembley or Bust album is available digitally, or physically as a 2 disc audio CD and a 3 LP vinyl package. There are also two Deluxe packages each including the 2 disc CD set, and the concert film on Standard DVD or BLU-RAY DVD. The music is produced by Jeff Lynne, and the concert film is directed by Paul Dugdale.

In Wembley or Bust, we see Jeff and his remarkable musical ensemble filling Wembley Stadium with one of the greatest rock & roll spectacles of all time, complete with bells, whistles and spaceships in front of a 60,000 capacity crowd. As Jeff says himself 'It's the best time I ever had in music... It is beyond anything I could have imagined'. More popular than ever, Jeff Lynne's ELO have always been known for their epic live shows and with a distinct style that seamlessly and innovatively blends rock, pop and classical music.

The Wembley or Bust audio and film includes performances of many of the most beloved songs of our lifetime, from vintage ELO classics like "Mr. Blue Sky," "Livin' Thing" and "Evil Woman" to "Do Ya" from his days with The Move, "Handle With Care" which he recorded with the Traveling Wilburys, right through "When I Was A Boy" from his latest ELO masterpiece, Alone In The Universe.

Jeff Lynne is widely regarded as one of the greatest record producers in music history. In addition to his storied career in ELO, Lynne was a co-founder and member of The Travelling Wilburys together with Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, George Harrison and Tom Petty as well as a producer and collaborator with some of the biggest names in music including The Beatles, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Joe Walsh, and most recently, Bryan Adams.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    RangerXT, Johnny Reb and Michaelpeth like this.
  20. Sundown

Sundown New Member

Wembley or Bust - the official trailer...

cmi and Michaelpeth like this.
  21. BryanS

BryanS Member

NME.com posted the set list.

The full tracklist for ‘Wembley Or Bust’ is:
    1. Standin’ In The Rain
    2. Evil Woman
    3. All Over The World
    4. Showdown
    5. Livin’ Thing
    6. Do Ya
    7. When I Was A Boy
    8. Handle With Care
    9. Last Train to London
    10. Xanadu
    11. Rockaria!
    12. Can’t Get It Out Of My Head
    13. 10538 Overture
    14. Twilight
    15. Ma-Ma-Ma Belle
    16. Shine A Little Love
    17. Wild West Hero
    18. Sweet Talkin’ Woman
    19. Telephone Line
    20. Turn To Stone
    21. Don’t Bring Me Down
    22. Mr. Blue Sky

I know we’ve heard all this stuff before but I’m in. From the trailer it looks great and the sound should be a hundred times better than the Hyde Park DVD.

RangerXT, Johnny Reb and Michaelpeth like this.
  22. Highway819

Highway819 Active Member

Track 24 will be Roll Over Beethoven.
    It was a great concert and looking forward to the CD and DVD

Michaelpeth likes this.
  23. Gordon Lynne

Gordon Lynne Member

Looking at the info on elo.biz, it seems as though there are additional tracks punctuating the concert footage. These are highlighted below:

BLU-RAY DVD TRACK LISTING (INCLUDES 2 CDs)

1. Standin' In The Rain
    2. Evil Woman
    3. All Over The World
    4. Showdown
    5. Livin' Thing
    6. Scene 1 – Birmingham Blues
    7. Do Ya
    8. When I Was A Boy
    9. Handle With Care
    10. Scene 2 – Secret Messages, Twilight, All Over the World
    11. Last Train to London
    12. Xanadu
    13. Rockaria!
    14. Band Introductions
    15. Can't Get It Out Of My Head
    16. 10538 Overture
    17. Scene 3 – Strange Magic
    18. Twilight
    19. Ma-Ma-Ma Belle
    20. Shine A Little Love
    21. Wild West Hero
    22. Scene 4 – Believe Me Now
    23. Sweet Talkin' Woman
    24. Telephone Line
    25. Turn To Stone
    26. Don't Bring Me Down
    27. Mr. Blue Sky
    28. Scene 5
    29. Roll Over Beethoven
    30. Credits

Curiously, Scene 5 isn't given a title and Scene 1 and 4 were never performed so presumably these will also include interview snippets as featured in the trailer. My only hope is that Scenes 1, 4 and 5 include the additional tracks missing from the setlist, including Tightrope, Love and Rain, One Step At A Time, When The Night Comes, Steppin' Out, Ain't It A Drag, etc. Or will this be another Japanese exclusive for the hardcore fans? Once they're out in some form, I'll be happy. I've already produced a homemade compilation of the AITU Tour and counted 31 songs performed over the last two years. Even more curious, my post about it was taken down. Are we in for more bonus features such as rehearsals or footage from other concerts? An extended Bungalow Palace? 'Time' will tell...

Johnny Reb and ShardEnder like this.
  24. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Well-Known Member

I was right. Well done me.

grimble, ShardEnder and Chazzbo13 like this.
  25. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

ELO"s home is in his head? That's a unique phrase.