Electric Light Orchestra - Secret Messages as originally intended

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterpyser, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Sundown

Sundown Active Member

Jeff Lynne's ELO - Wembley or Bust (Deluxe)

No official announcement yet but it cant be long before there is one as Amazon have it up and its provisionally penciled in for a 17th November release.

The Amazon statement...

Wembley or Bust is a special release commemorating the June 24th, 2017 performance by Jeff Lynne's ELO at the famed Wembley Stadium in London, England. The Wembley or Bust album is available digitally, or physically as a 2 disc audio CD and a 3 LP vinyl package. There are also two Deluxe packages each including the 2 disc CD set, and the concert film on Standard DVD or BLU-RAY DVD. The music is produced by Jeff Lynne, and the concert film is directed by Paul Dugdale.

In Wembley or Bust, we see Jeff and his remarkable musical ensemble filling Wembley Stadium with one of the greatest rock & roll spectacles of all time, complete with bells, whistles and spaceships in front of a 60,000 capacity crowd. As Jeff says himself 'It's the best time I ever had in music... It is beyond anything I could have imagined'. More popular than ever, Jeff Lynne's ELO have always been known for their epic live shows and with a distinct style that seamlessly and innovatively blends rock, pop and classical music.

The Wembley or Bust audio and film includes performances of many of the most beloved songs of our lifetime, from vintage ELO classics like "Mr. Blue Sky," "Livin' Thing" and "Evil Woman" to "Do Ya" from his days with The Move, "Handle With Care" which he recorded with the Traveling Wilburys, right through "When I Was A Boy" from his latest ELO masterpiece, Alone In The Universe.

Jeff Lynne is widely regarded as one of the greatest record producers in music history. In addition to his storied career in ELO, Lynne was a co-founder and member of The Travelling Wilburys together with Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, George Harrison and Tom Petty as well as a producer and collaborator with some of the biggest names in music including The Beatles, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Joe Walsh, and most recently, Bryan Adams.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    RangerXT, Johnny Reb and Michaelpeth like this.
  2. Sundown

Sundown Active Member

Wembley or Bust - the official trailer...

cmi and Michaelpeth like this.
  3. BryanS

BryanS Well-Known Member

NME.com posted the set list.

The full tracklist for ‘Wembley Or Bust’ is:
    1. Standin’ In The Rain
    2. Evil Woman
    3. All Over The World
    4. Showdown
    5. Livin’ Thing
    6. Do Ya
    7. When I Was A Boy
    8. Handle With Care
    9. Last Train to London
    10. Xanadu
    11. Rockaria!
    12. Can’t Get It Out Of My Head
    13. 10538 Overture
    14. Twilight
    15. Ma-Ma-Ma Belle
    16. Shine A Little Love
    17. Wild West Hero
    18. Sweet Talkin’ Woman
    19. Telephone Line
    20. Turn To Stone
    21. Don’t Bring Me Down
    22. Mr. Blue Sky

I know we’ve heard all this stuff before but I’m in. From the trailer it looks great and the sound should be a hundred times better than the Hyde Park DVD.

RangerXT, Johnny Reb and Michaelpeth like this.
  4. Highway819

Highway819 Forum Resident

Track 24 will be Roll Over Beethoven.
    It was a great concert and looking forward to the CD and DVD

Michaelpeth likes this.
  5. Gordon Lynne

Gordon Lynne Well-Known Member

Looking at the info on elo.biz, it seems as though there are additional tracks punctuating the concert footage. These are highlighted below:

BLU-RAY DVD TRACK LISTING (INCLUDES 2 CDs)

1. Standin' In The Rain
    2. Evil Woman
    3. All Over The World
    4. Showdown
    5. Livin' Thing
    6. Scene 1 – Birmingham Blues
    7. Do Ya
    8. When I Was A Boy
    9. Handle With Care
    10. Scene 2 – Secret Messages, Twilight, All Over the World
    11. Last Train to London
    12. Xanadu
    13. Rockaria!
    14. Band Introductions
    15. Can't Get It Out Of My Head
    16. 10538 Overture
    17. Scene 3 – Strange Magic
    18. Twilight
    19. Ma-Ma-Ma Belle
    20. Shine A Little Love
    21. Wild West Hero
    22. Scene 4 – Believe Me Now
    23. Sweet Talkin' Woman
    24. Telephone Line
    25. Turn To Stone
    26. Don't Bring Me Down
    27. Mr. Blue Sky
    28. Scene 5
    29. Roll Over Beethoven
    30. Credits

Curiously, Scene 5 isn't given a title and Scene 1 and 4 were never performed so presumably these will also include interview snippets as featured in the trailer. My only hope is that Scenes 1, 4 and 5 include the additional tracks missing from the setlist, including Tightrope, Love and Rain, One Step At A Time, When The Night Comes, Steppin' Out, Ain't It A Drag, etc. Or will this be another Japanese exclusive for the hardcore fans? Once they're out in some form, I'll be happy. I've already produced a homemade compilation of the AITU Tour and counted 31 songs performed over the last two years. Even more curious, my post about it was taken down. Are we in for more bonus features such as rehearsals or footage from other concerts? An extended Bungalow Palace? 'Time' will tell...

TrekkiELO, Johnny Reb and ShardEnder like this.
  6. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Man About Town

I was right. Well done me.

grimble, ShardEnder and Chazzbo13 like this.
  7. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

ELO"s home is in his head? That's a unique phrase.

8. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

RangerXT likes this.
  9. Gordon Lynne

Gordon Lynne Well-Known Member

Probably the most disappointing thing I've read today:
    [​IMG]

10. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I hope he is referring to the original Secret Messages album, plus maybe a Time Tour recording if it exists. Or the Garden Rehearsals. Anything but another greatest hits package.

11. Rob Caiger's earlier description of his proposed Secret Messages set leaves room for Jeff to veto several elements and still leave a desirable archival package, providing the original 18-track double album remains along with at least some interesting alternate mixes or outtakes (such as even a selection from The Garden Rehearsals). As for the Time Tour, we can't yet be sure anything remains from this period beyond several audience recordings and a short news report featuring some of the band members during a practice session, though at least we know where the powers that be should look for any surviving professionally captured live material. I'm genuinely more interested to see if anything comes of the rumoured fan efforts to acquire the 2LP acetates for Time and Secret Messages ahead of these being digitally preserved then made available in the absence of anything official...

TrekkiELO, RangerXT and lawrev like this.
  12. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Absolutely, ShardEnder. I'll repeat myself here: I WANT SOME NEW ELO MATERIAL! There. I feel better. :) If the fans have to do it, so be it.

RangerXT likes this.
  13. mkriegsman

mkriegsman Member

Interesting info about Kelly’s hair, which leads me to ask about Jeff’s hair these days. Looks far better than any 69-year-old I’ve seen... EVER!

Anybody in the know?

Best,
    Mk

RangerXT likes this.
  14. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I don't know about the hair, but if I grew a beard and looked as cool as Jeff I'd do it.
    Or Steve here.
    Unpretentious. The definition of cool.
    My uncle looks like him. Except for the haircut. Even the glasses are similar.
    Which makes sense. It was my uncle that had a huge 7" collection in the 70's, when I was restricted from good music.
    But while staying with him on a vacation made my parents more normal, of course, and I was allowed to play every one of those 7" singles again and again.
    He allowed me to take as many home as I liked.
    I had this big stack of records going into the car as we left.
    But no. Parents wouldn't allow it.
    It was back to the salt mines. :crazy:
    Heart didn't sink. It imploded.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    lightrom, RangerXT and mkriegsman like this.
  15. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Looks like this thread has been very quiet for 3 weeks. Is there anything worth noting in the land of ELO besides the Nov. 17 release of the Wembley show? What about your book, ShardEnder?

RangerXT likes this.
  16. Well, it seems as if Jeff's about to confirm several US live dates for next year, and I wouldn't be surprised if the new studio material he'd supposedly been planning to release this November has been delayed to coincide with these shows. As for the book, I'd hoped to write a proper update in a few days, but since you asked, it's looking very likely that I'll also see my project slip into early 2018. The main reason for this delay is that I managed to find out quite a lot during what should have been a simple last minute fact checking stage, including the kind of information you just don't leave out - especially not when it potentially helps shed light on a period in ELO's history that isn't well documented (in one place, to my knowledge).

P.S. Whatever happened to Rob Caiger's promise of imminent archival packages that would please the fans who don't just want casual-baiting titles such as Wembley Or Bust, which is clearly a stop-gap to serve as a stocking filler until Jeff makes his next proper move? Unless the powers that be want to risk the market possibly soon being flooded with digital transfers of the Secret Messages double LP acetates in the continued absence of an official alternative, there's still a chance to announce something for this album's upcoming 35th anniversary... Oh, and maybe we'll finally get to hear at least samples of those two previously undocumented tracks from the early test pressing for Time, even though no outtakes from those sessions beyond the three b-sides we've already heard supposedly existed?

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Forum Resident

I know this isn't ELO without Jeff Lynne (or maybe it IS ELO without Jeff Lynne), but this is pretty sweet...As someone else mentioned, it's a shame Lynne can't see clear to present his music in this fashion. This is FAR more interesting than what Lynne is offering live, which is canned versions that sound pretty much identical to the albums.

18. From a legal perspective, ELO couldn't exist at that point without Jeff or Bev present, since they were the legal co-owners of the band name back then. However, in terms of what "OrKestra" (to use their actual name) were doing with the material, I'd have to agree that at least this performance offered something different, if not more interesting than what Jeff's mostly done outside perhaps that one-off acoustic special recorded at Bungalow Palace.

TrekkiELO, RangerXT and lawrev like this.
  19. mil0001

mil0001 Well-Known Member

Jeff performing the other night in case anyone wanted to have a look. Courtesy of tony713elo.

RangerXT, smilin ed and lawrev like this.
  20. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Thanks, ShardEnder. Very interesting material all around. I've pre ordered the Wembley concert and looking forward to seeing the whole thing. Hopefully SM comes to us in its original sequence in 2018.

RangerXT likes this.
  21. pdenny

pdenny Blow up your TV

That horizon stretches out 15 years now. I have zilcho faith in anything Rob says at this juncture, and even if it does come true I suspect it won't be or sound like what we'd hope for. But, to paraphrase Bogey as Rick Blaine, "We'll always have Eldorado" :winkgrin:

RangerXT and lawrev like this.
  22. Rickhawk22

Rickhawk22 Well-Known Member

23. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

All I'd want to know is whether the horizon is the Earth's moon or is it Neptune? :)

RangerXT likes this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Forum Resident

Sounds exactly like every other "live" performance of Mr Blue Sky over the past few years. The only thing for sure is that Jeff's lead vocal is live and can vary a bit from venue to venue.

25. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I just listened to the interview, and the most interesting part for me was at about 1:23:00 where Jeff is talking about rehearsals for the shows - with Mike Stevens as the musical director, it was Mike that worked with the other 12 musicians to learn the parts. After that was done Jeff would come in and they would run through the songs together. This is certainly different than the rehearsals for the original ELO, though we never have had much insight into those.

RangerXT likes this.