Electric Light Orchestra - Secret Messages as originally intended

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterpyser, Feb 24, 2015.

1. bRETT

bRETT Forum Resident

Not being a huge fan of post OOTB ELO (Time excluded), I actually think it's one of the best songs from this period and would have been an album standout if released. Since JL always referenced the Beatles anyway, it made sense to roll it into a heartfelt tribute like this. The verse about him feeling proud of his songs, until he hears one of theirs, really nails it for me. And he was writing so many damn love songs at this point that it was a real nice change of pace.

Also, it was the early 80s, still a sad time for Beatles fans, and I think a bit of affirmation like that song would have hit the spot.

lawrev likes this.
  2. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

I agree to a point, but it's a poor song really. I can understand why he got cold feet and I'll be amazed if the original version is on this release

RangerXT and Scottb like this.
  3. As I've said before, Kelly clearly thought that Beatles Forever had potential as the lead single from Secret Messages (not that he'd have known about many of the other tracks recorded after he was frozen out of sessions for the album - he didn't even play on the title track, yet came back for his final appearance in its promo video), and it would have somewhat succeeded on sentiment alone as the logical conclusion of Jeff's mourning period for John Lennon, which began with 21st Century Man then continued through to the Time Tour tribute medley.

Yes, Beatles Forever might not be all that, but it's too well known for Jeff to put anything else in its place. To borrow from the title of his recent live effort, it's the complete original double album or bust, including the correct mixes of Four Little Diamonds, After All and Hello My Old Friend! If this move was at all influenced by this thread, I can only hope notes have been taken as to what fans such as myself expect from this long overdue release. I can only hope the powers that be end up sourcing the right cover art, too...

Now that I think about it, one of my biggest issues with this song has always been its verses, which are the parts Jeff never really tried to recycle later. Saying that, maybe the point was that he was deliberately trying to make them seem so clunky as a way of putting The Beatles on an even higher pedestal in terms of their own writing talents?

lawrev and RangerXT like this.
  4. Michaelpeth

With all due respect you are deluded if you think Jeff Lynne gives a shiny **** what fans want and that your efforts are anything to do with this release. Sorry if that appears rude or forthright

FACE OF BOE, grimble and RangerXT like this.
  5. The worst part is that I don't even remotely disagree with your assessment of Jeff as someone who is completely detached from his fanbase... My problem is that I tend to hold out for the best in people to manifest, even when they've long since established a track record of being absolutely beyond redemption (and for the record, I'm not suggesting Jeff falls into this category). Still, I always maintained optimism for Secret Messages finally getting to see the light of day in its complete form, and it looks as if my patience - if not passion - will soon pay off. Whoever deserves our gratitude for making this happen, I'll be right there at the front of the line to congratulate them!

6. Michaelpeth

He's releasing it cos I walked home after nicking the 3 x 3 promo picture frame from Callers Pegasus Newcastle in June 1983 and then put it up in the corner of my 6th form common room

7. Scottb

Scottb Forum Resident

I'm confused. Is this new Vinyl set just the already released content or will this release have all the tracks that would have been a 2 LP set way back when Secret Messages was first released and will this be released by Sony?

8. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

I don't believe there's been anything other than speculation, to this point...

9. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

Well if we’re going to start dishing out thanks, it was me who made the original request on the Sony Legacy website for SM to be released as originally intended .
    :tiphat: :laugh:

longdist01, lawrev, RangerXT and 2 others like this.
  10. Michaelpeth

Like ****e was it, I wrote to them first, here's my letter

Dear Sony,

Release Secret Messages, all of it, but dont let Jeff piss about with it first please.

Thanks,
    Michael

lawrev, Scottb, RangerXT and 2 others like this.
  11. Michaelpeth

Why is piss allowed but sh!te isnt

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    RangerXT likes this.
  12. Scottb

Scottb Forum Resident

Yes and I'm willing to bet anyone that this will not come out on the Sony or Sony associated labels. It's just not in the cards.

Chazzbo13 and RangerXT like this.
  13. Michaelpeth

Anyway, who cares, I'm listening to Moody Blues Question and what a fabulous song that it.

gja586, Retropsych and Chazzbo13 like this.
  14. Scottb

Scottb Forum Resident

The only way this could possibly be released (and I don't even think it will) would be through Real Gone Music in California. They license from Sony and Sony does all the remastering and then it gets released on the Real Gone label. Sony/Legacy would not release this because it would not sell enough copies for Sony to make a profit and that's where labels like Real Gone come in and fill the niche market will these kind of releases. You can send them an email as they do read them and sometimes respond but personally I think that Jeff is done with the ELO back catalog and the only thing we'll possibly see is a new ELO album and maybe another live album next year. I really think that Jeff has completely closed the door on the ELO back catalog titles.

Below is a link to the Real Gone website if you want to contact them and submit a request.

Real Gone Music - News

lawrev, RangerXT and Michaelpeth like this.
  15. Michaelpeth

I've emailed them and told them to delete Beatles Forever immediately forever!

smilin ed, RangerXT and Scottb like this.
  16. edenofflowers

edenofflowers Forum Resident

As the actress said to the Bishop.

zobalob, Michaelpeth and RangerXT like this.
  17. themisto

themisto Forum Resident

It's what gives the first three albums its character - I find that much more artistically rewarding than Louis Clark's uninspired and completely conventional approach.

gja586, Michaelpeth and RangerXT like this.
  18. smilin ed

smilin ed Forum Resident

Callers! Those were the days!

RangerXT, lawrev and Michaelpeth like this.
  19. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Maybe this is just "Confusion?" LOL :) And I don't particularly care for that song!

RangerXT, Scottb and Comet01 like this.
  20. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

The 2013 - Live version (Frontiers), is an improvement, I think.

RangerXT and lawrev like this.
  21. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

ooooh

RangerXT likes this.
  22. Gordon Lynne

Gordon Lynne Well-Known Member

Quick (though minor) update: the CeDe.ch website now lists the SM product without the standard album cover which had been used as a placeholder up until today. Could this indicate a new, yet distinctly familiar cover is to appear? Whoever is sending out these teasers, I wish I could 'shake their hand' ;)

23. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Which album stopped w strings and switched to synths?

Did they return to using strings?

Thanks.

I’ve been a “greatest hits” fan but love El Dorado and am getting into some of the early work.

24. themisto

themisto Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, but is anyone here familiar with this extraction from the 5.1 mix of ALL OVER THE WORLD?
    Upon first hearing, I was amazed at the power of Jeff Lynne's isolated vocals (without all the backing and harmonies). What do you all think?

badfinger54, RangerXT and Comet01 like this.
  25. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that alternate version.

I've never seen more than a minute or two of Xanadu.
    Seeing that clip reaffirms my choice to never watch the movie. :agree:

themisto and RangerXT like this.