Electric Light Orchestra - Secret Messages as originally intended

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterpyser, Feb 24, 2015.

1. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Maybe this is just "Confusion?" LOL :) And I don't particularly care for that song!

RangerXT, Scottb and Comet01 like this.
  2. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

The 2013 - Live version (Frontiers), is an improvement, I think.

RangerXT and lawrev like this.
  3. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

ooooh

RangerXT likes this.
  4. Gordon Lynne

Gordon Lynne Well-Known Member

Quick (though minor) update: the CeDe.ch website now lists the SM product without the standard album cover which had been used as a placeholder up until today. Could this indicate a new, yet distinctly familiar cover is to appear? Whoever is sending out these teasers, I wish I could 'shake their hand' ;)

TrekkiELO, lawrev, ShardEnder and 2 others like this.
  5. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Which album stopped w strings and switched to synths?

Did they return to using strings?

Thanks.

I’ve been a “greatest hits” fan but love El Dorado and am getting into some of the early work.

6. themisto

themisto Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, but is anyone here familiar with this extraction from the 5.1 mix of ALL OVER THE WORLD?
    Upon first hearing, I was amazed at the power of Jeff Lynne's isolated vocals (without all the backing and harmonies). What do you all think?

badfinger54, RangerXT and Comet01 like this.
  7. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that alternate version.

I've never seen more than a minute or two of Xanadu.
    Seeing that clip reaffirms my choice to never watch the movie. :agree:

themisto and RangerXT like this.
  8. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

We'll probably get the original double album released....

Only for it to be mastered so hot, and with so much compression that we'll all hate it anyway.

Call me an optimist.... :/

lawrev, Scottb, Comet01 and 1 other person like this.
  9. c-eling

c-eling Forum Resident

Probably right. I'm a realist :laugh:

lawrev and Scottb like this.
  10. The only ELO album not to feature strings during the group's original run from 1971 to 1986 was their last, Balance Of Power, though they were used so sparingly on Time and Secret Messages that you hardly notice their presence. Jeff then brought just cellos - but not any of the original cellists - back for Zoom, only to then return to synths again with Alone In The Universe.

TrekkiELO and RangerXT like this.
  11. I know this will probably damage the reputation I've established, but I don't really care for Beatles Forever... My reason for wanting the full Secret Messages double LP set is more to hear Jeff's original intention for the shorter mix of After All and how he planned to conclude Hello My Old Friend (even though we already have a very good idea of how both would have been), presuming the correct versions are sourced. Knowing my luck, he will indeed have demanded these parts cause my stylus to jump out of the grooves, depriving me of the pleasure in finally getting to sample the least-documented aspects of this album!

TrekkiELO, zobalob, longaway and 4 others like this.
  12. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

Balance of Power completely disposed of any real strings, however even back on the Time album, they were hardly ever used and were usually burried in the mix.

13. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Interesting isolation on Jeff's vocals. Thanks for sharing.
    ELO's reputation took a major hit, improved a bit by Time, but by then the band was in a state of prolonged decline. What a shame.
    I didn't know that Xanadu was one of the reasons why the Razzies were created. I don't think I've ever seen the entire movie. If I have, I have repressed that memory. :)

14. themisto

themisto Forum Resident

I highly advise against watching it - it was incredibly painful to hear Jeff's music cut to such garbage.

15. bRETT

bRETT Forum Resident

Somewhat the case on Discovery too, and I believe that was the first album not to list string players as part of the band.

Comet01 likes this.
  16. petedono

petedono Well-Known Member

Keeping an eye on this, but just seen another site stick the listing up on their site for the vinyl and only has the original tracks...

Secret Messages

17. I suspect we're looking at yet another placeholder tracklist until more information becomes available, since the vinyl edition of Secret Messages never included Time After Time, which was originally a bonus for those who bought the album on cassette or CD (and even this isn't entirely correct, as I know of at least one LP pressing that also featured the song, but that was more an exception to the rule than anything else).

TrekkiELO and lawrev like this.
  18. BryanS

BryanS Well-Known Member

I really hope this is finally the holy grail for us die-hards. I'll believe it when I see it though. If this release is indeed the original double album, would it not also be released in CD and advertised as such also? There is no sign of a CD release and this makes me worry.

mikew and noahjld like this.
  19. My guess is that by limiting this to a 2LP release, Jeff is appeasing the fans who've demanded to add the full Secret Messages album to their collections without drawing too much attention to Beatles Forever in particular, which it seems he's almost always considered an embarrassing track. Saying that, I anticipate there being a download card in with the physical edition, and let's not forget that Rob Caiger did tease a deluxe package just a few months back he pitched to Sony that included a cassette and poster, so we may still get that later on once demand for this initial version has been measured...

TrekkiELO and lawrev like this.
  20. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

I cant see BF getting released, it's not Jeff's style to put out stuff he isnt happy with.

grimble likes this.
  21. For all Jeff's talk of disliking Beatles Forever, this wouldn't be the first time he's supposedly approved the release of Secret Messages with this track included - we very nearly got a 2CD Legacy Deluxe Edition for the album's 30th anniversary that might have even featured the documented full length unedited version of this song with an extra verse as one of its second disc's bonus tracks. However, we also know that he'd previously vetoed it from Afterglow and the 2001 remaster, plus I've always suspected that it was ruled out for use on Flashback as well. Saying that, it's clear Rob Caiger was able to convince him at least once before, and it wouldn't make sense for any further version of its parent album to surface a song short of what fans expect - besides, the most controversial piece of the overall puzzle has been circulating for years, and it's apparently not affected demand for an official release. While I do agree that it's hardly worth its mythical status, there are far worse tracks in ELO's released catalogue I could think of, plus it's historically interesting as the foundation of Video! (which is vastly superior, in my opinion).

TrekkiELO, lawrev and cmi like this.
  22. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

I would be very surprised if the original 2 LP Secret Messages gets released with no modern tinkering from Jeff

Michaelpeth and Comet01 like this.
  23. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

Original tracks remastered, missing tracks re-recorded, BF with alternative lyrics is my guess. Or Jeff hasn't got enough new songs for a new album so hoys them on a re-release of SM and claims they are all "forgotten gems" of the 1982/83 period

Anyone understand if he has to pay out any money to the rest of ELO for re-releasing stuff they played on back in the day

lawrev, grimble, Scottb and 1 other person like this.
  24. The last I heard is that Jeff's new album is coming along well, and I can't imagine him revisiting such material as Mandalay or Hello My Old Friend - the latter is too well known by fans and journalists alike as a highlight of ELO's '80s output. As for who still gets paid royalties, that's the same as always: only Jeff and Roy for some of the earliest material. To my knowledge, all the other former members received a salary, though Bev is clearly an exception since he went on to sell his then-equal share in the band's name for an amount I suspect was enough so that he could live comfortably for a while...

TrekkiELO likes this.
  25. Scottb

Scottb Forum Resident

I'm confused by your comment. Is this just the album that has been out since 83 or will this 2 LP release have other tracks. What confused me was your statement 'without drawing too much attention to Beatles Forever'.