Electric Light Orchestra - Secret Messages as originally intended

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterpyser, Feb 24, 2015.

1. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I'm interesting in securing the most accurate version of the original album. That's it. Everything in order as is known, using the best available versions to make that a reality. Same with the acetates. If the SMS releases those online, you can bet your bottom dollar that I am securing those too!

Chazzbo13, 'elo 'elo and TrekkiELO like this.
  2. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

Thank you, I'd love to see your updated list - and, yes, I would definitely include the various other versions of songs from this era as a "bonus disc" of sorts, placed on the playlist directly after the main SM version with the various other versions and mixes thata are different enough to be worthy of inclusion.

lawrev and TrekkiELO like this.
  3. 'elo 'elo

'elo 'elo Forum Resident

Exactly!

lawrev and TrekkiELO like this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

OMG! What's that Jeff is holding? A beer? A..... fag? Rock N Roll Is King, indeed! :evil:

TrekkiELO likes this.
  5. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

This would have been taken shortly before the fateful band meeting wherein Jeff told the guys that SM would be two disks, thereby completing the record contract, and no tour to support the final album. Essentially, telling the guys during the tour that ELO was no more in a short period of time.

TrekkiELO and ShardEnder like this.
  6. There wasn't a band meeting as such - I'm guessing you're referring to the backstage incident (again in Sweden) witnessed by several fans and journalists that took place just two days before Bev fell ill? Yes, I'll definitely be covering that in great detail by offering two very different yet equally official takes on the outcome...

longaway and TrekkiELO like this.
  7. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

There was a meeting called "The Meal" around the time that Jeff Lynne won his suit against Don Arden where he told band members they wouldn't get their fair share of royalty profits, this is one main reason for Kelly Groucutt's lawsuit and why ELO Part II/The Orchestra ultimately exists.

lawrev likes this.
  8. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Yeah, the Afterglow liner notes by Ira Robbins of Trouser Press fame and also Casey Kasem's American Top 40 from April 2nd, 1983, right before "Der Kommissar" at #15 tell this story about where their warm up act After the Fire's drummer Pete King (RIP) drums for Bev Bevan who had kidney stones on The Time Tour in Germany!

9. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

Kelly was on a wage wasn’t he? And how can you tell someone they’re not going to get their ‘fair share’? And wasn’t the Don Arden suit after SM and therefore after Kelly left?

Apart from that...

10. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Kelly Groucutt along with all the other former band members weren't just hired hands or session musicians, such players are not usually in the album credits and on back covers. When it's your lawsuit, especially if there's a settlement out of court, you can tell someone anything, that's where they put their trust!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 2:24 PM
  11. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

Everyone apart from Jeff, Bev (and maybe Richard) were salaried and on a contract.

12. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Well, Kelly Groucutt must have had some sort of a case where songwriting goes, otherwise it wouldn't have gotten that far, again hired hands or session musicians usually don't get credit in the album credits/covers as full Electric Light Orchestra band members, just look at Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Fleetwood Mac and many more for comparisons!

13. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

I’m not disputing that they were bona fide band members, but they were also, to put it crudely, employees. They were paid an income for being in ELO.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 2:40 PM
    Michaelpeth likes this.
  14. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

But I believe that to be the gist of the suit...band members defined their positions one way, and were never told otherwise until that particular point in time...if Kelly had believed he was simply a "staff member" all along, there would have been no real basis for the suit...

TrekkiELO likes this.
  15. Beatmaniac

Beatmaniac Forum Resident

Well, I just saw Jeff in Houston. What a show they put on... wow!!

I would have loved some deeper cuts, but I mean it’s a comeback tour we all know that won’t happen.

16. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

My point exactly, if so, then don't list contracted musicians as actual members when they're clearly not, that's why it's now Jeff Lynne's ELO, because as a faceless band like The Electric Light Orchestra was, you open yourself up to scrutiny from me along with many other purist fans, a bag of worms!

17. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Eh? Wings members (other than Paul, Linda and Denny Laine) were all duly credited. but were always salaried employees. This was and is common practice. Especially when groups go through original members. Kelly was NOT an original member. And as far as I know he was never a partner. Ron

18. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

What was the suit? I believe it was that he thought he should have been paid more, which may have been related to realising that the writing was on the wall for ELO. I don’t accept he wasn’t aware he was on a salary.

Darren Richardson likes this.
  19. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

The fact is Kelly and most other members of ELO were on wages.

20. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Look, then don't list them as official band members in ELO's album credits or on back covers!

Fact, Mike de Albuquerque, Wilf Gibson, Mike Edwards, Colin Walker, Kelly Groucutt, Mik Kaminski, Hugh McDowell, Melvyn Gale and Louis Clark all contributed to The Electric Light Orchestra songwriting process.

21. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

You might want to check those album credits you’re fond of in relation to that last paragraph.

22. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Although Kelly Groucutt was NOT an original member, he was still credited!

23. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Just because it states "All songs written and produced by Jeff Lynne", doesn't mean that those members didn't contribute to the songwriting process! Were you there in the studios with The Electric Light Orchestra?!

24. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

Well you can use the album credits as evidence to support your opinion or not. You seem to want to use them to support one of your arguments and ignore them to support another one.

In the knowledge I’m correct I’ll dip out of this until it gets interesting again.

25. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Arrangements perhaps... but the songs were brought in as finished melodies, chords and lyrics by Lynne.