Electric Recording Company To Reissue Several Prestige Mono Jazz Title in 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tommyboy, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Oof, I didn't realize @DeRosa said Amazon Japan. I've never made a purchase through Amazon Japan before, I thought DeRosa meant the US Amazon.

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I have some dealings with some of the most extravagant companies in the UK through work, like Rolls Royce. You can order a bespoke car from them for millions but you have to buy two - they have to crash test one of them. That seems immoral to me, wasting so much money.

There are a lot of companies like that, they basically sell to the filthy rich who really have no concept of the cost of anything, selling diamond encrusted mobile phones for 20 grand, or a handbag for 40 grand. As I say, I think its wrong myself that we live in a world like that. But if you can tap into those people who literally have money to burn then you can charge anything.

This label is just like that really, marketed to an elite. They can do what they want of course but it just seems to be a bit distasteful as 'music' is a pure thing at a basic level.

TS582 likes this.
  3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Look for the tab (just to the left of the account button) that switches it to English. I found it no problem to order from Canada

Dubmart likes this.
  4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Disk Union.

It makes a difference for google searches.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I found them okay on Amazon, the lack of English was my problem, will try and find the magic button.

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Easy when you know how, but it's still not recognising my UK account, I'll persevere.

7. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I tend to believe ERC is not making a lot of profit on these records (yet) because of the factor labour that seems to be involved.
    And what they offer is something unique: all analogue chain, tube only. I don't know if it makes any difference, but when you're looking for the best sound (like me) it's interesting.
    What if their version of Overseas sound better than Kevin Gray's solid state cut for AP? That would be a great achievement.
    Considering that you might only find an original copy in the 3k bin, an ERC reissue is a serious option for an audiophile.
    Overseas Bulletin | jazzcollector.com »

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Joined Amazon Japan and everything is now sorted, with postage and import duty, (I love that Amazon do that and save us Royal Mail's extortionate fees), I think the Blue Notes are around £56, now to decide which one I should buy.

Thanks DeRosa.:righton:

2xUeL and DeRosa like this.
  9. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

My first one was Thad Jones Detroit-New York Junction.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Detroit-New-Junction-BLUENOTE-プレミアム復刻シリーズ-Analog/dp/B00776RM6A/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1475014684&sr=8-16&keywords=blue+note+disk+union

Sonny Rollins Vol 1 would be a close second choice

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Rollins-ソニ...5_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TPBXE70PAQBN584MY044

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well with £90,000 per record they must be on one hell of an hourly rate if they aren't making money, I've never tried to license Jazz from Concord, but I do know what Universal charge for non Jazz and even with any extra costs involved from transporting the original tape I can't see it coming to more than £20,000, let's call it £25,000, he owns the gear, but perhaps he wants to bill himself so we'll be very generous and call that £1,000, the engineer is in house, but let's give him £1,000 as well, Canadian type set, well £1,000 should more than cover that, artisan letter press craftsman, paper, ink, board and sleeve assembly, let's go crazy and give them £5,000, pressing 300 LPs at Record Industry and shipping, £2,000, publishing depends on his wholesale price, but on 300 units isn't going to be tens of thousands. I make the costs under £40,000 and that's being generous, so that leaves a nice round £50,000 profit, just saying.

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Sonny is on my short list, I don't know the Thad Jones, one of the few Blues Notes that's flown totally below my radar, but that's a nice lineup, I need to sell some records and buy more Blue Notes.

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member Thread Starter

I love OJC pressings. Can't get enough of them.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I love the old OJC CD's and LP's. Best deal in jazz reissues that ever will be.

And as I've mentioned, every Prestige, Riverside, Contemporary, etc. tape box I've ever looked in has ANALOG cutting notes for the OJC reissue LP version, this going up into the 2000's...

I've read this thread with interest. I personally don't care how much a company charges for an album. I would never buy something like this but if one of you wants to, be my guest.

My beef (and my own opinion) is that if a restoration guy gets a bug to restore some grand old discarded valve equipment, great, I love to see it happen (my pal did this for an entire 1928 Vitaphone film/disk system in his house.) But I have doubts about using this gear to cut modern albums of vintage music. I've worked with old mastering gear and other than a tube compressor or something that doesn't color the sound overly, I would always use a modern (1970's on) Neumann lathe cutting system. Nothing sounds better, it's neutral, dynamic and people like Kevin Gray are still using it to cut fantastic records. It's the best there is or ever will be.

So, that's where my concern comes in. I don't want my new record to sound like a 1959 cutting. In fact, I would avoid that in most cases. I want the most musical, natural, dynamic un-futzed with cutting possible and that means Neumann post 1969... I would buy a $12.00 OJC LP first, I know that it is giving me an accurate representation of what is locked into the master tapes of a bygone era. To try and bypass the actual, beautiful sound of the master tape to recreate a vintage style pressing sound is something I would never be interested in hearing, nor would it even enter my thoughts as something worth doing.

So, that's my story.

sassi, Jim B., struttincool and 5 others like this.
  14. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Agreed! And don't kid yourself, in 5-10 years time when these are OOP, some collector's who missed the boat may be willing to pay 3x what ERC is charging now.

SergioRZ likes this.
  15. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Sadly, Overseas never came out on OJC vinyl. :cry: I am going to pick up the AP reissue soon though. :D Are you a fan of the album? Own a copy?

16. Steve Hoffman

Never heard the album in my life. Isn't there a $4.00 OJC CD of it?

17. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

There is, I have it, sounds great.

18. Steve Hoffman

I might have it as well. Ralph at Fantasy sent me the entire OJC catalog on CD back in the 1990s..

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member Thread Starter

You can also get the AP reissue of Overseas on vinyl for $35. Sounds wonderful. No need to spend £300.

DeRosa and mr. scratchy esq like this.
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've taken the plunge on Amazon Japan, there aren't that many actually in stock and I wanted to avoid those I have as MMs, APs or 1st presses as I'm happy with them, so I ended up going for a Mobley which I only have on a Japanese Toshiba and a Rollins which I have various, but not great, issues of, they should be here in a week or so, I'll try and remember to post my opinion of them if people will forgive me drifting off topic once again.

DeRosa and googlymoogly like this.
  21. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I think just discussing it here in several threads has depleted some of the inventory they had!
    It's fortunate there are any available at all, considering these started being released over 5 years ago.
    Some people here savaged the idea of a $50 reissue, many scoffed at this series, and i must say
    totally missed the boat.

The Disk Union website doesn't seem to have any availability of the titles that Amazon is out of,
    their inventory is likely what remains, I imagine some titles are either sold out, or the last remaining
    copies are in the Disk Union stores in Tokyo. Hopefully some of the other titles will re-appear.
    There is always ebay and Discogs too, I check there, but some of the prices are too high.

I've done the same as you, and looked to fill holes where there isn't a 33rpm MM or Classic Records.
    Most of my (growing!) Blue Note collection is made up of Classic, MM, and now Disk Union,
    with a few 90's Toshiba copies in there for good measure. I must be close to 200 titles by now,
    and largely avoided 2x45 versions. I can fill another dozen or so early titles with the MM 45's,
    but i'd rather hold out for single LP's if i can.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    2xUeL likes this.
  22. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Sorry for continuing this off topic discussion, but i thought it was neat that Disk Union replicated the inner sleeves,
    and Hank Mobley 4058 Roll Call album comes with the printed Blue Note album covers sleeve!
    How cool is that? I wish Music Matters did this, it's the one detail they missed.

[​IMG]

23. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Meh. Seeing that their packaging fails to mimic originals in numerous ways, that would seem odd to me.

24. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

To keep this thread on topic, I was going to redirect our discussion of the Disk Union LPs here:

"Blue Note ~ Premium Vinyl Reissue Series" by EMI Japan »

...but the thread appears to be locked...??

I have noticed this more lately, when I go back to look at older threads, they're locked now. Anybody know what this is about?

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Any Blue Note repress thread seems to get heated, someone saying they are the best ever versus someone saying they are rubbish, etc., etc., even the MM thread has sailed close to the wind a few times, so I guess that's why it's been locked, as long as Tommyboy doesn't mind and we all stay civil I don't see we can't continue to talk about them here as most of us seem interested.

Considering this thread is about ERC which I can't afford it's really costing, me money, I've ordered the Disk Unions and would have ordered both the AP "Mobley's Message" and "Overseas", but they were out of stock at my UK supplier, I've not got "Overseas" on any format, apart from my Esquire I thought I also had an OJC of "Mobley's Message", back when I started getting into Jazz I bought almost every OJC I could get my hands on and I also loved Mobley from the start, I even remember the US cover, but no sign so I imagined it, sold it years ago or it's misfiled somewhere, no idea which.:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.