Electric Recording Company To Reissue Several Prestige Mono Jazz Title in 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tommyboy, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Amen.

Tommyboy and 2xUeL like this.
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't mind

Dubmart likes this.
  3. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Funny you mentioned the potential of people reading this starting to snatch stuff up: I have been watching an $80 Disk Union copy of Candy on eBay for months now and it finally sold a couple days ago. :rolleyes: Gonna have to hightail it over to Amazon Japan for one of the last ones they have...cheaper in the end anyway.

DeRosa likes this.
  4. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

EDIT: The thread was locked a couple hours ago, now it's not!...:confused:

So what that means is we can keep talking about Disk Union over there if we want...or here.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  5. Tommyboy

So, is anyone going to pony up and buy an ERC Prestige pressing? As crazy as it seems, I'm tempted, but haven't pulled the trigger.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Glad you took what I wrote to heart. Don't worry, no one else ever does either..

7. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Why don't we all invest in one copy and mail to to each other

8. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

bought Hank Mobley Mobleys Message & pre order next week

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think we're having a nice discussion here without being distracted by any agendas.

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm with Steve on this one, it just encourages them to exploit people, but it's your money and I guess that in the long run someone will at least give you what you paid back once they sell out, I think we'd all also be interested in an honest opinion and comparison with the AP. I've ordered a dedicated mono cart, although there is a delay in getting it, but once it arrives and assuming my Esquire is as clean as I remember I'll happily post some clips of that as well, even if it's not like for like it should be useful to hear a period Van Gelder cut.

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'll be interested in hearing what you think.

12. Tommyboy

Well, I did say I didn't pull the trigger.

13. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

After all your comments, you can't be seious...or are you??

14. Tommyboy

What happens if I am? I'm allowed to be a hypocrite o_O

I really do want to hear one of their pressings, but I'm having a hard time with the price tag. There are so many reissues coming out this fall: Music Matters BN reissues, Pink Floyd Box, Stones mono box, Dylan live 1966 box, Kinks mono box, that I just can't justify the cost. I still stand by the SQ comments. I can't imagine the ERC pressings sounding better than what was already issued by AP.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've just received my Disk Union Blue Notes from Amazon Japan, no time to play them today, but they are beautiful reissues, have they nailed the whole replica thing, no, I have 60 year old first presses that are like new to compare and these don't quite hit the mark, they are close though and knowing how much effort the Japanese probably put into it probably as close to replicating a fifties pressing, sleeve and label as you will get without spending insane money. The sleeves are very close, the deep groove is close, but just doesn't look quite right to me, I'd agree with whoever said the blue isn't quite the right shade, but I'm not able to directly compare the reissues to their first press equivalent so as there is some colour variation on original labels I can't be sure they haven't exactly matched the labels, finally the flat edge isn't quite the same as on my originals, but again there may be some variation. As replicas, I'd say 9 out of 10, just visually without listening and forgetting the replica side of things they are beautiful reissues, nice, clean, flat, heavy, (if you like that sort of thing), pressings, beautiful glossy sleeves of traditional US construction and nicely packed with the record separate to the sleeve, I would have preferred a traditional obi, but that's just me. In the UK the Disk Unions and the Music Matters 33rpms cost about the same at £5, probably even more since our currency just reached a new low, so not cheap, until I play the DUs I can't tell you which I'd choose first, the MMs are superb, if the DUs match them then I'd be in a real quandary as I love the MM gatefolds and the gloss finish, but there is also a case for the DU approach and I can see them getting better with age and looking the part even more, either way I'd happily choose six MMs or DUs over one ERC.

DeRosa likes this.
  16. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

That's not what Steve wrote. At all.

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Steve said he's never buy something like this and when Tommyboy looked like he was buying a copy Steve commented on him not taking his advice so Steve wouldn't buy one which is where I'm with Steve, I was the one calling it exploitation and if you quote my full post I think it's clear that I'm the one saying that, rather than Steve, plus if there was any confusion I assumed we'd all read what Steve wrote and understood it.

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

A quick update on the Disk Unions, I did a direct visual comparison of an original Sonny Rollins "A Night At The Village Vanguard" and the Disk Union version, my previous suspicions/observations about the label's ink colour, the deep groove and the flat edge are all confirmed, they are very close, but not quite there, the ink colour difference is obvious, the real issue is the sleeve, side by side there is no mistaking them, the reproduction of the photo on the Disk Union really isn't as sharp as one would hope and the lamination just isn't as rich for want of a better word, the sleeve loses a mark down to 8 out of 10 and below the quality of reproduction achieved by MM.

19. Tommyboy

Update

I haven't bought an ERC pressing yet o_O

20. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Well I found an AP copy of Overseas today in a nearby New Jersey record store. :) 25 bucks, like new condition. Sounds great, looks great. Thanks for the rec folks.

DeRosa and Dubmart like this.
  21. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

I personally prefer the DU dimpled gloss to the MM flat gloss (regardless of how the original was done actually). RE 'sharp' photos: I've debated in the MM thread about how MM used the original negatives I believe whenever possible to make their covers. In the process, they usually made lower contrast choices than those made by Reid Miles in order to make the photo look sharper, I suppose with the aim of making them look more realistic/lifelike (which was their intention with the sound of the records as well). I actually don't like that MM used 'perfectly sharp' photos for their jackets and I prefer the higher contrast of the photos used for the original jackets. On the other hand, I just saw dozens of Classic Records jackets in a record store in Jersey today. I'm sure they put a lot of effort into those and as nice as they are, many of them look washy, as if they digitally scanned something and did the best they could...I dunno but in some ways I think the MM jackets win out over those.

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That's how I feel about the DU sleeve, "they digitally scanned something and did the best they could", it looks nice in isolation, but against an original sleeve, no contest, I can't compare the Mobley DU as I only have a Toshiba already. The only two MMs I recall directly comparing with originals are "Blue Train" and "Out To Lunch", I remember being very impressed by how close the MMs were to originals, I'll double check that tomorrow, I'll also dig out some Classics and see how they stand up although at the time I thought they were pretty good. The ones that I don't understand are those where they have chosen an entirely different shade or even colour for a reissue, a mistake or a deliberate choice there are a few among Blue Note reissues and they do bug me, not as much as reversed sleeves such as one of the "Cool Struttin'" issues with the feet facing the wrong way, now that was a mistake.

23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Incidentally are the DUs microgroove or did they go all the way and cut them for a 1 mil mono stylus?

24. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Didn't Kevin Gray cut these? I don't think he has a mono cutting head in his mastering studio, but I may be mistaken.

25. Tommyboy

Yes, he cut them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.