Electric Warrior

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul K, Sep 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member Thread Starter

Which do we like, and why? - and is the Rhino the best place to get Raw Ramp?

Discuss...

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

3. Paul K

Got it. Maybe what I am looking for are opinions on the latest Rhino, now that we have lived with it for a while.

Thanx for the links though.

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

More discussion is possible due to the fact that we have newer members since those threads were created and they may have a different opinion or just want to discuss it. The archives can help with prior opinions.

mud-:D

5. Paul K

And then mud, what is your opinion then?

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

All I have is the Rhino so I have nothing to compare it with but I wish I'd known there was a SACD coming out I would have waited. The Rhino will do for now.

mud-

7. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have the 1986 copy of ELECTRIC WARRIOR, on Sierra Records Cd, catalog number CDTR @. This disc has the additional songs of HOT LOVE and DEBORAAROBED. I love the sound of this disc compared to any other version that I have heard on CD. The only problem with mine is that it has a couple of litte scuffs on it, I partied hard back in the '80s and pulled this disc out on many occasions when I shouldn't have. The sound on the Sierra CD is great, any fan of ELECTRIC WARRIOR should just get this one. It was made in England in early 1986.

8. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

<---Good album. I have both the 2001 Marino/Visconti remaster on A&M (europe) and the recent Rhino reissue. The Rhino beats the A&M on packaging certainly, although there are some cool photos and stuff in the A&M; other than that it's difficult to say. The A&M release has a bunch of work-in-progress versions, which many T. Rex fans are fond of (and, when combined with the liner notes, make for a kind of basic "how-to" for studio work that I found fascinating. Rhino, obviously, has different bonus tracks - not up to the standard of the album, IMHO, but also interesting. As far as the sound goes, the Rhino is standard Bill Inglot (whether you like it or not, and since I don't have a good enough stereo to make it unlistenable, I'm okay with it thus far). I've heard the Visconti/Marino transfer described as warmer, which probably means it has more low end and isn't smiley-faced - though I don't know if it was no-noised or EQed differently.

I once had a 1997 A&M version of Electric Warrior, and I'm interested to know if that issue or the domestic old-school Reprise issue were decent-sounding in the popular opinion. Were either of them quality flat transfers? (eventually I'll get a rig where this is important, better stock up now ;)

--MK

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Anyone know who mastered the SACD?

10. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

First thread sez: Tony Visconti

mud-

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I've heard the old school Reprise disc and it does sound great although the disc I have is the Visconti UK disc with the glitch on Mambo Sun, but I downloaded an MP3 on WinMX of the corrected version of it and burned it and the rest of the disc on CD-R so I put both discs in a 2 CD slimline jewel case.

12. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

I am trying really hard to understand why anyone would see any merit in the Marino- Visconti disc. To not include "Raw Ramp",the classic B-side of "Get it on" as a bonus cut over some of these studio outakes is only the start of its problems...
    It has everything that most here seem to loathe. Its super-compressed ,with a totally artificial tanked-up bass and a faked out top end . Its no-noised and most of all, it sounds NOTHING like the original UK FLY LP. Plus it has a huge dropout one-channel on" Mambo Sun". To call that a mere "glitch" is a bit of an understatement.
    The Rhino matches the original UK lp pressing more closely,and almost exactly, than any other CD .
    I just dont get it....
    It makes me think some people here read the Logos and the credits first and then judge the sound accordingly. Without really listening.

stef1205 likes this.
  13. Paul K

Namretsam, dude, calm down.

I am grateful to you for giving me an accurate appraisal of the Rhino disc, but hey, it is only a nice, whimsical discussion on a great piece of rock 'n' roll, so please, I want to continue this thread without it getting gorted into oblivion.
    Just a friendly reminder that these people here have some of the best ears I have never met. We all bond in our quest for the least futzed-up representation of our favourite tunes and hope that others like Steve will show up on the scene to help him with what definitely has to be called his mission.

Let's not get hung-up with attacking the sensibilities of those who, let's face it, are the best friends your sonic sensibilties are ever gonna have. Granted, we may all not agree on every point (that is for sure :)) but this forum has less moronic content than lotsa other boards. I come here because I am informed and entertained. And because I like to bore the shorts off of everyone I meet about different masterings. (oh God!)

Let's make up and be friendly before Mick asks,

"People, who's fighting, and what for?"

end of transmission...

14. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

You know, that's probably true. Some people are that way. But I don't think most are - not by a longshot. Remember that there are over 2000 members here (and one heckuva lot more lurkers, I'd like to add). Each person is an idividual, and it's rather unfair to everyone, including yourself, to lump many or even all members into one collective "them", even though it's easy to do that when one is a new member (and that's often true anywhere in life, not just this website).

So Nam - welcome aboard, but please relax - you're amoungst friends. :) Try not to get worked up over a few opinions here and there. Sydbarrett has it right: many/most other forums have a lot more noise than signal, and we work hard to keep the content of value and the crap out.

Cheers,

jeff

15. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Not this guy and I know that I am not alone here! I let my ears be the judge! This way, I discover some great mastering work...I get 'bit' once in awhile but, that is part of fun. I am one of those wacky guys that is constantly seeking the best-sounding versions of tracks that I like. This makes for owning many versions but, what the hell!:laugh:

Bob:)

16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have been following this thread, and does anybody know who mastered my old 1986 Sierra CD of ELECTRIC WARRIOR. The masteres must have been fresh, because the vitality and crispness just blows the doors off all other CD issues.

17. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yup. Keeping in the spirit of this thread I will mention I probably have eight different versions of this album.

Mr. Inglot gets it right a lot of the time. I know he always has his EQ set on stun but I'll be damned if he didn't get the new Yes Album remaster to sound like the original vinyl release. Why should it surprise us that he may have matched the vinyl of this album too. He may have even used better tapes that the Marino/Visconti version. Who knows.

18. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

Mastered????? Sorry, but I think he produced the 5.1 version. And that shouldn't be a problem, if you know Bowie's Heathen.
    I'm still hoping for something like a definitive "Electric Warrior", too. I have the Anniversary Editon from Universal, and something completely different: a Japanese CD from 1983 on a label called SM. It sounds nice, very "analogue", but this is because it's a needle drop. Anyone else here who knows this one?

Martin

19. audio

audio New Member

I'd say the 2001 Tony Visconti cd has definitely NOT been no-noised. That sucker has more his than any disc in my collection. My girlfriend has the original cd,....a gift from me, and I actually prefer the sound of that one to any remaster I've heard. I used to have the Japanese disc also, but it didn't blow my mind so I made myself a copy and sold it. Has anyone ever noticed that the R/L channels are reversed on the Japanese disc??

20. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Do you know who mastered or produced the 5.1 version. You say "I think" in your post.

On the reverse of the Euro A&M version it says:

Produced AND digitally Remastered by Tony Visconti.

There are NO other credits.

mud-

21. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

No, sorry.. All that was written about the upcoming release is about the mixing.

But the booklet mentions "... and Grandmaster George Marino".

Martin

22. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Old George needs to have his agreements re-written to be included with Tony on the cover.

mud-

23. Pepzhez

Pepzhez New Member

The original US Reprise/Warner 'Electric Warrior' CD is the one to get. Very warm sounding, unfutzed-with flat transfer. All others versions destroy the unique feel and atmosphere of the album, plus they all sound too harsh to me - and this is NOT a harsh-sounding recording!

24. Jopin

Jopin Active Member

The "simply vinyl" version anybody?

25. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Do you have any spine or insert numbers to look for? One advantage of sorts of living here (Argentina) is that new releases take more to get here, therefore some of the older stuff is still on the shelves.

I'd be interested in getting a copy of this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.