"Elementary", New CBS Show.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tonyc, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ah yes, the old "we know it sucks long before we've seen/heard a second of it" attitude. I agree with a previous poster that, based on the commercial I saw, this is aimed squarely at the "House" audience.

I like Miller, I like Liu and I like the idea of something similar to "House" being on the fall schedule.

2. I remember seeing an NBC TV-movie 28 years ago with Michael Pennington as Holmes and Margaret Colin as Watson's granddaughter...the premise was that Holmes had been frozen in suspended animation for 8 decades and thawed out alive in the 1980's. Much to my surprise, I enjoyed this as a 2-hour program. Whether the premise would work as an ongoing TV series is another matter, but I'm willing to be open-minded about it if it works in this case...:wave:

3. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Nobody used the word 'sucks' until you. Many, but admittedly not all, of the comments have been along the lines of 'not optimistic but I'll give it a shot.'

That said, trailers and blurbs are meant to entice us. If even they fail to do so, a negative attitude toward the show is a pretty natural and logical result.

Before reading your post, I thought it was just derivitive of BBC's Sherlock. Now apparently it's also derivitive of another show, one I've only seen once or twice (and hence why I didn't pick up on an earlier comment). So if the previews make it look doubly unoriginal, it's a bit unreasonable to expect everyone to be optimistic about it.

Hope you enjoy it, and for that matter, hope I do as well.

4. You're right. I'm just tired of all the negativity about anything new around here. I'm going to stay out of speculative threads about things nobody has seen/heard yet.

5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I can say right now that I am not even going to waste my time watching the first - or any - of the episodes. The ads for this are really bad.

Also, in every ad for the show, Lucy Liu looks like her face is made of wax. Eye Candy? WTF!!! Somebody needs glasses.

6. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

I'm surprised that no one has noted this... Curiously, Johnny Lee Miller (who played Roger in the recent Tim Burton DARK SHADOWS movie) has performed with Benedict Cumberbatch. (The BBC SHERLOCK and is also in the next STAR TREK movie.) They recently exchanged roles (Dr. Frankenstein/The Monster) in alternating performances of the National theater live version of FRANKENSTEIN! Which was directed by Danny Boyle!

7. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Anybody watch last night? I was watching the Browns lose (again) :mad: but I recorded it.

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I saw it. BBC version is better, natch. But it wasn't bad (despite the rather ludicrous murder plot). As the American appetite for crime dramas seems to be completely insatiable, I suspect this will do alright despite all the negative nellies in this thread.

9. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

I didn't watch it. The idiot op who started this thread convinced me it would suck.

10. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yeah, what a tool that guy is ;) Fortunately(?) for me I didn't see this thread or any of the previews/ads for the show before tuning in last night, so I had a completely open mind.

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

12. mcjfsn

mcjfsn Forum Resident

I totally forgot until just now that I watched this last night...

13. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Despite Lucy Liu (who in her portrayal has all of the charisma of death warmed over), I enjoyed last night's premiere - enough to tune in again.

14. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

She is now 43 and a strikingly attractive woman (IMO) when she was younger. Her appearance in this program is not flattering.

As for the program, I only made it through 10 minute of last night's program. I don't watch a lot of TV but this pattern of eccentric male leads is getting ridiculous.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I liked it. Sue me.

16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll give it a shot. I have the DVR set. It is on again Saturday night.

17. dee

dee Senior Member

I was expecting less. I enjoyed it. I don't even remember exactly what the plot was all about but at some point in the show the two of them together clicked for me and I enjoyed that relationship. I can't say I'm a previous fan of either one of the actors either, but enjoyed their characters last night. I plan on watching it next week. Not sure if it will last but am willing to see the next episode.

18. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I'm liking it three quarters through the first episode. That antagonist really reminds me of Val Kilmer.

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I never give a crap about plots with TV shows like this. It's all about relationships...

20. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I did too. I guess we're not "hip". :D

21. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I guess I'll tire of it quickly, but eccentric characters make a show interesting — as in _Person of Interest_.

22. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

co-sign

23. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I think that relates to how these things are pitched to the network execs. The premise has to be reduceable to those kinds of pithy soundbites.

24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

It did very well in the ratings....second biggest premier for a new show. Crushed all competition in its time slot.

25. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

And it's not like they created yet another eccentric TV character just for the sake of eccentricity. It's a character that's been eccentric since 1887. I enjoyed the first episode enough to watch it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.