"Elementary", New CBS Show.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tonyc, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Maybe it was because it was on DVR, but I watched about 2/3 and had to delete it. It didn't hold my interest.

2. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I enjoyed the pilot quite a bit.

I like "British" Miller, more than "American" Miller. Liu looks amazing, and to her credit IMO she played her character with restraint and subtlety that allows for lots of development.

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I used to not think much of Lucy Liu. I remember when the Charlie's Angels movie first came out being confused by her casting. But I guess in my mind she's aging well, as I do now find her attractive.

I watched about 1/2 of the episode and will finish it tomorrow. I like the way she's playing the character so far. I have a hard time understanding Miller, though. There were at least five lines where I couldn't tell what he said. Subtitles would help. I'm not a fan of procedurals, so I probably won't stick with this long, but I'll at least finish the pilot and probably watch 1 or 2 more.

4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Second episode was even better, really liking the feel of this show. Good stuff.

5. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Good to know, we missed it as my wife and I were out.

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

You mean they're not the same person?

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

saw the second one (missed the first)

1 - too many shots of lucy lui making different facial expressions

2 - the english accent is bit strong

3 - wasn't this called "columbo" a few years ago?

4 - how long before they "hook-up"?

5 - it will get a least a year, just because it is sherlock holmes.

8. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Hmmm. Never had that impression - either that was too much of Lui (and I'm not particularly a fan of hers - wouldn't have minded if anyone else was cast), and if anything I would complain that she seems to only have one expression (maybe two).

I didn't find it too "strong". Miller is English; not certain if his Sherlock voice is significantly different than his natural voice. Surprised you had a problem either understanding it or that you found it irritating.

Don't think there's any resemblance between this and 'Columbo' - other than there are mysteries to solve. The characters and the overall series set-ups are totally different.

I hope not. If the series is to succeed I think they have to maintain the basic Holmes character and personality, and mythology. Making these two a couple would be a mistake.

I hope so. I've enjoyed the first two episodes and hope the character recognition gives the series a chance to succeed and build an audience. I like the fact that a Sherlock Holmes series is aired on primetime.

9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I watch a lot of TV, so maybe I'm over-thinking this, but here goes: The premise of this show is that Sherlock Holmes now works in NYC. So in this universe Sherlock Holmes the fictional character has never existed, and only exists in the present day as an actual person? The only interest in this character is in the audience's shared knowledge of the literary Sherlock-the people surrounding him in the show have no idea because that Sherlock never existed. I guess my point is, how is this character any different than Monk, Mentalist, House, the perceptionist dude on TBS, or even Castle? Why make him Sherlock Holmes? I know the other Sherlock show is more "conventional" in that it takes place during the time of Doyle's books. See? I spend way too much time watching TV.
    About Lucy Lui: Southland's loss is definitely this shows gain.
    And that whole bit about predicting the end of the baseball game-:rolleyes:

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

No, BBC's "Sherlock" takes place in present-day London. "Elementary" is just a crib of that idea, moved to the US.

11. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

^Sorry-my bad.

12. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

For some reason my DVR did not record the pilot even though it was instructed to do so. I did watch the second episode. I thought it was fine as a typical procedural and I will probably watch at least one more. But, I don't really understand why it is necessary to make these two Holmes and Watson except as a ratings grab? You have a winning timeslot so why not just create a series under this premise with new characters?

13. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I missed the Pilot but enjoyed the second episode. Luckily the Pilot is reshowing tonight.

14. misterdecibel

There's always Hulu...

15. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

He has same personatlity as Greg House. Aka a drug addict genius.
    Just a little bit more hyper. This show predictable, shame really.
    All crime drama shows on network tv are running the same path.

But Rob Morrow, was this weeks stand out on csi york.:eek:

I bearly watch tv anymore.

And having nurse maid, aka companion seems like Monk.:rolleyes:

16. A clever, well written second episode.

Everything's been done before the only thing you can try and do now is try and do it better and with an interesting variation. "Elementary" does this in my opinion.

It's a clever companion piece to "Sherlock".

17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I came to the conclusion (after watching the first season) that House was a psychopath or sociopath. Even if the show's runners did not intend that characterization, basically the character's actions defined him - at least for me. Holmes, in general or in this specific portrayal, isn't anywhere close to House (IMO). The Holmes mythology has Sherlock only turning drug use to desperately alleviate an inactive intellect - which isn't often actually. (Reading the books, one gets the impression that if a critical mass of inactivity is experienced within Holmes' mind, his head will literally explode.) Although the House character is given some psychological pain in his back story to explain his drug use, he really is just a junkie - a high functioning junkie, but just a junkie never-the-less.

And I always thought the House episodes were very predictable as far as the medical mystery / diagnosis / genius aspect of the show and the character went. I presume the show runners inserted all of the soap opera plots regarding House's personality and personal life over the run of the series to add some spice to the show since at its core it was so formulaic.

I did not take to the "addiction companion" excuse for Watson's interaction with Holmes very well at first. If you take it more seriously than just accepting it a plot devise, even within the first two episodes it obviously has been demoted as a priority between the characters in the Holmes/ Watson relationship to something little more than a superficial nuisance as Watson is drawn into Holmes' world of investigation.

And Monk (and the various other detectives mentioned in this thread) are influenced by Holmes - not the other way 'round.

P.S. Caught Morrow on CSI:NY. Surprised to see him. Thought the portrayal was a bit hammy, though.

18. misterdecibel

I watched the 1st episode tonight. It's closer to "Monk" than "Sherlock".

19. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I saw an episode recently for the first time, wouldn't mind seeing another one but as for it's staying power, probably not a lot to be hopeful about. And what's with CBS crime dramas always having some pop tune in the last couple of minutes of the show - this is so cliched and cheesy-sounding. This show does it, Cold Case used to do it, and probably several more.

20. sgb

sgb Senior Member

My wife enjoys it so we watch it. My opinion of House declined after just a few episodes; I think we stopped watching that show altogether fairly quickly. They're both predictable. I'll give this new one a half season before I start looking for something else. That is, unless my wife, keeper of the remote still enjoys it.

21. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you for writing that. I would not have known. I actually had the opposite reaction of you. I enjoyed the Pilot much more and now understand the back story. I thought the second episode got away from the personal interactions and focused too much on being a CSI. If that pattern continues, then I will probably stop watching soon. I do think there is potential for a good show if the writing is strong enough.

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

We've watched ELEMENTARY from the start, though I've nodded off a few times. Thursdays are tough as we start with LAST RESORT on ABC, then PERSON OF INTEREST on CBS, and then this ELEMENTARY show at 10. (Don't recommend DVRs and Hulu - I know about them, occasionally use them, and prefer to watch live TV.)

I wasn't keen on the series as I watched the first episode. I really didn't WANT to liked it, hoping it would crash and burn, and I would only have two do-able hours of TV on Thursdays. My impression of the lead character was that I didn't like him. His accent was too thick, he mumbled a bit, and was sometimes tough to understand. (I think TV producers are somewhat constrained by trying to tell coherent and intricate stories in their allotted 42 minutes, and hire actors who can deliver their lines quickly.)

The second week, I felt it improved, and I began to appreciate the show a bit more, and I think by the third week I was sold. The show appears to be doing pretty well in the ratings, so I think it'll be around for awhile.

Harry

23. I believe it's probably the best new show of this television season. While the formula could get boring in the long run, most of the episodes have been very good and Miller has been great as Sherlock.

24. +1. While the show may have a formula the mysteries have been pretty darn clever.

25. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I agree, I'm enjoying the show immensely. It was picked up for the full season, I could easily see this series getting renewed for season 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.