"Elementary", New CBS Show.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tonyc, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

I was wondering how long it would take the writers to get around to circle around to get Mycrofts other than nefarious intentions. Great job of drawing out the destination. Millers depiction is superb. Liu has been a little flat up until this last episode. She also directed this one. One of the best, if not THE best, drama on broadcast TV.

Karnak likes this.
  2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Just could not get into this show.

3. sgb

sgb Senior Member

The season finale last night was pretty good, too. Obviously, Mycroft has been written out of the show, and Sherlock has set the stage to be working with MI6 next season. The show seems to be waning.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I call it the "Mumble Show".

audiomixer and JerolW like this.
  5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I ran out of steam on this a few weeks ago. I have the last 3 piled up on my DVR. Should I slog through and finish season or let go?

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Slog through.

7. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Good thing we have a DVR so we can backup and try to re- listen to the dialog

jerol

8. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Hmmmm. I have no trouble with the dialog. Maybe because I have the VOLUME turned up. If you want mumbles, see "Person of Interest".
    As for Mycroft, I wouldn't put it past the writers to come up with a way for Sherlock to reinvent him. Miller continues to impress with his depth.

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Miller is absolutely terrific yes. I haven't found much else lately to keep me watching though. Was hoping Natalie Dormer would reappear

Lonson likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

The sound design of the show sucks. On our cable, the commercials are 20 db above average line level. The show sound effects, etc. are right at line and the dialogue (especially from tattoo guy) are at least -25 db. I'd tell the sound engineer that this is television, not the movies. Drives me batty.

11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I talked about this earlier in the thread, and it drives me insane, also. Worst show I've ever experienced when it comes to this problem.

12. Steve Hoffman

I agree. My cable system is virtually uncompressed soundwise (a good thing) and if the show is unbalanced it kills me dead. Most shows do not have this problem. Just this one for some reason.

Don't they have friggin' meters when they mix the sound?

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I was watching the last episode this evening and thought the same thing. Something isn't right with that mix.

14. You're 100% right. It's largely impossible to hear all the dialogue at normal volume levels. The only other show approaching this sound problem is The Americans.

15. I have no problem with the audio on this show, can hear the dialog clearly.

16. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

What did Sherlock mean when he said to Mycroft: "...I know you didn't tell her..."?

17. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I like Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock, however, I have to agree that there are numerous occasions where both my wife and I can't understand a word he is saying even after we already have the volume turned-up up quite a few notches (we receive the show via our local CBS station via Directv). This is the only show where we continually have this problem. There has to be something wrong with the way the sound is recorded for this show.

AJH

jriems likes this.
  18. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I see that this show is conspicuously missing from this week's lineup. No doubt due to CBS showing football on Thurs nights. Is this coming back at some point?

19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yes. Thursday, October 30th.

20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I consider my hearing to be in fairly decent shape; along with my sound system. But I still find myself turning on the closed captions on so many shows to understand the nuances in the dialog, American or British productions.

sgb likes this.
  21. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I am not very good with accents whether Brit, Aussie or Kiwi. I need the subtitles.

22. Definitely the worst show on TV with respect to volume difference between the show and commercials. Yet another attempt to circumvent the rules about loud commercials - they simply record the volume of the dialog on the show so low (except for some rare special effects) that the commercials are blasting by comparison.
    Even with watching strictly on DVR, I am constantly adjusting the volume when watching this.
    I like the show though, so I put up with it.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The audio dynamic range is fixed. Shows tend to reserve the very high end for special effects like explosions and gunfire. The dynamic range doesn't really change for commercials, it's just that obnoxious ads tend to hog the upper range of the spectrum which is what makes them obnoxiously loud.

24. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Same here. I don't know if this is the fault of the network itself, the local station or the cable. The programs that give me the biggest problems are "24" and "Blacklist." There are others, too, like the British comedies on PBS.

25. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes. I always have a problem understanding all of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.