Elevated amp stand?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hobbes4444, Apr 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict Thread Starter

I've been searching without much luck to find some sort of an elevated stand for an amp. My goal is to take the amp out of a cabinet and put it on a stand above a subwoofer.

I think what will fit the bill is just a single shelf with dimensions of around 18x18x18. I know vibrations from the sub when active could be an issue. But it's either that with some additional vibration isolation, or overheating in the cabinet. I think the latter will be worse ;)

2. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

When I faced the same dilemma in the past I used a thick rubber outdoor patio paver from Home Depot. I had my amp (mcintosh mc2500) sitting on it for one summer with no ill effects. Another option if you're patient maybe you could hunt down what you need from the furniture section of Goodwill.

bever70 likes this.
  3. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

How about an IKEA Lack coffee table? 21 x 21 x 17” (55 x 55 x 45cm).

In the past, I've used these and added a stone slab on top, cut to the same dimensions as the top surface. This was a surprisingly effective support for some tube amps I had.

You might find the. Very light table, coupled to a heavy stone additional plinth makes for effective isolation from the sub.

timind and hobbes4444 like this.
  4. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

BTW, I later enhanced this arrangement by adding a second stone slab, with a partially inflated bike inner tube in-between. Tomb-like silence and isolation ensued. :cool:

trd likes this.
  5. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

Great idea. Exactly what Townshend Audio did when they first put out the Seismic sinks, which someone accidentally broke open and discovered it was an inner tube along with whatever technology Townshend contributed to the device. Isolation is too much overlooked when people consider improvements to their system. If it's vibrating (even subtly), how do we know what it truly sounds like? I had quite a surprise around 20 years ago when I went over to a music composer's house with my Arcam FMJ 23 CD player and some Nordost interconnects and put it in his system. His living room was as big as my parents' house, and he had his equipment in a small den off to the side.

When I heard what the Arcam was capable of (a musical presentation I never got in my own system, I realized that isolation is an enormous factor in opening up the high frequencies, as well as making the smallest of dynamic inflections vastly more audible. Barring that, the best isolation platforms (whether bicycle tire or some really (overly) expensive racks on the market really makes one's system "sing." Most of us didn't really think of that 40 years ago, any more than we even entertained the idea that a power cord could have any effect on the musical results. But isolation is paramount, especially in small to medium size listening rooms.

jusbe likes this.
  6. VapourTrailUS

VapourTrailUS Internet “Person”

Doing something similar. I bought some small metal legs from amazon. and now I'm waiting for a wooden cutting board I commissioned to arrive. I'm going to marry the two :)

7. harby

harby Forum Resident

Am I doing it right?

[​IMG]

trd, hi_watt, bever70 and 2 others like this.
  8. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

Um.....no.

9. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Ha ha! Cute. :D

10. harby

harby Forum Resident

Don't worry about me, I think I've got it sorted.

[​IMG]

trd and bever70 like this.
  11. Bodhi1

Bodhi1 Active Member

What is your budget roughly?

12. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

:laugh:

hi_watt likes this.
  13. noway

noway Forum Resident

What you need is "stacked Lacks" with the legs of the bottom one pointing up like a dead dog and held to the upper legs with black carpet tape.

14. VapourTrailUS

VapourTrailUS Internet “Person”

Buy nice cutting board. Buy set of hairpin legs. Sorted.

15. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict Thread Starter

Budget is $100 or so.

16. harby

harby Forum Resident

User profile's sub is 12.2" H + legs. 12.2 W, 15" D.

15" is also appropriate depth for an amp.

Ikea has adjustable OLOV legs that start at 24" H. Combine with 20"x15" depth solid cabinet face door, (or two with a kiddie bike inner tube layer between) for a shelf that looks like a tall audio rack and can span across the sub without excessive depth. 30" if you want more short legs for more layers of gear.

Ikea was out of tons of stuff last I went shopping for legs myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.