Ella Fitzgerald Centenary Celebration Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

And just to not be "spurious" (whatever that's supposed to mean), there is no mention of any "Digital Download" for the product being discussed:

“Also on 21 April, Ella Fitzgerald Sings The George and Ira Gershwin Song Books, a collaboration with Nelson Riddle, will be released as a limited edition 6LP vinyl box set. A replica of the rare 5LP set originally released in 1959, the Ella 100 edition recreates for the first time since its initial release the original stereo box set on vinyl, the originally included five lithographs by French impressionist painter Bernard Buffet, as well as the hardcover book, Words And Music, which for this set has been updated with additional historical information and an afterword by noted author David Ritz. The 2017 collection was newly at Capitol Studios in Hollywood where the album was originally recorded. A sixth LP enlarges the original 10-inch instrumental EP with orchestra tracks on Side One and additional material from the sessions on Side Two. One of the bonus tracks, a mono alternate take of ‘Oh, Lady Be Good!’ is on vinyl for the first time. The box set is available exclusively at UDiscover

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

From the uDiscover description (missing in part from the OP article):

“The 2017 collection was newly mastered by Ron McMaster at Capitol Studios in Hollywood where the album was originally recorded in 1959 under the supervision of Verve Records founder Norman Granz.”

Kevin55, Imagine70 and teag like this.
  3. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks Bob.

Ron has done some really good work.

SteveM and Bob F like this.
  4. teag

teag Forum Resident

Decided to do a quick comparison of my 1959 mono and the SC Gray remaster I mention above.

The mid and upper range on the mono sound really great. Where is is lacking is on the low end. So a gem like "Our Love is Here to Stay" is not as gripping on the mono because it lacks the oomph, if you will. Ella's voice does indeed sounds very nice on the mono. So both are very enjoyable, I just prefer the added low end on the SC set.

Sim2 and paulmock like this.
  5. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Any track listing for the 4 CD set yet?

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Here's a clip that illustrates what I'm talking about. The mono recording used about 10 mics and was mixed live, during the session, at Capitol, using Capitol echo chambers; the stereo version was recorded simultaneously at Capitol along with the mono version, but using 3 mics, then mixed to stereo at Radio Recorders using Radio Recorders echo, and it's my understanding that the 3-track tapes were not preserved once the Radio Recorders stereo mixdown was completed.

Here's a clip that starts with the mono LP, then transfers to the stereo mix from the 1998 stereo CD, which uses the original stereo mix. Masterings aside, this illustrates the differences in recording style, and I'll ask that you listen to the drums, specifically:
    https://app.box.com/s/tj37gyajeceh1ul08lvrhxtfgbpbb3ea

8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Interesting, indeed. But the thought of having that beautifully produced LP package all squeaky clean and new along with clean, clear vinyl in what is (overall) great stereo sound is too good to pass up...I think...

9. MLutthans

No argument from me. As I said on page one, it sure looks like a nicely done set.

paulmock likes this.
  10. Listening to that clip illustrates to me why, in my opinion at least, this material is actually superior in stereo (never thought I'd say that either). I can certainly appreciate Matt's point about the drums; they sound distant and insipid in the stereo mix compared to the upfront explosive quality they exhibit in the mono mix. But, with that said, unlike say The Beatles, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones or Dylan in mono, where the sound is punchier and arguably far more exciting, purer and direct in mono, with softer jazz material and especially big band swing records, the pure richness and wider range of instrumentation textures just come across far better in wider stereo. The mono clip does sound punchier and harder but for this material I honestly believe the stereo mix serves it better with its gentler swaying and lusher, more open, less congested, big band sound. It's all a matter of conjecture and opinion at the end of the day.

.crystalised., Mazzy and paulmock like this.
  11. You fellas are very lucky. For just $150 this beautiful set can be yours with free shipping included. If I lived on that side of the pond my pre-order would already be two weeks old. I can't justify paying double the price to import it though, especially when some chancers are currently offering the SC set sealed for just a little more.

paulmock and RiRiIII like this.
  12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Same feelings here...

paulmock and SteveM like this.
  13. Why oh why oh why isn't uDiscover UK going to sell this? That must be one of the single most bizarre, short-sighted and frustrating decisions any retailer has made on a physical release in a decade or more. They're even offering 15% discounts at the moment. Of course these also do not apply to the US site. Am I mad? You bet!

RiRiIII likes this.
  14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I have to agree. There is so much rubbish on that site as well, something classy like this deserves a UK release. It's not like she wasn't popular here.

SteveM likes this.
  15. Or indeed all over the world! Given the UK site typically serves most of Europe as well, it's not just UK buyers who are losing out, it's all European customers. Either that or they just expect all non-US customers to pay double the price? After all, it's supposedly "limited" but they haven't specified any numbers yet. So what does limited mean?

Jim B. likes this.
  16. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Is this true for most of her Verve output or just this album?

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

As Steve pointed out in another Ella thread, Verve was a small "start up" label in the 50's and had it's records pressed at several different plants across the country. So....basically, it's a cap shoot sound-wise.

SteveM likes this.
  18. MLutthans

I think it was SOP for Verve at the time to not keep the 3-tracks once the stereo mixes were approved. I'm guessing @Steve Hoffman can add some info.

(Notice how you don't see many ADD Verve CDs from the 3-track era?)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    jtaylor likes this.
  19. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Where did Verve/Granz keep the tapes they did retain? RR?

20. MLutthans

No idea. Bloomfield, NJ, at their manufacturing facility, maybe?

21. I've been thinking of picking up some of Ella Fitzgerald music for years, but never did. The 4 CD set may be a nice one to start with, but I'll wait for the reviews first.

22. Just buy "Voice Of Jazz" 10CD box set; it's only a little more than the pre-order price of the 4CD set and it's really beautifully put together!

RiRiIII and Kevin55 like this.
  23. Thanks for the suggestion, that indeed looks like a much better purchase.

SteveM likes this.
  24. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I just listened to Matt's clips and I like the Mono it has a crisp sound noticeably on the drums.

MLutthans likes this.
  25. MLutthans

Just checked, though, and the M-G-M merger -- M-G-M being the manufacturing facility I referred to -- didn't happen until 1961, so I'm guessing they were stored somewhere in/near Santa Monica, at least during the "Songbook" era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.