Ella Fitzgerald Centenary Celebration Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Matt, regarding the three-tracks from Capitol, I'm not sure. In the 1990s I checked and there was some stuff still there, a little Ella. For example, listen to the 1990s CD issue of PORGY & BESS with Louie. Some songs on there are obviously remixed from the three-tracks and sound great. A few things on there are old stereo mixes from RR and sound TERRIBLE!

So, it's possible that certain items escaped the flood waters..

RiRiIII and MLutthans like this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

By "still there," do you mean tapes stored at Capitol?
    I only have the 1985 CD; may have to get the '90.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Matt, no I meant in possession of VERVE. I doubt there was anything at Capitol, but who knows? It would have gone to Verve eventually.

I'm just saying that they have some stuff at Verve from the Capitol Ella era but probably not much. For example the Rodgers & Hart, nothing but the RR two track and mono Capitol (going by the CD). I think if they could have, they would have remixed that one. An important album. DCC wanted to do it but we passed do to the dodgy sound. I should have done the entire thing in beautiful mono but audiophiles were already screaming about the Cole Porter DCC only being in mono so we passed. Silly audiophiles.

C6H12O6, RiRiIII, paulmock and 2 others like this.
  4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Am I'm not seeing correctly or missing something? I see 6 LP's but only 5 record sleeves. :help:

5. alanbeat

alanbeat A music loving Chap. PipPip!

agggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

6. alanbeat

mystallcrookingfighty! we need this!

7. alanbeat

I hate digital downloads!

8. alanbeat

please PRETTY PLEASE tell me I can purchase this in the uk!

9. You can only purchase it from the US. The UK is more interested in Kylie than Ella. The UK does not count anymore.

10. alanbeat

Your reply sir is indeed ungentlemanly and unnecessary. Unworthy of this blog. Good day to you.

11. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I realise that you're actually in the UK, so some irony is understood, but I think that you might have chosen a slightly more contemporary reference. :mad:

12. Sense of humour in short supply where you live? Come on, it was a JOKE, albeit one with a pointed remark about the way the UK is often side-lined and doesn't get a lot of the material that other countries get (especially the USA), and maybe this has something to do with the market here? As my acerbic remark was not addressed to anyone in particular I fail to see what you find so offensive and ungentlemanly about it? Perhaps being the perfect gentleman yourself, in as much as you go out of your way to point this out, you might wish to elaborate further?

13. Who would you have chosen? Don't tell me Kylie is all 'class' and has been adopted by the more high-brow set due to her 30 disc collection of the Great American songbook? Find me any trashy pop star of today and I'll gladly amend my post. I'm just so out of touch these days! ;)

14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Since you ask (and had I wanted to make your point at all), I'd have said 'The UK is more interested in Ellie Goulding than Ella Fitzgerald'. Speaking as an owner of the Verve Songbooks set though, I'm at a loss to see why anyone would think that the UK was some sort of Ella-free zone, or that UK taste was somehow leading the world in a race to the bottom.

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Agree highly, this set sounds way superior in mono. Also, lower generation mono tapes have survived (Stereo mixes I am aware of having survived are second or third-fourth generation, original mono tapes should still be extant)

MLutthans likes this.
  16. Why? Because we always seem to be the last in the queue for these things, if we ever get them at all. It doesn't look as though we will get this set which is plainly ridiculous. We aren't a priority. That's my point. Meanwhile what some other people might describe as "cookie cutter" music appears to get all the priority. As for the UK being an "Ella-free zone", have you looked at the UK UDiscover website lately? There is but one CD set listed! It's not about the UK leading anyone to the bottom of anything either. It was meant as a jokey comment with a pointed remark about the lack of priority for good material in the UK. Why we're arguing I'm not sure. I thought we were all music lovers and were on the same side?

Imagine70 likes this.
  17. teag

teag Forum Resident

If only......

18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

We're not arguing and I noted the irony in your comment at the outset. I just think that you might convince US readers that somehow people don't 'get' Ella in the UK, whereas I just checked Amazon.co.uk and Ella Gold is #192 in the Pop chart ((#3 in Vocal Jazz, behind only Gregory Porter) right now. The idea that she is languishing in oblivion is just not true.

19. Equally, as I said a few posts back, the UK uDiscover website has NOTHING whatsoever about the Ella Centenary, let alone pre-orders for the planned releases. This is in stark contrast to the US site. I take your point though even if I'm not sure you needed to make it. ;)

20. I'm partly bumping this thread but is anyone outside the US even slightly tempted to buy the new Gershwin LP set from uDiscover USA store?

21. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Any info if the 4 CD set will include any rarities?

22. No rarities. Besides, The Lady Of Jazz 10 disc set is only slightly more expensive anyway!

23. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Many thanks. I already purchased that one. Also nothing really new in there - I think there was a misleading announcement for that one. I will save my money for the Decca downloads then...

24. I guess not then!

25. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.